Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I've been digging this, it's definitely a different flavor of manga that's nice to take in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Death devil has to be in a whole other league of strength, that should really wait for the endgame of the manga.

Sad to lose Reze, but looking forward to wild assassins all gunning for Denji!

I'm now fully expecting whatever's behind Makima's powers to be absolutely insane when it's revealed, like crazier than anything suggested in the thread so far.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 19, 2020

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Quanxi now officially the second most broken character, below only Nakima.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Okay Makima with the arms is really cool, I totally didn't notice that. I remain super interested in what Makima's deal is when she's showing multiple techniques, regeneration, and is someone you need the power of a primal fear on the level of Darkness Devil to deal with.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I have to admit a death being so bad that a devil that's known to demand a steep price to use its powers (when we'd already seen a devil demand that you start losing body parts to tap into its abilities, to the point of killing the person) just say "Oh man free powers no downsides, I just want to see your crazy death" sets a really high bar, and I'm intrigued to see how that turns out.

It will even have that extra layer of sadness when he sees it coming a little bit ahead of time but will presumably be powerless to stop it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah getting around the gore factor is going to be tough. I've definitely seen some anime that didn't mind showing graphic and bloody violence and the occasional boob, so if they broadcast it through those outlets (I'd assume late night T.V., but that's just a guess) then that's the best way to accurately translate the material.

Animation house/quality always seems like a roll of the dice to me, but hey something in the mix almost always turns out looking really good. I'm happy for the mangaka as well.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

It's a bummer that Quanxi was killed, she had a nice team-up moment there and her abilities were rad as hell before we saw her transform, and I would have liked to see what else she could do when fully devil'd out. Here's hoping that Makima is making her own suicide squad, since wee know that beheading isn't a definite kill for a Denji or Quanxi-type devil.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

A very intriguing chapter, looking forward to seeing what's coming up.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yummy, plenty of interesting lore reveals in this chapter. Was the bit at the end a historical record, or is the manga set in that timeframe and I just never realized?

Whatever's behind Denji's secret door better be truly insane, because he's way out of his depth if he wants to go toe to toe with the Gun Devil or Makima.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I actually thought it was earlier since the USSR is still kicking around, but I guess it's just survived longer subbing the gun devil for nukes.

Dunno if it's true, but I read that the town the Gun Devil attacks this chapter is the mangaka's home town.

Yikes, that's a heck of a homage to do. Good catches on the initial Denji/Makima dynamic too, that certainly seems very relevant to me and if he is Makima-proof that's a bit of an equalizer. She still presumably has access to boatloads of contracts that let her you know, survive being shot in the head, kill people entirely remotely (with some human sacrifice assistance), and turn into rats, but if he's immune to the mind control factor that helps his odds a lot. It seems like to get around that you need Gun Devil/Darkness devil levels of strength.

I'm also curious what downsides or limits there may be to Makima's main power, as I'm sure we've seen a lot of situations where she was present and could have solved a problem/ended a fight with that alone.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I hope we get clarification on why the Gun Devil can't insta-kill people born in certain months, I find stuff like that super intriguing and I'd prefer any answer to why that is, even a bad or lame answer, to just leaving it a mystery.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

RatHat posted:

Might be because this is only 20% of it.

I'd settle for that being the reason, but I'd hope for something cooler or more interesting. That "cause more fear" idea has a fun ring to it, if it wasn't being used as a pawn of multiple governments that'd make a lot of sense as something it's just deciding to do.

With how things are escalating lately, I'd be pretty on board with the world in general getting real lovely (probably not Evangelion-level lovely, but noticeably worse), maybe from mass use of the Gun Devil, and then doing a timeskip that sees Denji with a new status quo and presumably a goal to take down Makima, maybe teaming up with the guy who trained him to try to do that. With the absolute boatloads of characters who have died so far, and presumably some more tragedy coming in the near future for him, I think setting him up with some new characters and an actual motivation/goal beyond basically "get laid by Makima" would be interesting.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

drat chainsaw's power escalated a ton in the last few chapters, really puts him in a whole different light now. Being able to make that big of a change to things arguably puts him in a higher power tier than the Gun Devil and even Makima, and we've already seen the crazy poo poo those two have pulled off.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm sad to hear this wild manga is ending, but at the same time I don't know how you top the crazy all-out sprint that it's been at since the Gun Devil showed up. Now I'm totally onboard with this Mangaka doing crazy concepts that don't make it past 100 issues but dole out cool ideas at a fast pace. This also means the anime could wind up adapting the whole manga without that awkward "We're running out of road so we gotta stop it or build our own" situation, though I expect it'll need to be successful enough in its first cour for that to happen.

Very fun to see Makima finally get beat and that chapter's ending is amazing.

Denji at least seems to be lined up for a happy ending.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 7, 2020

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I was very happy to see this is just the end to part 1. With where they left things off I definitely see enough potential to do a really good part 2, and I'd be perfectly content to see things keep going with breaks in between arcs. This kind of "tell a cool story then time jump/change circumstances between arcs" setup is a good idea and I wish more manga did it. Give the mangaka a break, let them take their time to plan out more of the story ahead of time for the next arc, and build anticipation with the readers for the manga's return. And even better if you structure the arcs so that they're every 100 issues or so, and not the wild One Piece style of "do everything up to the white bear and then do something similar to the arc break that Chainsaw Man seems to be doing.

I'm sure plenty of manga do time jumps between story arcs, I just wish more of them tossed out official labels for what the names of those arcs are and gave the mangakas more time off.

Also please give me more of making me think a manga's ending and then putting up an "End of part 1/end of this arc" kind of label, I'll never get tired of being psyched out about that being done to me when it's done with a manga I like.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Remember when Makima got shot in the head by a regular ol' gun and we were like "Oh holy cow she survived that, what a wild thing that was!"

Oh if we had only known what was to come.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I hope there's some strange situation that leads to the War Devil and Denji teaming up. It seems like a bit of a waste for her to get a whole introductory chapter like this before getting chainsawed, and we need a new heroine between now and the Blood Devil coming back (other than poor, poor Kobeni, who frankly deserves a very long break away from all this).

I hope we get a team up as well, at least for some period of time. Some very fun and terrifying powers on display from the War devil as well, and it seems like all she needs to do is touch you and you're pretty hosed (though maybe Chainsawman regen could help out with that a bit).

I'm also 100% behind Denji not really having learned his lesson and being A-OK with bringing Nukes back as long as he gets to date a cute girl.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm also realizing that with things like the Gun Devil able to massacre vast swathes of people basically instantly and the Darkness Devil just immediately owning anything it wants to, War Devil's powers seem incredibly weak by comparison. They seemed strong to me at first glance, but only in a "this thing's gotta be nasty in a 1 on 1 fight" way and not a "gonna own everyone immediately" way. I feel like there's going to be some story reasons to explain why it's weak enough that it needs to partner up with anyone at all, and why the powers it grants don't seem to be anywhere near some devils that seem like they'd be roughly comparable in terms of how feared they are.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah, War probably requires a lot of people to shine.

True, with a bunch of poor innocents around they can probably do some insane stuff. I also hadn't thought of that difference between "power level of a devil possessing a body/making a contract with someone" and "power level of that devil itself fully manifesting and doing things on their own."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Tbf even at full strength I don't think War could a hold a candle to Darkness.

Yeah, based on what we've seen Darkness is the strongest devil out there, at least that I can think of. Makima was strong as hell but at least Denji managed to beat her, whereas I can't imagine Darkness being beaten. And we know Chainsaw Man was able to beat War in the past, so yeah I'd put a full strength War below Darkness as well.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm interested in what Famine would want War to take possession of to use as a weapon if all went to plan. My first guess is that it's a pure power enhancement situation where something or someone is already crazy strong, but War turning them into a weapon makes them/it even stronger. The obvious potential there would be a very strong devil, but it's certainly possible that War's powers don't work on devils (or humans possessed by devils) given that they failed on Denji.

It's also certainly possible that War's got way stronger abilities if they're fully powered up and the plan would involve bringing them back to full power. And the idea of bringing back War to a world that's known peace because it's the only way to save the world is inherently interesting. It seems like if that's all they needed to do though, or if making that happen was part of the overall plan, then Famine could've gotten the ball rolling on that a lot on their own already, and as far as I know they haven't. Maybe they need War weak to get them on board, and then once they're on board it's time to cause mega World War 3?

Even if they don't get any further powers/abilities, it seems enhancing the fear of War would be helpful no matter what, so I hope we get an explanation for why that War enhancement hasn't happened yet.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 30, 2023

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

All four horsemen serving as parts of a larger whole that all their defining traits/natures fit into would be fun. Kind of similar in context to how the seven deadly sins all fit into that "sin" category, I'd be interested in what "category" the horsemen would fit into the in the Chainsaw man universe aside from just "is a horseman."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Fun to see Public Safety come back in as a proper thing after not doing much in the fights in part 2. I kind of hope the whole Chainsaw church just ends up being chumped as part of a plan to distract them while whoever's behind the Church does something nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I feel like sometime in this second big arc we'll find out what insane fear Pochita and Chainsaw Man actually represent. We know that devils are born from fears, and get stronger the more people are afraid of that thing. That's why that chicken devil early in the arc was weak as hell and Darkness devil was instakilling folks. So I refuse to accept the premise that a devil was around that was so strong it could erase other devils like the Nuclear Weapon devil by eating them (and then erase them from all of human memory as well), and the devil that could do that was born of the fear of goddamn chainsaws. Memory loss/forgetting seems like the most sensible "true" identity based on the ability to erase concepts from human memory and how that power could plausibly be turned onto itself as a way to hide or forget its own nature, but I'm hoping there's a cooler twist than that.

I'll definitely be real disappointed though if we get to the end of the manga and it's just like nope, Chainsaws just are able to beat nukes and such in my world, don't know what to tell ya! It wouldn't be out of place with the tone of the series, but that whole situation staying unresolved or unacknowledged wouldn't sit well with me.