Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Gun Devil was probably just killed by a stronger devil like Darkness and went on it's rampage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I Am Fowl posted:

I feel like the implication was that the Gun Devil was involved, either as an either or as a tool of the Four Horseman, in that "rampage". I believe that the Four Horseman fought Chainsaw in Hell (probably with the Gun Devil on their side and maybe even against some allies of Chainsaw like the Shark Devil) and the fight continued on Earth, resulting in mass casualties. The Gun Devil was broken. Chainsaw disappeared/became Pochita. The Four Horsemen did whatever the gently caress they've been doing for the past 13 years, likely a mix of licking their wounds and building power as Makima did.

I doubt the Death and Hunger Devils died

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LostRook posted:

There's lots of stuff that's unanswered or ambiguous. Gun Devil was alive, then actually dead then alive again. Reze was his partner which implies he was hanging out in the Soviet Union, but he takes phone calls from the US President.

We never definitively found out who was behind Sawatari though I think like a lot of things you can pretty much fill in the blank with Makima did it and it works.

Sawatari was for sure Makima.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A thing to remember is that Katana man is just a nick name for the guy, the closest thing he has to a name is Samurai Sword.

Speaking of him, he and the other Hybrids should all be fine, wonder if we will see them again. Seeing more of Reze and Quanxi would be cool.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

Well I mean they were all dead after Makima was killed so someone would’ve needed to collect and revive them for them to be alive.

Don't they heal when they turn back to normal as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Endorph posted:

the exact bodycount from hell to the end of part 1 is actually a little hard to determine in spots. spider devil's seemingly alive, for instance, but you'd be forgiven for missing that she didn't get obliterated with everyone else during that mess.

She got slashed up, and seemingly died summoning Makima.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, the hybrids are a huge question marks that will almost definitely come up again. Nothing that happened to them at the end of Part 1 seemed like something that would put them out of commission permanently, they are not controlled by Makima anymore and unlike Devils, it doesn't seem like dying/being revived erases their personality or memories. Katana Hybrid and Bomb Hybrid are extra interesting, because both of them have a personal connection to Denji the human and not Chainsaw Man, and it is plausible that they would specifically go look for him. Although for...entirely different reasons, obviously. :v:

Quanxi would probably be a bit grateful for killing Makima.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elephant Parade posted:

Isn't this from when she's killing the Gun Fiend, at which point Aki and the Angel Devil are -- presuming she didn't kill them off-camera -- still alive?

Aki is already dead at this point.

The Control Devil can just use people that are already dead’s powers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

If she was dead, she'd have come back to life in Hell. It's only because she's still alive that Makima can use her.

Coming back does not seem to be an instant thing. Two of Quanxi’s fiends were killed and their devil selves did not pop out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
War is stated to be weaker because part of it was eaten by Chainsaw.

I doubt Death died in the fight, Control probably did which is why Makima existed on earth.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GloomMouse posted:

I think making Death super powerful would be kinda boring and expected tbh. People fear death yeah, but the it's painful way of dying (starvation, cancer, drowning, burning) that really get the fear juices going imo.

Well Darkness is super powerful.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Namnesor posted:

And Denji won by being somehow even more incomprehensible than the darkness.

Denji lost to the Darkness Devil, Makima was dying to it as well, but managed to bail them out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also it’s wild reading this manga and then trying to read poo poo like Tokyo Ghoul or JJK. Fujimoto uses dialogue so much less than his contemporaries.

While I like Chainsaw, I think I still prefer JJK to it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MizuZero posted:

I’m not particularly concerned with where nayuta or the dogs are but I want to know how meowy is doing :smith:

It’s at Denji’s house.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Devil Hunters also seem to turn Devils into Fiends to get them under control better. But it's probably a survival thing normally if your heavily wounded take over corpse to avoid dying.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also I assume Mystery Girl with Scale Earrings was Justice Devil, and when referring to Little Sister she meant Yuko.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

hbag posted:

next episode? i havent seen tonight's but i think its gonna be closer to the end of the season, unless they did some timeskip this episode or something

It should be next week or the week after.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Kobeni is sort of a long con. gets introduced early and doesn't really do much til katana man shows up. then is basically running from every fight from that point onward. didn't she quit at some point but said the pay was too good? after going to hell she said gently caress this and that's how she ended up at family burger

her whole shtick is o shi o fuk get me outta here. wtf is wrong with you people

She threatened to quit after every arc until she went to Hell, then she did quit cause that was super traumatizing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Contract with the Parents Devil. (Who would be pretty strong I think)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

and she also can just up teleport people to hell

I think she can teleport people to her current location by unzipping herself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Alacron posted:

Wasn't there a thing where Power had to have her blood drained regularly so she wouldn't get too strong? Between that and Violence's poison mask I assumed all the fiends have some kind of limiter on them.

Fiends are also just straight up much weaker than their devil selves.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Oxxidation posted:

if you expand famine to include hunger in general, it’s basically the number one stressor and motivating factor for humans and devils alike. she might not be on Darkness’s level but she would have to be ferocious, unless Pochita took a nibble out of her as well

Given that she is on earth, she probably died, which should have weakened her.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Pretty sure Sawatari’s group was set up by Makima, but they did not know they were working for Makima and thought the Gun Devil employed them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Bomb and Assassins were not set up by her at least.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

yum posted:

Didn't the Yakuza say that they traded money in exchange for guns with the gun devil? Yeah, definitely not the real gun devil

Makima revealed later on that was false.

Sawatari was not actually the boss of the Yakuza group though she did set everything up. Given that she was shown as one of the people controlled by Makima after death, I imagine Sawatari was working for Makima, but thought she was working for the Gun Devil.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's stated that Devils that look more human are generally friendlier or more reasonable, it's told when Princi the Spider Devil is introduced, though it's stated that Princi is still dangerous and will kill you for looking at her the wrong way.

I also assume that Devils having humanoid form can be fairly random when they reincarnate. Princi maybe a version of the Spider Devil that was fairly humanoid, but there might be other incarnations that were not.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Weird BIAS posted:

Is that actually expounded on somewhere that the more a devil likes humans the more human they look or just a pretty logical assumption? It makes sense just curious if that was something directly said. Also Yoru/Asa is a hybrid, Asa doesn't have the head markings to be a fiend. The scars really don't count either from what I can tell since nobody but Asa sees Yoru and those scars.

Asa is a weird Fiend not a Hybrid. They would presumably look different if the War Devil had properly taken over her mind instead of purposefully leaving it intact.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eggplant Squire posted:

I still think one of the biggest mysteries (unless I just missed something) was what power Makima was using to squish those poeple and all the stipulations it had (saying a name and killing both the target and the speaker, her hand motions, why she only used it on the henchmen). It's absolutely terrifying.

She was using Tendo's contract with the punishment devil, and having those prisoners give their lives to take the lives of others.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

Shape isn't about how humans feel about devils. It's how the devils feel about humans.

Makima and Angel are very feared, thus very powerful, but since they don't want to kill humans, they're very human looking. Princi isn't as all-in as Makima, but she's on the same side of that argument, she's recognizably human-like.

I assume it depends on the incarnation too. The next Spider Devil could be more hostile and less humanoid.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I thought it was one of the sisters we were told Kobeni had tons of them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I thought the concept of hybrids was eaten not all of the devils themselves. so people don't know hybrids are a thing but they still exist

fake edit: I guess the best example is the other alternatives to death. do they still happen even if no one knows of them anymore? I didn't get that impression from Makima's explanation. they simply aren't possible anymore

same thing with nuclear weapons. why would war care about chainsaw man, if nukes still secretly existed and killed people?

According to Makima the Hybrids are the only example of something still existing despite Chainsaw Man eating their concept.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Famine also does that head tilt thing making her earrings looks like tilted scales.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Scholtz posted:

Well, it seems to be "Falling" metaphorically but shown literally

Or maybe I'm reading too much into that last thing the devil said

It's all types. Whatever comes to mind with Falling is what it represents. It's the same with Darkness Devil also being fear of the Unknown and whatever might be lurking in the Darkness.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Falling Devil it appears was not killed. It seems it got Hell Devil to transport it instead.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dyzzy posted:

drat this manga rules. Caught up after finishing the anime

Haven't seen the original text but 落ちる- to fall, 落ち込む- to be depressed

Some shared Kanji.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ranzear posted:

Technically shark died in hell so should be back already?

Maybe it's less discretely ontological...

I imagine he reincarnated in Hell, cause he was from Earth.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RubberLuffy posted:

Vol 14 cover

I like how she does the balancing the scales thing with her head.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so. what if denji ate falling devil? i don't think there's any way for that to turn out well.

Nothing would happen. Denji does not have the Chainsaw Devil power of erasing things.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

Purposefully incurring Nayuta's wrath would certainly be a novel ploy from Denji.

Falling Devil should be stronger than Nayuta. Makima was weaker than the Darkness Devi, and there is no reason to think she should be stronger than another primal fear.

Anyway Denji should be quickly overpowered once Falling Devil tries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Steve Yun posted:

That’s why I keep saying there’s gonna be a loud noise primal fear devil

Edit: something moving in the corner of your vision devil

Your friend grabbing your shoulders from behind and saying boo devil

The latter two belong to Darkness Devil, who is also fear of the unknown.