Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Anyone got recommendations for a good bit of exploration-based fiction? I just read Lovercraft's At the Mountains of Madness, and I realized I have kind of missed reading that old-school style of exploration fiction. Or something like Rendezvous with Rama (original one obviously). There's just something fascinating for me about people exploring completely alien or strange places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

Darmok is definitely considered one of the best episodes ever, I've never even seen anyone get snippy over the universal translator not working. What nerds.

There's so many other places that the universal translator makes little to no sense if you try to think about it (for instance, Picard using a French phrase, then having to explain it in English, or Klingon somehow being immune to translation). It's like the transporters, it's there as a way to make the show work, and shouldn't be examined unless an episode wants to use that piece of tech as a hinge point, and then you should just assume it works that way for that episode. There's no way to really reconcile all the ways writers have changed how it works.

So it works until it doesn't, then doesn't work until it does.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Kestral posted:

56% of the way through Rogue Moon, and I can't remember the last time I felt so bait-and-switched by a book.

Premise: there's a million-year-old structure on the moon that kills anyone who enters it in horrible ways if they don't puzzle out and obey its bizarre rules, so we're going to clone and teleport people over and over into its maw to brute-force the puzzle until we figure out what the hell is going on.

Reality: a weirdly ahead of its time and fairly explicit exploration of toxic masculinity that just drags and drags from one snippy conversation to another.

This is one of the few times I saw that a book was published in 1960 and thought it might be a good thing, because I figured it would focus on the Big Dumb (Malicious) Object instead of human drama, but no, it's just about how much of a piece of poo poo the explorer is. For people who've read this, is there anything in the back half of this book that's worth reading if what I want is more of a focus on the, y'know, Rogue Moon and less of Barker being insufferable for pages at a time? Really I just want a book-length Diamond Dogs, or a book that's just the first part of Origin Complex but like 400 pages, or an Aching God where the dungeon with a hideous mind in its walls is more than the last 50 pages or so.

I just read Rogue Moon on a recommendation from the thread, and I felt very similar coming out of it. It has such a great concept at the heart of the story, but it's also so melodramatic. I don't know if its the right way to say it, but it sort of felt like a stage play? Like all the main characters deliver these long monologues that I cannot imagine someone in real life saying. And all the main characters are pretty unpleasant in their own ways.

I'd still recommend finishing it out, it's not very long and there's certainly some good stuff near the end that's more in the exploring implications of the sci-fi stuff over the character drama. As someone in this thread said (spoiler if you haven't finished it I think) the exploration of creating a clone that has no reason not to think it's the so-called real version and the ethics surrounding that have been done a ton in the time since, like in the Prestige, or even with Tom Riker in TNG, but this is an early example of it. I also enjoyed the bits about error handling when trying to clone, and how do you know if something did go wrong when combined with the issues of human memory itself..

Don't expect too much in the way of a resolution though.