Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Mr.Misfit posted:

The hell? When was this announced?! I really liked Oxenfree ....7 years back? Wow, time really does fly.

Has it really been that long, poo poo.
"Play it as a standalone story or dive deeper by playing the original – it's up to you". I don't remember anything about the first game, and I'm sure I didn't get all the endings, but I may give the new one a try because I remember liking the original. So weird seeing Netflix as the publisher of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Pipski posted:

I picked this up hoping it would do for TR2 (which I loved, was the first game I played on the PS1) what the anniversary edition of TR1 did for the original.

It doesn't.

I could put up with the shonky graphics (oh, which are wayyy too dark unless you switch to the o.g. graphics, with no way I've found to adjust the gamma), but it seems that - if you're planning to use a controller - some of the standard moves don't work at all if you set it to the 'modern' control scheme. The action button, needed for ledge grabs, climbing out of water, flipping switches etc. just doesn't work at all, and you can't tap back to do the little hop backwards in order to drop down and hang off a ledge either, so it seems to be effectively unplayable unless you go mouse + keyboard or use the original tank controls. (This is with a PS5 controller and the recommended Steam control scheme. idk if you could finagle some working settings by reconfiguring the setup in Steam, and I certainly can't be arsed to try, so I just refunded it.)

Not a fan of the modern controls either. They feel pointless even. Honestly expected a lot more from these remasters.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

so what's the verdict on Penny's Big Breakaway?
are the controls actually as bad as people on steam say?

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCW4HkZHP6Y

this looks good, I genuinely can't decide if I want to play DD2 or this on release. Why do they have to come out at the same time... I guess one of them will be on sale when I buy it at least.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Thoom posted:

I'm waiting on Rise of the Ronin. None of my friends have PS5s, and the Team Ninja games are always more fun in co-op, so the choice is made for me.

I totally forgot you can play nioh games in coop. Is it good? Can you complete the whole game together? Do you both progress at the same time or just the host?

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Thoom posted:

The whole game, except for the tutorial and a few brief solo missions. Generally a single boss, or a story section with no fighting. Everybody progresses together.

I'd suggest jumping straight into Nioh 2, personally. The mechanics are much more refined than the first game, and the stories are mostly unrelated. And also complete nonsense unless you went to high school in Japan or have otherwise acquired an encyclopedic knowledge of the Sengoku period. The game doesn't bother to properly introduce or develop any characters or events because it assumes you already know them by heart.

I’ve completed both games so yeah if I can find someone to play with I’ll do nioh 2.
Do you still have to restart the mission from scratch if you die too many times?

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Thoom posted:

Yes, but the gauge is pretty generous. My friends and I aren't particularly great at games and I don't recall having to full restart very many times.

Okay good, I thought it was a bit of an issue in nioh 1 tbh

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Owl Inspector posted:

No, you can restart from shrine when the gauge empties instead of having to restart the whole mission. the only penalty is that it lowers the glory reward from the mission, which is completely ignorable. I played nioh 2 multiplayer for something like 120 hours and it’s absolutely great

This sounds really good, thanks

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

https://www.gematsu.com/2024/03/stalker-legends-of-the-zone-trilogy-ps4-pre-orders-go-live-in-japan
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Legends of the Zone Trilogy PS4 pre-orders go live in Japan

Wasn't expecting this to ever come to console. I wonder how it'll play on a controller. They'll have to redo the UI quite a bit. Almost aiming on a controller will be tough unless they add good aim assist or better yet gyro controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Fate Accomplice posted:

yeah after watching Cohh play for the last ~90 minutes I'm gonna wait for 1.0

Is it just the performance or is the game not lacking right now too?