Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

And the same style of activation.

Of course, she might even have liked Denji, if the offer was legitimate. He comes to the Soviet Union with her, does some work, gets a "normal" life with her by way of payment.

It's just that, with Makima in play, that couldn't happen. And getting the Chainsaw mattered a lot more than how some teenager Reze just met felt about things.

She pulls her pin out of her neck, which makes me wonder if maybe bomb devil replaced a different part of her body like her brain. Sword guy changed by unsheathing his hand, right? Maybe she can get multiple powers if she keeps replacing body parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
People are definitely scared of water. Though it does raise the question whether the water demon, drowning demon and suffocation demon are distinct entities.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

Speculation Makimas gotta be contracted with the Devil of Heights, right? She splatted everyone and needed to be up high to use it

Temple, specifically. My guess is Death or God devil.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Quanxi is going to try to get Power in her harem, isn't she.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

I feel like that's actually going to be how using the summon works out.

I think a lot of these characters are just going to whiff humorously off Denji.

I'm wondering if it's going to be a Pink Panther thing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-ZjldsoyAs) or if all the elaborate plans are going to be demolished when Santa Claus Kool-aid Man's into the middle of everything.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The only videos I like with Super Eyepatch Wolf are the one's he has done with Woolie (formerly of Super Best Friends). Those videos consist of them learning to hate one another as they playthrough Legend of the Mystical Ninja and another where everyone learns to hate him as he aggressively pushes Hunter x Hunter.

I feel like there is a common thread.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

Do you remember how Santa asked for orphans? I guess Tolka's master was one, too. She even called him Grandpa.
The inheritor idea is the most likely.

-e-
Those four kids were the orphans, and three got taken.

Pretty sure the woman has been the real Santa the whole time. The way the panels show Tolka and Granpa as being the same makes it clear that they were both "raised" by her.

It also makes more sense as generally women tend to be the real badasses in this manga.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

HerraS posted:

If you want to fight Makima you cant let her have time to prepare, so better try now that she got a sword put through her.

Additionally, Santa had to worry about one of the other groups beating her to Denji so she didn't get to choose the time or place.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
There's a knife demon as well, so it's pretty likely.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The conversation at the beginning, particularly the "lower creatures of the earth" part, really gives weight to Makima being associated with a demon of divinity or god. Outside chance maybe the human demon.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Makima's dog

Chainsaw Man: A girl and her dog and his dog.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

If that's accurate, she's over 1,600 years old by the present day. Which plays off other knowledge we've picked up in some interesting implications.

Given that she appears to be the arrow hybrid, a fairly archaic fear, that makes a certain amount of sense.

Relin posted:

i hope devils havent been around for 1600 years like this because that will give me tokyo ghoul flashbacks where i think, "theres no way society would function anything like this or develop like this with all these monsters for so long" and then i have to turn my brain off

I could totally see demons as having always been a thing, but having been a relatively minor threat or unknown until the advent of mass media commodified fear.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Kobeni managed to get out of the bureau alive and mostly well. This affront to the laws of nature must be punished.

Don't jinx it.

There are only like 5 characters still alive at this point, so if this is what it takes to keep her alive I'll be happy with it.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

a girl and her dog and his dog

Please use quotes when quoting my posts.

LostRook posted:

Chainsaw Man: A girl and her dog and his dog.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Yanking your chain, don't worry about it. I just found it funny the degree to which my post from May has become even more true.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
So we're missing Principality, Throne, Archangel and Cherubim from that fiend lineup. Though I guess Prinz and Beam could be short for Principality and Cherubim respectively.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

He could realize Denji is important and smuggle him out.

Maybe Act 2 will be Kishibe, Kobeni and Denji going on a road trip or something

Makima is immortal because of her contract, but presumably if they kill the prime minister the contract is void.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Given her stated objective I don't know what would make Denji want to cooperate with her

She's a girl?

Would Denji even care about her objective?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
At this point Asa could be Denji's prospective enemy, friend, or love interest.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
So Asa's mom killed by another incarnation of typhoon, right?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Then that guy comes back and complains about Chainsaw Man doing that to him.

Then he shows up again at the end to brag about it when Chainsaw Man is famous.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't public safety attempt a fairly public assassination of her?

That was Kishibe. He might've been going rogue. She did have a contract with the Prime Minister and seemed subservient to her bosses, but we never got a good look at exactly how the government felt about Makima.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

If the government can afford to hire Yoshida to be his handler, you'd hope they could afford an actual social worker to make sure he gets some help claiming social security, and make sure he has enough life skills not to burn his house down... but given the kind of manga this is, there probably are no social workers.

Yoshida never said he's working for the government. He said it's not an evil organization like some manga, so it could be the government but we don't know.

Come to think of it, I wonder Chainsaw ate a piece of death too, which is why people seem a little blasé about murderous demons killing tons of people.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 14, 2022

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Cool, cast listing means we get the full Katana arc.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I just wanted to talk about this bit over here, because it also works with how movie theaters are sometimes a metaphor for death in Fujimoto works.

Kobeni is, after all, the only person in that group who doesn't die. She's denied her seat.

Kishibe survives by taking the senior seat in the back.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Robviously posted:

President: We're sacrificing you kids' future to get a devil on our side.

Gen Z: future? lol bet

Future devil: lol awesome!

One year of life versus what Makima had planned is a pretty good deal all things considered.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
There's lots of stuff that's unanswered or ambiguous. Gun Devil was alive, then actually dead then alive again. Reze was his partner which implies he was hanging out in the Soviet Union, but he takes phone calls from the US President.

We never definitively found out who was behind Sawatari though I think like a lot of things you can pretty much fill in the blank with Makima did it and it works.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Just checked. US had 20 percent, Soviets had 28 percent, China had 11 percent, other countries had 4 percent and 37 percent held by devils.

Pretty much all the political information comes from Makima, so who knows.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Katana man becoming Katana man is what makes it likely to me that Makima was behind it. We've seen no one else with knowledge of hybrids, but at the end it turned out she had a collection of them.

I think she was threatening the Yakuza because that is what she does. She wants to erase criminals even if she's the one who set them up to be criminals.

The series as a whole eschews the usual mythologizing of the Yakuza to the point of showing outright disdain for everyone a part of it. It would make sense for Makima to embody that somewhat.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Brightman posted:

I'm pretty sure the last time we see the Spider Devil and Angel is in the hallway here:

No Idea if they're alive, a few of the other fiends might be alive in this too.

Angel shows up again when Kobeni is dancing.

But we don't know for certain that the chains mean death. If the chains are how she uses someone else's powers then she might've used the chains on Tendo and Kurose in the Katana Man arc and they were fine for awhile afterwards.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
She has even more face moles than Kobeni. Really putting Tung Shu to the test

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
A lot of people get her characterization wrong.

Everyone likes to portray her as adorable feral girl, but a teenage girl's naked corpse in the woods has very specific connotations and they aren't adorable. She just took advantage of that because she's kind of a wimp.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Four students died? Did Yoshifumi kill the last bully? Still good ending so far.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Eggplant Squire posted:

I think three devil hunter club members got killed

It was four students from one class. Also, Yuko killed two of the bullies so the numbers don't match.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

high school rumor mill possibly not entirely accurate, news at 11

Everything else is correct, so it's better than a lot of new services. And probably correct about the number of dead students as well.

I guess this might mark the end of the school arc since the school was somewhat destroyed, though I wouldn't be surprised if they continued to go to school in the ruins either.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 8, 2022

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I think episode 5's ending should be posted here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymQ3wEIq84Y

If only because I think it's funny how much foreshadowing there is with all the horse and female centaur imagery.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Is this also the first appearance of cellphones in the series?

I suppose if it weren't for Yoshida this could be taking place ten years after part one for all we know.

Elfface posted:

It occurs to me that if Denji were to successfully reveal his identity, he'd get a massive powerup.

He weakened because people stopped being afraid of Chainsaw Man.

But when they see the reveal... "Our lives are in the hands of THIS dumbass half-feral teenager?!"

Pochita was weakened, possibly not Denji. It's unclear if fear has an effect on hybrids, given that the bow, spear and sword hybrid are as strong as they are. Though that might just be a consequence of those weapons being more prominent post gun devil attack.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 8, 2022

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Definitely seems like the reason Yoshi is dead-set on Denji not revealing himself.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Kobeni, Kishibe and Quanxi all have exceptional, even supernatural, physical abilities that have never been explicitly revealed to be related to devil contracts. In fact the only thing we know about them with respect to deviltry is that Quanxi is a hybrid like Chainsaw/Katana, which may (or may not) raise questions about the other two.

Quanxi definitely gets hers from being a hybrid, in the same way Denji is able to hold and throw a car or fight leech semi-transformed. Certain aspects transfer through even without transforming, and someone who is at least 60 years old probably has the ability to hone it as much as possible

For Kobeni, my only guess is Namahage Devil because of her use of Denba knives and parent issues, though that might be a bit too specific for the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Student Prez isn't tall enough to be the other Chainsaw, but one-eye might be around the correct height.