Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I cooked this pair for dinner last night and they came out pretty great.

https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/masoor-dal-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-36819

https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/aloo-baingan-masala-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-37716

My only complaint is that the potatoes (I used russet) were sort of hard and flavorless. I followed the cooking times in the recipe, but the potatoes just weren't progressing and at a certain point my onions and garlic were almost burning so I had to move on and add the tomatoes. I'm used to potatoes being totally tender and the sauce infusing a great flavor all the way through, so I'm not sure whether I used the wrong variety or cooked them incorrectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Is there a rule of thumb or other guideline for buying south Asian spices? I recently read about a recall of tainted cinnamon applesauce, where the lead was traced to the use of lead chromate as an adulterant. It further referred to two studies which showed that a significant portion of turmeric imported from Bangladesh and India was adulterated with lead chromate to enhance color and increase weight. Should I be concerned with the 200-400 gram bags of spice from the local international grocer?

Spices can be contaminated intentionally but can also be contaminated from the soil they are grown in or from lead-containing pesticides or processing equipment.

I don’t really have any good answers because this is a rabbit hole I have been in for nearly a year. The lack of regulations in the US, complexity of the supply chain, and varying levels of consumption from person to person make it hard to give any general advice. The advice above is good, get your spices from a reputable domestic (assuming you are in the US) source, whole if possible. But that doesn’t totally rule out the contamination in many popular US brands.

If you are still concerned, ultimately the only thing that really matters is blood lead level which costs like $50 per test.