Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The spider devil is probably really into Makima's abilities to literally entangle people and preserve them for future consumption. Much like how the shark devil sees Chainsaw Man and instinctively recognizes him as a kindred spirit. In that sense you could easily envision that the spider devil has a sense of intellectualism to it that might ingratiate it to humans, whereas fear of snakes is very primal and bestial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Mirello posted:

I dunno if this is the right thread to say this, but I finally read fire punch. once I started I couldn't stop, and I read the whole thing in one sitting. overall, I think it was pretty good. especially for a first manga. it is pretty crazy that he went from that to chainsaw man. I do like chainsaw man just because I think it's more funny and less depressing and more grounded (although fire punch definitely has its fair share of humor.). he's really an amazing creator. I'm kind of curious about what people think the overall themes of chainsaw man are? fire punch seems to be all about identity and the difference between right and wrong not really mattering sometimes. chainsaw man is harder for me to pin down.

I haven't read all of Fire Punch, but they seem to have several similarities thematically.

I think one of the 'tells' about Chainsaw Man's themes is what all the characters say about Chainsaw Man in part 2. No matter how many times you knock him down, he gets back up. Both series are really fascinated by the idea of regeneration as a superpower. There are a couple reasons for this, I think, but one of them is that it works as a very compelling metaphor for persistence and the ability for the protagonist to heal from what life tosses at them.

Here are some similarities in the narratives of Fire Punch and Chainsaw Man:
-Human civilization has entered a quiet apocalypse era due to a global catastrophe
-Humans are beginning to evolve into new forms of life with frightening powers
-Powerful people are immoral and use their power on the powerless without repercussion
-If you want to survive in this world, you have to let yourself become a little insane
-Outcasts have to compromise their human dignity to survive, and this warps or breaks their common sense and perspective
-The protagonist's life is a series of traumatic events
-The protagonist has both the powers of immortality and the ability to bring about the irreversible destruction of everything around them
-The protagonist's destructive powers are basically a weaponization of their own suffering (chainsaws that tear your own flesh apart; spreading the fire that engulfs you and can never be extinguished)
-The "common enemy" of humanity is a fabrication used to manipulate geopolitics
-The protagonist's moment of heroism is when they are able to think for themself, rather than bending to someone else's will

The thing that stands out to me most is the idea that the hero of the story is both unkillable and has the ability to destroy everything around them. I think Fujimoto is basically a pessimist, and he sees life as being full of a bunch of unfair bullshit, the machinations of powerful entities, an endless series of indignities, and losing the few people that give you something good in life. When you look at it from this perspective, immortality seems more like a curse than a blessing. In other words, the protagonist's life sucks, and the biggest joke of all is that he has to live it. This makes it very tantalizing to just destroy everything around them (with fires that never go out, or with a chainsaw that erases things from existence).

Denji's life is basically the worst, full of deprivation and a complete lack of bodily autonomy. The plot twist that he killed his father is like a final nail in the coffin--he can't even claim a "woe is me" moral high ground, because his actions directly led his life to that outcome. The visual metaphor for his life is that his limbs are constantly being torn apart, his severed torso is being dragged around without him having any say in the matter, and he has to take filth into his body to survive.

I think that the chainsaw tearing its way out of his head is an important visual metaphor. He doesn't let himself think about the rage that's just underneath the surface of his consciousness. He is repeatedly told throughout the story "hey, have you realized how unfair your life is?" and his response is basically a deflection. "I got to eat BBQ the other day so I can't complain." When he wishes he could be one of Makima's dogs, and not have to think for himself, I think it's because he's at the point where he can't really ignore the reality of his life any more. His life is horrible, it's a direct outcome of his own misdeed, and the two people who were like family to him are gone. The cognitive dissonance overwhelms his coping mechanism. Despite all of that, he is able to defeat Makima, the devil who is basically the embodiment of I'm Better Than You, and he's able to do it with compassion. He sees her as an equal, which both means recognizing his own intrinsic worth (being equal to the i'm better than you devil) and also recognizing her vulnerability (the i'm better than you devil is just as lonely and hosed up and miserable as I am).

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Part 2 of Chainsaw Man is just Card Captor Sakura, two episodes from now the park playground is gonna be like

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Last Celebration posted:

I kinda wonder if Denji’s a vegetarian now? He probably still likes food a lot but I can see him just avoiding red meat at least pretty much forever. Or he just got over it completely, either or with him!

He still has to eat flesh and drink blood to heal whenever he's in a gnarly devil battle, so I don't think he'd be a vegetarian for long.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Nuebot posted:

I think the reaction is more because he is a winner. He always wins. Look how much he's won! He's winning so much. :smith:

That sequence is one of the most powerful parts of the manga to me. I think chainsaw man really excels at that Evangelion-esque combination of apocalyptic imagery mixed with psychologically charged but mundane life. Like, the struggle of just wanting to be part of a happy family but having an overwhelming amount of trauma in his life.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Eimi posted:

My question is was Makima being the demiurge and Power's name as a reference the thrones of angels setup from the very start? That was the coolest moment for me, when her name just changed from me being like "Oh it's just there because it's cool, she's a power hungry devil" to :aaaaa:

I think if you compare some of the plot beats of CSM to Fire Punch, they're similar enough that I assume Fujimoto had them planned out in advance. The one that comes to mind is the fact that the Gun Devil is not actually a wildcard threat, and has been tamed by the world superpowers for a long time. Also the idea of Chainsaw Man being a hero of destruction who can bring about the Absolute destruction of a thing, down to its very idea. Those are plot elements that have kind of very clear parallels in Fire Punch, so I assume that Fujimoto went into the project wanting to explore them further. And since those are such late-game plot points, I assume things like Makima being a Miltonic figure and her tamed devils being named after the hierarchy of angels was also planned out.

Could just be a rad decision he made halfway into the story, though!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Going by its appearance, I assume that the Punishment Devil is on a scale perhaps similar to the Darkness Devil in being a very primal fear. The Gun Devil probably really shook things up in Hell by becoming such an overwhelming fear in only a couple centuries.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
one of my shower thoughts is that chainsaw man is actually like the extinction/eradication devil, and the chainsaw is just a symbolic representation of a cause of extinction (like deforestation). or maybe he is, in technical terms, a "chainsaw devil," but the setting's rules allow for some metaphorical hijinks, so a chainsaw can punch above its weight class by being a loaded metaphor that represents a lot of concepts at once.

i also think that, by the standards of Part 1, Nayuta and Denji are doing pretty okay so far. Like, just looking at the relatively good parts of Denji's life in Part 1, he literally spent like three days in a death-murder orgy with the Eternity Devil, spent like a month getting killed constantly by a jaded old man, and got force-fed alcohol and vomit by an older woman who was trying to have sex with him while he was still a minor. Dude's life was totally unhinged to an absurdist degree. Right now he has some boundary issues as the caretaker of a bratty teen and that's such a mundane problem to have.

i really do think it's awesome that Part 2 is basically about the struggle of trying to raise a girl with a Dark Triad personality to be a decent human being.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Can we just take a moment to appreciate how cool and fun it is that War is a chump who can create really fun weapons like a ruler sword or a spear that shoots fish? It's such a great turnabout on the concept. What a great power.

edit: Maybe it's the Nihilism Devil. Seems like a fitting one to usher in the Great King of Terror for the new millennium.

Cephas fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 7, 2023

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, I really doubt Falling just found clothes perfectly fitted for multi-limbed, double(and triple?)-jointed abomination several times the height of normal human in some random japanese apartment... :v:

BUT, imagine if you materialized from hell to reign terror, and the first human you killed had some freaky poo poo eldritch horror costume in their closet. You'd have to go for it. It's like fate.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

mycelia posted:

Life is full of misery, but cats also exist. It honestly makes me wonder if Fujimoto has real experience with those kind of feelings because gently caress if that didn't resonate with me. (I type, with my cat making a nuisance of herself because it's dinnertime. Can't lie in bed all day, I've got a mouth to feed.)

Chainsaw Man is a pretty philosophical comic. The whole story is about resilience against despair in spite of a life of meaningless suffering. Aki's suffering comes from a random act of unstoppable violence. Denji's suffering is revealed to ultimately have come from his own hand (he killed his lovely father, thus indebting himself to the yakuza). Denji's superpower, much like Agni in Fire Punch, is the paradoxical power of 1. your body and mind being in relentless pain from being torn apart over and over again, and 2. being able to get back up no matter what.

to slow down having to confront his traumas, denji engages in distraction (I wanna touch boobs, I wanna eat good food, i wanna have sex) and repression (don't open the door). for me, the most moving scene in the whole story so far has been when, defeated by the loss of Power and Aki, Denji submits to Makima and tells her "i'm sick of thinking, i just want to live as your dog." Denji is too resilient to let himself die, but the psychological pain of being alive can be too much to bear.

I think fujimoto just, like, gets it. Denji's poo poo life is really over-the-top, but the feelings he feels, and the ways he copes with it, are 100% real. I think Himeno was another really terrific character. The way the pressures of her job are slowly eating away at her mental wellbeing, so she gives in to her mentor's self-destructive advice of letting loose and going a little crazy to let off some steam, even if it means being pretty lovely to people around you, is really well done. In the manga it's about the pressures of being a demon hunter but it also reminded me so much about being in grad school lol.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw1fy7VF_w8&t=58s

Did the animators know

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
if they do an extra long episode it should be denji & makima's movie date and it should show the two of them mst3k style riffing through the entirety of (checks 1997 movie releases) Alien: Resurrection

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
After rescuing a little dog who loves blood maple syrup, Denji joins the Public Bureau to fight off devils evil monsters who want to keep blood maple syrup for themselves, inside their bodies. As Chainsaw Man, Denji cannot be stopped as long as he's fed more blood sweets!

Thanks for sharing your Chupa Chup with me, Makima. My sweet tooth was going ballistic!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
this dumbass manga fuckin rules lmao

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Denji's unhinged frankness about his basic life desires continues to be weirdly inspirational.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Every character with a plan has failed in the face of Denji's stupidity and impulsiveness, so I think the Devils are on to something

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

chiasaur11 posted:

Not just anyone under her control. She had a contract with the prime minister to shuffle attacks to any citizen of Japan.

the prime minister of japan is definitely some kind of devil right

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Supremezero posted:

I mean the entire point of that bit was "Politicians: Even worse than Devils"

yeah but it'd be really funny if kishibe busted in to the diet building and it turned out the prime minister was baphomet

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Denji has plenty of good qualities

-obedient
-extremely stable core

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Don't open that door.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
waitin for Asa, Yoru, and Power to meet.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

you're doing great sweaty

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Nah, the hammer/nail fiend is the hammer/nail fiend. They're not Curse or Halloween. Theres just a bit of visual overlap is all

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

yeah everything is pretty much afraid of fire

Except for my boy Denji.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
also the reveal that the Fire Devil has this completely bananas power to turn people into chainsawman zombies ties back to one of the undercurrents in the narrative, which is that the more primal a fear is, the more it warps reality in some way. Since the goal is to power up Chainsawman until he's strong enough to beat Death, revealing that Fire has this absolutely crazy fire-adjacent power is foreshadowing that we might start running into the "Chainsawman can eat concepts" power that was teased so many chapters ago

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Denji and Quanxi are going to bond over recklessly endangering themselves in combat to protect innocent civilians cute girls

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Denji gunbuster-tearing his shirt off as he pulls his ripcord is pretty rad. How much more can this poor boy's heart take

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Power and Beam are gonna rescue Nayuta i just know it

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
oh my god what if all that's left of denji when asa gets to him is his spinal cord

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I wonder if we're thinking too narrowly in terms of weapons

Asa/Yoru: "Denji, Chainsawman Mecha"

Denji Severed Dick No. 27 Railgun!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Kobeni having a little brother who looks and acts just like her will never stop being funny

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Denji's got money, but not much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Asa learned the power of Shoot Style!