Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

This series is so weird because it really feels like it is setting up a pretty standard shonen premise but takes a left turn pretty quickly since Denji is a loving moron.
Jump mangas have a proud tradition of having absolute loving morons as MC's, though!

That being said, this slaps really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Crossposting from the Chat thread:

Wark Say posted:

New wrestling diehard video about Weekly Shonen Jump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4arTCRhueAY
In which Super Eyepatch Wolf asks people to read the adventures of these fuckups.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, especially nowadays that most (if not all of them?) Weekly Shonen Jump titles actively have official translations through the Manga Plus website that Shueisha themselves do.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Himeno was an absolute gutpunch, but it also was like half a year ago. Crazy how relatively short this manga's run has been but the punches never get pulled. Dadgum.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Fujimoto just straight-up doesn't give a gently caress, does he?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think it'd be criminally wasted potential for this to not get an anime adaptation down the road. Hopefully Jujutsu Kaisen makes a strong showing, as well.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

yum posted:

Interesting that they need the help from a Primal devil, who are devils that are apparently way more powerful than the Gun Devil, to kill Makima. Raises the question of why can't Makima just kill the gun devil by herself and why does she choose to/have to report to those big wigs in Kyoto?
For shits 'n giggles, would be my guess? Makima strikes me as the kind of person who would do that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo! Total Party Kill! :stonk:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Lobster posted:

I don't understand what is going here but I dig it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=motGYShex5o

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth TNT posted:

Wtf did I just read and why am I shaking in anticipation!
Makima doing the closest thing to damage control that she can. Also holy poo poo: The gringo brothers, Kishibe and Quanxi are dead, the german pedophile hunter was a puppet sacrifice for the real Santa and so was Tolka. Also, Santa is now a weird humanoid abomination made out of puppet corpse parts and whatnot and holy poo poo WHY CAN'T IT BE NEXT WEEK ALREADY?!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
For reals this loving manga can be super frenetic and make me feel like I'm just grasping at what it means even if it's not anything super deep but I cannot put it down and ever since I saw that spread of chapter 1 of Denji going to town on the zombie mobsters I've been in a constant state of... just, these two smilies :stwoon: :suspense:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh crap, you're right! When Quanxi was channeling her inner Ozymandias and throwing Kishibe, Yoshida and the youngest of the gringo brothers offa the window, they weren't transported into hell because they weren't inside the mall.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth TNT posted:

I agree, They're just trying to get ahead
Maybe you should quit while you're ahead. :colbert:

:frogon:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

(Even if he's less obvious about it, because it's impossible to be less subtle than Denji.)
A certain Nobel-prize-winner-hopeful would like a word with you, buddy. :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
When I saw stitches girl with Quanxi's head, I knew poo poo was gonna go off the loving charts. Did not expect that much. :stonk:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Lobster posted:

If there's an adaptation of Dorohedoro, Chainsaw Man can get one as well.
That took almost 20 years since it debuted. to even get green-flagged. That it ended up as rad as it did (warts and all) is a minor goddamn miracle.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

The only thing that sucks is that Denji's Chainsaw Devil form almost guarantees it'll be CG.
It doesn't necessarily need to be CG. You'd just need to have someone give it the Mob Psycho 100 treatment.

I can almost imagine Denji's awakening animated and it needs to be this feat of big-rear end energy combining rear end-kicking animation and a voice actor going absolutely ham, especially with the WAHAHAHAHAHAHA! madboi laughs Denji lets out.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The future?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Confirmed that Denji has McNinja blood somewhere in his ancestry :cawg:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You know I liked the speedscan translation better
"Become an Idiot, Chainsaw"
It's like "Daddy in the East" for Kaguya-sama: You know somewhere in your brain that it's kinda wrong, but goddammit, there's a strong-as-hell charm in that goof-up. The official translation kinda makes sense if you remember what she told Master Kishibe about that one news anchor she fancied.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like the small detail of Santa mounting fear and her slowly realizing how Denji is nothing if not entrepreneurial in his pursuit of divorcing himself of anything but the most important things in life to give a gently caress about. Also holy poo poo that was killer!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That was not what I was expecting from that goofy-looking fiend. :stare:

Makima basically used the same thing to kill Reze, right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
She's like Camilla from the latest arc from Hunter x Hunter. But... y'know, with her own vibe.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NickRoweFillea posted:

Also this is my favorite new manga. I need a thousand chapters
I very much doubt this gets beyond 200 chapters, maybe 250 if we're hella optimistic. I mean, how many relevant/named characters were we left with alive/not driven insane?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'd say time-planning is as big or bigger a factor than money.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My biggest question: How the heck are they going to get around the fact that Denji literally gets killed, hacked to pieces and thrown in a dumpster halfway through the first chapter in a way that doesn't feel half-assed? Or the fact that he goes absolutely HAM upon resurrecting?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

Why in the world would you adapt Fire Punch?
For shits 'n giggles, of course! :v:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, the SPY x FAMILY dude worked as an assistant for Fujimoto?! I knew he had worked with the Blue Exorcist mangaka, but... wow.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

Yep! Got brought up in an interview about Spy X Family.

The really interesting bit is that he was in his late 30s at the time, while Fujimoto was just 23 or so. And this was after Endo had run two serializations, while all Fujimoto had done was one shots. Kinda wonder what the line of reasoning was there.
Editor: "Ok, listen, there's this lovely brat obsessed with western movies..."
Endo: SAY NO MORE

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like it wasn't 100% textbook (at least to my own experiences) but holy smokes was that loving painful to read/look at as someone who lived with a couple of people suffering from PTSD. Like I know Fujimoto seems to operate on a "gently caress subtlety!" train-wagon a lot of the time, but holy poo poo I wasn't expecting to see some of that body language so explicitly.

Poor Power and Aki. :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thoren posted:

Can someone remind me what the whole door thing is again?
It was shown, like 30 chapters ago, that maybe Pochita's "true form" lies beyond said door, but our extremely good boi has been adamant about telling Denji to not look beyond that door.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

Kobeni will be back as soon as she gets her next rent bill.

EDIT: How did Aki get an arm back? Was it just reattached? Also I thought healing with blood was something all devils could do but I guess it’s exclusive to hybrids and blood devils.

Remember that Aki is a human. He has contracts to two devils, but that's it. Power and Denji are the Fiend(a devil possessing a corpse) and Devil Hybrid (which are the more powerful ones from the looks of it, in account of just needing blood to keep going.

Also, kinda insane just how powerful hybrids really are. Like we were told that Primordial Devils are nothing to gently caress with and Santa Claus was being powered by a primordial one, and she still loving got curb-stomped by some crazy kid in 2 chapters.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

I was referring to the Angel devil apparently not being able to regenerate his arms.
Ugh, I forgot about that! :doh:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please also take into account that Denji is figuring a lot of stuff out. Like he grew up as a poor kid and has zero loving book smarts or common sense. Sharing an apartment with Aki and Power has probably been the first time he's had a comfy bed! Hell, that thing he mentioned to Santa Claus/The Doll Woman about watching edutainment stuff on TV? Like we think "Oh Denji, you little scamp you!", but he was probably being sincere about how he's learning stuff he didn't know before.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly don't think Denji is that dumb. I think what happened is a combination of Denji still remembering how he first kicked the bucket and Kishibe going Garp on his rear end.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Aki's not gonna live to see the end of this wild ride, is he? :ohdear:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thoren posted:

We should ban all anime and manga from ending with a giant tree. Trees are no longer tolerated.
(spoilers for two of the 3DS Fire Emblem games: Don't read if you want to play them spoiler-free)Listen, Alm and Celica fought tooth and nail to get Valentia to chill for a millenium. Please don't be mean to my dumb cat-loving dork lords. :ohdear:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I love this terrible family a whole lot.
They're like the Yorozuya in their silliness. And propensity for all three of them puking. :mmmhmm:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemadras posted:

I read Fire Punch because of this thread.

What

What the hell

That is the most insane, pathetic and, honestly, terrifying protagonist I've seen, holy poo poo

Really, the final confrontation being between the fully villanous Fire Punch and the zealous San feels quite appropriate. Still feels like the story really lost some of its appeal when Togota died.

I really hope Denji stays on the path of being a perfect good-hearted Nobel prize winner forever
For all the movie references it and Chainsaw Man has made, in my opinion Fire Punch has more in common with a song from a band/artist that's better known for making party music but then they hit you with a really, really good song about a really, really uncomfortable topic.

I really liked Fire Punch, but it's not a comic I'd recommend to everybody. And yeah, once Togata bites it, the story loses so much.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 7, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

McTimmy posted:

I want Makima's deal to be she is entirely on the level everyone is just super-paranoid about her.
Let's be fair: This is pretty much a given when talking about someone with the chutzpah to confront the Darkness Devil and walking off without any real damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ethiser posted:

Hopefully the guy that Santa Claus raised wasn’t thematic foreshadowing.
My biggest guess as of right now?

NickRoweFillea posted:

I hope Makima is just a good guy that’s willing to get her hands dirty to do the right thing.
Basically this. My current bet with regards to Makima is that she is, ultimately, a force of good. She is, however, a ruthless, goal-oriented person that wants to sort poo poo out ASAP and drat the consequences. Hell, look at the arc that just ended: When Prinz is incapacitated by the Darkness Devil and the Spider Devil pleads with her, perhaps out of concern for her boss' safety, to "Please don't come here, Ms. Makima"; Makima says screw that noise and makes an act of presence, even using Prinz herself as a medium for it. All it gets her is a temporarily broken arm and getting stabbed in the gut.

Now here's where you'd normally say "Whoa, that's hosed up!". But Makima ain't no quitter. Not by a long-freaking-shot.