Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Grand Fromage posted:

Any good sources for Malaysian Indian? I dunno if it's even a variant or just South? Indian food that happens to be in Malaysia but everything I had there was amazing.

Malaysian Indian food is pretty cool and good (I go to Malaysia every couple of years) but and it runs the range from "unmistakably traditional Indian food" (Dal etc.) to "OK, this is just what Malaysian Indians eat now I guess" (Mamak Mee, which is just a different Mee Goreng).

You mostly get it from a food court style environment, it's insanely cheap even for Malaysian food, and they never, ever close, all of which are great. The restaurants are known as "Mamak", which is also the name of the ethnic group of Indian Muslims who live in Malaysia and make up a fairly sizeable contingent of the population. This sounds racist but I dunno.

Some of the best food in Malaysia is Mamak such as Roti Canai and assorted variations. Usually comes served with the worlds thinnest yellow Dal and some sambal. I get this at every opportunity when there usually. Mamak Mee is very popular too, mostly similar to typical Malaysian stir fry but most have some kind of sweet soy (kecap manis) and tomato in there which makes it a bit different. May be made with 2 minute noodles, and this is normal and good.

I have in the past tried to find resources for Malaysian Indian food and have been unable to do so. If I find any good resources I'll pass it on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Split red lentils don't take long, whole red lentils you should probably pressure cook.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

theparag0n posted:

I made a Dhal!

Mung and Coconut dhal from https://www.heynutritionlady.com/mung-bean-and-coconut-curry/ using split mung beans and no turmeric because I'd run out 😭

with quick pickled onion (thin sliced onions in balsamic vinegar and sea salt), shedloads of coriander and garlic pickle. Served with tandoori roti.

So good!

Does the pressure cooker do something to spices? This has a lot of spices for 1 cup of beans.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I realise again I’m thinking of Australian tablespoons, which are bigger.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Stamping my Indian ground chilli powder with "does not gently caress around" for the second time.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Went to an Indian restaurant today and had dosa. There was one ingredient in the mix that was like a long piece of grass. it didn't have any particular flavour (like when you've left a clove or huge piece of ginger in), and was very fibrous. Any idea what this may have been?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Cool, yes it was this.

And yes, it was in the sambhar