Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

voiceless anal fricative posted:

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, has anyone finished the Cradle series by Will Wight? My interest (and the quality) has cratered after the big tournament in book 8 so I don't think I can be bothered finishing the series unless it picks up again.

I finished and enjoyed it, and while I felt like the quality was pretty consistent throughout the tournament arc was my least favourite, so if you enjoyed it apart from that it's probably worth continuing; book 9 finally brings things back around to Sacred Valley and the whole reason Lindon got into this mess in the first place, and then books 10-12 are about all the problems that have been set in motion throughout the preceding nine books slamming into each other and exploding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Heavy Metal posted:

Those first four or whatever Magic Kingdom For Sale books were big favs of mine when I was a kid, I gotta give that to Terry Brooks. It felt a little bit modern and different than Tolkien, I gather Shannara is like you're saying though. My parents happened to be fans of all that stuff as well as Tolkein.

I'm a bit less of a fan of the sequels and I never read the last two in the series, but Magic Kingdom For Sale Sold is top tier light fantasy IMO.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jedit posted:

I'm a bit less of a fan of the sequels and I never read the last two in the series, but Magic Kingdom For Sale Sold is top tier light fantasy IMO.

Nice! Plus, it's got a cool dog guy.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Thanks for all the recommendations yesterday. I haven't read most of that, so I've got plenty to keep me occupied. With such a large genre it's hard to know what I'm buying without getting some ideas first.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Those first four or whatever Magic Kingdom For Sale books were big favs of mine when I was a kid, I gotta give that to Terry Brooks. It felt a little bit modern and different than Tolkien, I gather Shannara is like you're saying though. My parents happened to be fans of all that stuff as well as Tolkein.

Sword of Shanarra was 100% extruded tolkien ripoff, but from there, as it moved back towards post-post-apocalyptic fantasy, it was substantially better than Sword, and then wrapped around to bad again.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Also, I’m curious. Has anyone here read the Silo series? Was reading through it a little bit at B&N and I’m undecided if I wanna buy the full book or not.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Also, I’m curious. Has anyone here read the Silo series? Was reading through it a little bit at B&N and I’m undecided if I wanna buy the full book or not.

I've read them, and considered them worthwhile in a fallout fanfic way: good world building, simple but heartfelt?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I read the first one and remember being unimpressed.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
If you mean Wool, Shift, and Dust by Howley, they're... fine. I got the whole series for either free or a dollar way back when, and didn't feel ripped off. But the ending where he actually had to start explaining things... You could say that it was written serially, and some events did not necessarily have a plan attached when they were first added to the story, or you could call it a series of increasingly dubious rear end-pulls.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by VE Schwab - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084357H23/

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XD75HGV/

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I bailed on the Silo TV series and tried to read the books instead. Made it to the end of the first book and decided not to continue, since the big reveal at the end was setting up something that the writing wasn’t going to be able to pay off: big :lost: energy.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'd compare the first book more to a quick ghost story than sci fi. It has a spooky Lovecraftian "look at this weird town and their unexplained traditions" vibe. If you go in expecting something light and atmospheric, you'll enjoy. If you want a metaphor for humanity or hard sci-fi, no.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Picked up Accelerando after the thread discussion a couple of days ago, was surprised to see I owned it and gave up after five pages. I see why I did, if it wasn’t recommended I would have seen it as a credulous early 2000s Stephenson wanna-be, but drat, it goes places, and I’m glad I read it.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Remulak posted:

Picked up Accelerando after the thread discussion a couple of days ago, was surprised to see I owned it and gave up after five pages. I see why I did, if it wasn’t recommended I would have seen it as a credulous early 2000s Stephenson wanna-be, but drat, it goes places, and I’m glad I read it.

I really enjoyed it. I think it’s head and shoulders above the Laundry Files.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

haven't read Accelerando in over a decade; might be time to do that now

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I need some recommendations for cyberpunk noir. The kind where some kinda cyberspace figures into it. I can only remember reading Neuromancer, Snow Crash and maybe a few short stories in anthologies.

Specifically, I want something not so much action packed, but something slower that kinda waxes philosophical, like scifi Raymond Chandler. Even better if a kidnapping plot is involved and/or something to do with dark money or mad science of some kind

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 1, 2024

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Have you read Trouble And Her Friends by Melissa Scott?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Stuporstar posted:

I need some recommendations for cyberpunk noir. The kind where some kinda cyberspace figures into it. I can only remember reading Neuromancer, Snow Crash and maybe a few short stories in anthologies.

Specifically, I want something not so much action packed, but something slower that kinda waxes philosophical, like scifi Raymond Chandler. Even better if a kidnapping plot is involved and/or something to do with dark money or mad science of some kind

read the rest of william gibson.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

^^

ToxicFrog posted:

Have you read Trouble And Her Friends by Melissa Scott?

I haven’t. It looks out of print and not easy to get in Canada. Maybe my friend with the used bookstore can help me track a copy down

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Particularly Spook Country, given the elements listed.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Stuporstar posted:

George Alec Effinger is the guy you want

Specifically the series that starts with When Gravity Fails

Anode
Dec 24, 2005

Nail me to my car and I'll tell you who you are
I think Nick Harkaway’s Titanium Noir was written to that exact brief, sans cyberspace. I’m not sure I would recommend it exactly, but it hit the spot.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

fez_machine posted:

George Alec Effinger
[quote="Hieronymous Alloy" post="538678004"]

Anode posted:

I think Nick Harkaway’s Titanium Noir
Above all great, but why not read non-sci-fi noir? Red Harvest is a basis for so much but just great on its own, and and while sci-fi had tons of great alcoholic speedfreak writers struggling to make a living by the page in the pulp era Jim Thompson outwrote 90% of them.

So much of what makes me love genre writing is putting me in a weird unfamiliar place, and understanding people that live there, and their motivations. Mike Hammer’s world is more alien than Becky Chambers’.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Remulak posted:

Above all great, but why not read non-sci-fi noir? Red Harvest is a basis for so much but just great on its own, and and while sci-fi had tons of great alcoholic speedfreak writers struggling to make a living by the page in the pulp era Jim Thompson outwrote 90% of them.

So much of what makes me love genre writing is putting me in a weird unfamiliar place, and understanding people that live there, and their motivations. Mike Hammer’s world is more alien than Becky Chambers’.

I do specifically want to cram cyberpunk hacker stuff in my brain before I start my next novel. But I’m definitely also gonna read some straight noir to absorb the vibe. Especially anything with a non-Western European setting. Spy novels might also fit the bill, if they’re more procedural/psychological like The City & the City (forgot to mention) rather than a thriller.

fez_machine posted:

George Alec Effinger is the guy you want

Specifically the series that starts with When Gravity Fails

This is one I can get at the library. Thanks!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

fermun posted:

I absolutely love my Kobo, 99% of Pradmer's sales posts are on Kobo as well as Amazon, it has direct library integration without having to use a computer as an intermediary to load your library ebook rentals, and I've had mine for 7 years and it still has great battery life. One big downside is that it's hard to get any books that are published on Amazon Unlimited, which I sometimes run into from recommendations in this thread, Fred the Zombie Accountant or whatever it was called was my most recent run-in with that.

You *can* also buy on Amazon, remove the DRM, and load it on your Kobo via Calibre. But that's always fiddly and annoying to get set up in the first place, and I'm increasingly just not bothering with stuff that's only available on Amazon.

(Like that antimemetics one - I'll probably just read that on the SCP wiki eventually.)

But yeah Kobo is great for all of the above reasons.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I also wanted to say that my last three years of sci-fi and fantasy reading has been about 95% based on recommendations from this thread, and so far the hit rate has been very high.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Effinger is amazing. For more recent stuff, Void Star by Zachary Mason is very cyberpunk, very noir, and very good.

Fake edit: and with Gibson, get the Burning Chrome short story collection. Gibson has written some great books, and his short stories are even better.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stuporstar posted:

altered carbon? it's very noir, but also v action and not any cyberspace to speak of though

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Biffmotron posted:

Effinger is amazing.

Effinger is the good poo poo. Never mind genres, just read Effinger.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

NinjaDebugger posted:

Sword of Shanarra was 100% extruded tolkien ripoff, but from there, as it moved back towards post-post-apocalyptic fantasy, it was substantially better than Sword, and then wrapped around to bad again.

Yeah, Elfstones and Wishsong are pretty decent.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lead out in cuffs posted:

You *can* also buy on Amazon, remove the DRM, and load it on your Kobo via Calibre. But that's always fiddly and annoying to get set up in the first place, and I'm increasingly just not bothering with stuff that's only available on Amazon.

(Like that antimemetics one - I'll probably just read that on the SCP wiki eventually.)

If anyone's curious, an amateur filmmaker has just started a dramatisation of There Is No Antimemetics Division on YouTube. Episode 1 (of 4) went up a few days ago.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I wish I could recommend that dramatization, but... Yeah, it felt like it had its tongue planted firmly in its cheek the way a lot of SCP-related content does, whereas the novel was just pure loving dread and one of the best things I read in a year of good books.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Biffmotron posted:

Effinger is amazing. For more recent stuff, Void Star by Zachary Mason is very cyberpunk, very noir, and very good.

Fake edit: and with Gibson, get the Burning Chrome short story collection. Gibson has written some great books, and his short stories are even better.

I actually have Burning Chrome in my kindle library, and it’s been bumped up to the top of my tbr pile.

sebmojo posted:

altered carbon? it's very noir, but also v action and not any cyberspace to speak of though

Yeah, having watched the series I already know it’s not the vibe I’m looking for

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Harkaway's Gnomon is sort of? and also very good. Made that list with GB

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Anode posted:

I think Nick Harkaway’s Titanium Noir was written to that exact brief, sans cyberspace. I’m not sure I would recommend it exactly, but it hit the spot.

Have you read The Gone-Away World? If so, what’d you think?

I ask because it’s the only Harkaway I’ve read, and I absolutely loved it, so I’m trying to gauge if I should check out Titanium Noir

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

eighty-four merc posted:

Have you read The Gone-Away World? If so, what’d you think?

I ask because it’s the only Harkaway I’ve read, and I absolutely loved it, so I’m trying to gauge if I should check out Titanium Noir
I think most of his stuff is good. Wasn't much of a fan of Angelmaker but it was still a fairly fun read.
I'd put The Gone-Away World and Gnomon as his best, though.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Going to admit that The Gone-Away World ended up on my DNF pile, I think I've tried to get through that book like three times now. I think someone ITT described it very accurately when they said that the prose was like "Vonnegut but with more lol random".

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

But yeah Kobo is great for all of the above reasons.

Antimemetics is on Gumroad, DRM-free, for $5.

But yeah, I've also pretty much stopped bothering with Amazon exclusives. IIRC their most recent DRM iteration hasn't been solved yet so it's hit and miss whether you can peel any given book you buy anyways, depending on when it was published and how much of a dickhead the publisher was feeling that day, and I've already got more books than I have time to read via kobo/google play/gumroad/smashwords/storybundle/etc.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Just re-read Lev Grossman’s The Magicians cause I forgot I read it before I started it again, and am I totally off-base in feeling like Quentin is a full-blown Holden Caufield baby bitch rear end in a top hat protagonist? I remember not liking him much the first time I read it, too, and this time around it turned into a hate-read like halfway through. It really did feel like “what if The Catcher in the Rye was a magic school fantasy but with an even more unbearable character”

Kinda disappointing follow-up to my previous read Legends & Lattes, which admittedly is a totally different book but was also way more enjoyable to read.

edit: also speaking of L&L, anything recs for a similar (but not derivative) vibe? I’d say Ursula Vernon’s “T. Kingfisher” Paladin books but I’ve read all of those, and I tried Lawrence Watt-Evans but iirc the books started feeling pretty rote (vague recollections of his main char just dumb luck Mary Suing into babes again and again?). Which is funny cause you could definitely argue that the Paladin books are all just (mostly) lady main chars dumb luck Mary Suing into paladin babes, but UVs characters all feel way more grounded and real I guess idk.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
No he just sucks.