Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Its shark time baby :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

That was really beautiful and also insane. 10/10

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

What is this?
Oh i filmed myself making GBS threads in the woods
:discourse:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Baron La Croix posted:

What if Kobeni made a contract with the Death Devil and that's what's kept her alive while everybody she meets dies

Or my pet theory the reason she survived the darkness devil is because that’s who she made a deal with in the first place

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

NowonSA posted:

I'm also realizing that with things like the Gun Devil able to massacre vast swathes of people basically instantly and the Darkness Devil just immediately owning anything it wants to, War Devil's powers seem incredibly weak by comparison. They seemed strong to me at first glance, but only in a "this thing's gotta be nasty in a 1 on 1 fight" way and not a "gonna own everyone immediately" way. I feel like there's going to be some story reasons to explain why it's weak enough that it needs to partner up with anyone at all, and why the powers it grants don't seem to be anywhere near some devils that seem like they'd be roughly comparable in terms of how feared they are.

Theres a real chance war was killed when pure chainsawman dove into hell, and was reborn in a weakened state in this world.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Where were the 4 horsemen mentioned? I know several wikis say Makima is “conquest” but idk how much of that is speculation

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Don’t be a coward fujimoto show us the weiner devil

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Chainsaw man: she clucking killed Bucky

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

A merry Chainsaw man day to all who celebrate

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Scallop Eyes posted:

Asa and War having an Eddie Brock and Venom relationship is great, and makes this seem even more like a Spider-Man story.

Can't wait for Asa to be friends with Denji while hating Chainsawman even more.

Honestly, I really hope the relationship continues to develop that way because that loving rules.

I love chainsawman

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Kishibe fell on Kobeni’s car and was basically fine, while another assassin also fell on the car and was in extreme pain.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

And he very easily killed Denji and power multiple times during their training, only to heal/revive them with blood for more training.

Kishibe ain’t no joke

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly, the whole "devils are powered by fear of their thing" doesn't make much sense if you think about it too hard. Like, people aren't really scared of GUNS, they're scared of getting shot and dying, so why is the Gun Devil so strong? Shouldn't the Gun Violence Devil be the strong one? In that case, shouldn't the Violence Devil be even stronger, since presumably anyone scared of gun violence would also fuel Violence Devil along with all other kinds of violence?

It's best not to look too closely at this stuff and just accept how it goes.

The “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” theory of devil empowerment

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The heights devil would truly be a powerful devil too.

Oh god there is probably a devil devil

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The bad joke devil kills at open mics

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

A lot of Makimas control (as well as the routine with the blindfolds) was to keep her true nature and identity a secret. It was much easier to get various government officials to be on her side when she pretends she has a pact with an unknown devil.

She wanted the people she controls to be unaware of the control. That way she could subtly enter them into pacts and make her victims think the pact was their idea. She only really went full mask off when the Gun came back so she could finally cash in on all her manipulation.

God drat I love chainsaw man

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

War’s possession is probably closest to the Future Devil living in Aki’s eye.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yuko is the best friend devil

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

she has a good friend, which means war has another weapon.

Oh dear god if she ever says anything like “I’ll do anything for you, you’re my friend” she’s dead

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Reze has exploded her heart, and Quanxi recovered from being just a head. People have been tossing out that as a theory, but there's no basis for it in the manga. And considering Denji's heart survived re-entry... yeah, I'm skeptical on that line of thought until we get some evidence.

Additionally Denji removed a chunk of his heart to trick Makima.

I think destroying a hybrid requires an insane amount of damage, as well as preventing any way to do their equivalent of “rev the engine.”

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I think Reze regenerates on explosion too, which makes her probably the strongest of the weapon devils other than chainsaw. I feel like she threw her head like a bomb and briefly used her decapitated body to charge some devil hunters but I could be misremembering

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

I've only read Chainsaw Man plus the one shots afterwards, but Fujimoto strikes me as the type to bend or break established rules to benefit the story whether it be for character or narrative purpose or just because it's cooler this way.

I tend to think this too. I also think there’s a lot of unreliable narrators and hidden truths about the world. I ALSO think that Fujimoto isn’t writing a power system approaching NEN in complexity.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Oh man starting a yuko death pool on how and when she dies

Also insane TikToker theory Yuko is Denji in disguise

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also the Eddie Brock/venom vibe continues to grow and I’m here for it

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Gonna be honest when I saw the run down house Yuko lives in this was my first thought.

She has goofy Denji energy but there’s no way Denji can read manga, my dude just got into high school. Also can’t most devils smell other devils pretty well?

Ethiser posted:

If those death numbers are real then even ignoring the devil stuff having 10% of your population die from murder or suicide is a pretty bonkers statistic.

Its 5%, 1 outta 20, which is still high. I think Japan had one of the highest suicide rates in the world

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 2, 2022

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/uscpsc/status/1554526378959183878?s=21&t=yG1gNYy4omJB1vb4JmoIfQ

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Watch her have a pact with a powerful devil already

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The exploding chainsaw out the head effect looks even gorier than the manga

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I think the chainsaw man trailer looks great

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Honestly some form of the luck devil would make sense. She’s always incredibly lucky in combat and deeply unlucky everywhere else

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 6, 2022

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

If Kobenis car was number 1 it’d actually be power in the top spot because she was driving

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Angel was gay and lazy and that’s why I love Angel

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Oh drat https://twitter.com/j_everest_/status/1558363718890692608?s=21&t=B3zl71XTtO1bv_YMbTogcw

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Popo posted:

I didn't even think this was a debate, it's literally just the same thing that happened to Denji. Fiends boot out the souls to some degree (we know Violence kept some raw personality) while Denji and Asa got to keep their souls to serve purposes the devils alone couldn't achieve (experience hugs and blend in with society.)

Do people think Asa is actually showing scars when Yoru is talking and thus a Fiend?

When talking to Yoshida, yoru takes over Asas body and he literally says “huh? Those scars…” so yeah

E: to be clear, Yoshida is the one saying this.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 14, 2022

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Please tell me that cat was Meowy

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

the inspiration was quite literally the Texas chainsaw massacre. I’d imagine the whole cannibalism thing in that movie is the inspiration for the power. I would imagine other devil powers are similarly inspired but who knows

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ground round meal

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I’m deeply curious about Yoshidas organization

But I am so happy Denji is back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

None of this is THAT out of character. I think the lack of internal monologue is a really good point. Denji has always been surface level shallow dude with a heart of gold.

My gut feeling is an encounter like this might not be out of the norm for Denji. Public Safety, Devil Hunters whether is exists or not anymore, should still know who he is now a days. There may be several of these organizations, in various forms. And the assassins knew who he was too (which he hilariously denied). Also we still don’t know the state of his life with Nayuta.

It’ll be interesting to have more than one point of view character now.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 30, 2022