Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i was a fire punch fan so seeing fujimoto immediately jump into a new series that is both more accessible and successful has been great. already crossing fingers for this to get a good animated adaptation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

after a lull in devil fighting, it's nice to be reminded that the designs in this are loving wild. hopefully this is more of a shark showcase than more denji stuff though

Cuntellectual posted:

Out of curiosity, what'd you like about Fire Punch? It's probably one of my least favorite manga that I actually completed.

it vibed with other stuff i've enjoyed, like there was definitely some Alita/Nihei/FotNS influence. the story isn't a redemption for Agni but the post-tree arc also kinda gels with stuff I've enjoyed about lovely characters reforming through pastoral lives in like Spirit Circle, To Your Eternity, Vinland Saga etc.

it's generally more detailed when it comes to the art, or at least the setting wrung more minute detail out of Fujimoto so reading the two is interesting from a progression/change angle. also has some absolutely bonkers action scenes. the trademark humor is still there and arguably better? i don't feel like Chainsaw Man has been so blatantly wasting pages and panels on extended visual gags or non-sequiturs compared to FP, like the 3+ pages of Togata driving as they're repeatedly killed/killing their attacker etc. that sort of disregard for time or format are definitely core things to the appeal i think, since overall FP is not the most coherent. you get poignant moments here and there like Agni confronting Domu or the whole conceit of playing "roles," but the pacing goes in fits and none of those moments expand out into a full-series philosophy or anything. imo Togata is really the driving force and center of appeal for the series but i also enjoy San's fanaticism. the ending gets a shrug from me, but it comes after 80 chapters of stuff that was interesting and weird (if not enjoyable) so my overall feeling on the series is still positive. it's an incredibly strange thing within the context of Shonen Jump and i'm glad Fujimoto was able to do it before creating something more focused and appealing like Chainsaw Man.

the Judah stuff didn't really factor to me since nothing happens until after 10-11 years when she's lucid and has regained enough memory to know she's not Luna. from Agni's end i guess it could be weirder since he has a problem getting lost in his "roles" but i wasn't giving this much thought or scrutiny having come through Behemdorg's slave ownership, the rape/coercion of women from Neneto's village/Behemdorg refugees, and multiple cannibal camps.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't have the official TL unfortunately but the FA one has Judah, before the village stuff, kiss Agni and then say "We're not actually siblings, are we? I'd more or less figured it out. After all, there's no way I wouldn't be able to remember a brother I loved so much."

but this is only shortly after they've timeskipped so hard you don't get to really feel the change, on top of her showing up in some pages between then and not really giving that sense either. so i get why it would be offputting (Agni's relationship with Luna was already weird too) or just feel kinda paper thin.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's probably just that i read some of Apocalypse Zero right after Shigurui, since otherwise they're like a decade removed from each other, but the Chika stuff felt to me like an author fixation in a similar vein to Harara from AZ.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad it was an ending so perfectly tuned to inspire lovely domestic fanart in the wait for part 2

https://twitter.com/heureoreo/status/1339479411465146369?s=20

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

This isn't mine but I was very amused.

it's good, and the artist has other chainsaw stuff (though entirely different style not making pop culture crossover riffs)

https://twitter.com/yaki_lulu/status/1368507345869803524?s=20

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a cute guy with a unique? or at least striking devil contract, yeah that makes sense

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/pt_sasa12/status/1398871719062867978?s=20

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they've had a bad production reputation for a while, just a consequence of taking on so many projects and often complex ones like Dorohedoro or AoT. i feel like CSM totally falls into that bucket with its monster designs and setpieces, so a pre-animated teaser, even by the same staff, doesn't seem like it says much either way.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

:shrug:

at least the series staff is represented in the teaser staff, but it's something that doesn't feel indicative of what CSM will look like under a tv production schedule. hopefully by next year we have a real pv to judge.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

meh, you won't convince me cg isn't a likely factor in some of the wilder designs or setpieces until the actual pv. i'd also hope the aesthetic on display isn't terribly indicative since it's basically shutting out all the fun color work fujimoto did for the manga like rainbow-colored intestines, fountains of green blood, etc.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/makimasansuki/status/1411774736925814784?s=20

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

:qq:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

fujino, kyomoto

the axe attack is also a mashup of the Sagamihara knife attack (2016) and Kyoani arson (2 year anniversary today)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would like to see Choso in Chainsawworld

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah that's very much in the realm of speculation/assumption

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/IDN_278/status/1419233196667899905?s=19

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the only problem is it's not a consideration that has relevant place in discussion for Look Back, which had a specific context to what it was doing

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yes it was obviously a reference to a real-life event, but this is a manga where the author decides what details to include or omit. It would be fully possible to include enough details to make it clear that this is referring to a real world event without explicitly drawing attention to the fact that the killer "heard voices"

it was a key part of tying it to the event being referenced so nah

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/ryosuketarou/status/1429082210980700162?s=19

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

just hope the anime keeps up with this tbh

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm going to assume high traffic or something broke the app loading pages for me, since my first read had tons of spots with random blank pages/chunks of 2-5 blank pages. only realized when chapters of other manga did the same after 🙃

turns out it seems a lot worse and more pretentious when you think fujimoto is just tossing in tons of blank pages and you're missing 1/4 the bits of eri and mc or specifically the parts that give nuance to his mom/Goodbye Explosion Mother. really enjoyed my full second read though lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think he's just bad at shooting

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah there's already Jump+ series on the app (Kaiju no8, SpyxFamily, Ghost Reaper Girl) but Dandadan is a good example of what i expect will happen with CSM and it'll be web-only through Viz. they already had that single chapter pulled from the app for content, and i don't see why Fujimoto would be switching to Jump+ unless there was an idea that part 2 is heavier on content they consider unfriendly for print Jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

fujimoto knows shonen fans just can't be normal