Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I was confused about why anyone could be confused about whether or not Alan Dean Foster wrote non-adaptation material, since that was where I remembered encountering him. Then I realized I was thinking of Craig Shaw Gardener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I am an outlier in not being a Cradle fan, so I am not the best evangelist for it. That said, based on my read of the first book it doesn't scratch the 'epic fantasy' itch if you define that as ASoIaF/Malazan/WoT-esque; the scale is perhaps comparable but, at least with Cradle, there is a primary protagonist perspective and if you jump into someone else's head it's largely to explain or support something that has happened or is about to happen (or is foreshadowed to happen in later books) to that protagonist. Maybe it changes as the series goes on, although I was not interested in finding out; in any case, I don't think it's a match for the ask.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

I had only known him from the Wild Cards series, which I ate up. For a while.

My online nickname was Popinjay for a period of time, I ate those books up. On re-examination later in life, uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

wanna return to this, fourth book of the four starts off with an antagonist witch that, shock! horror! turns men into women! and one of the first symptoms is that they start to care about their house's cleanliness!

That sucks, although as someone who has read Chalker it feels kind of quaint.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

pik_d posted:

just need to get the Esslemont novels now I think?

you do not

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

An historic issue with adaptations of Earthsea is that no one quite gets (or got, and ignored) that LeGuin's intention was that those characters were capital-b Black.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

I don't remember his transformation thing having much to do with being furry although I was not a completionist back when I was a less discriminating reader and do not care to try and remember in any case.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

NinjaDebugger posted:

bimbofication

That's the one I remember :smith:

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

They don't have Amazon's massive supply chain advantage or pull with publishers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

re: language and loan words, for years I had a snobby attitude about KJ Parker because one of his books used the word "kudos" and I found it unbearably anachronistic and wrote him off as a hack.

When I learned about it being a Greek loanword from the 18th century I felt quite foolish.