Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lily Catts posted:

Asa and Yoru, literally morning and night. nice

I knew they had meaning but my non-Japanese-speaking brain couldn't quite find it. thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hamelekim posted:

So based on what I read war doesn’t care about killing chainsaw man anymore, and basically just wants to screw with this girl and her life for fun?

No, she's still fully focused on getting Chainsaw Man to vomit the Nuclear Weapons Devil. She wants to use Asa to gain power to do so, and ruining her life is apparently a really good way to make strong weaponry by warping her friendships.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

OnimaruXLR posted:

They should introduce creatures who are fueled by fear that is mostly more like confusion, with the two greatest threats being the Romance and Math devils

Well, I see no better time and place than this arc happening in a school with students as our protagonists.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

EmmyOk posted:

I’m curious where Kishibe is in all of this too

I know what character you mean but my brain went to Jojo's Kishibe Rohan instead and the idea of Rohan entering the Chainsaw Man world is too hilarious to ignore now. He'd be so thrilled, so many cool manga ideas.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

galagazombie posted:

Death is literally the foundation of all fear, even if it’s misplaced, indirect, or just plain wrong. All those ways of dying, are still subsets of dying, they’re only feared “more” in relation to other ways to die*. Fear is our brain telling us something might make death that much more likely. There’s no way for Death not to be #1 without some kind of caveat like chainsaw took a bite out or it was sealed away or something.

Rather than that caveat, what we know is the exact opposite: Death should be significantly more powerful than it was in the past considering that previously it had to compete with four other demons that Chainsaw Man ate. Furthermore, death is insanely prevalent in the Chainsaw Man verse, where you can get killed at any point by a random demon and people are fully aware of this. Meanwhile, we were told even in Part 1 that War got hosed up by Pochita, which Yoru herself confirmed, having had important parts of her eaten (which erased WWII, nuclear weaponry, etc.), and due to that "war" as a concept exists only in the realm of games, no one is worried about a war happening, which also loops back to Yoru being weakened even further.

tl;dr the series has hinted that Death would be extremely powerful and I see no reason to think it won't be.

Somewhat unconnected to it, I wonder what would happen if Chainsaw Man ate death, and thus life had no ending point (because the other four also got eaten), I guess every living being would just be immortal? That'd definitely power up the Overpopulation Demon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's never stated, but it's hinted the Violence Fiend is indeed Arai. They look identical beyond the usual Fiend changes, Violence only appears after Arai died, both of them are Kobeni's partners (heightened by the fact that Violence specifically remembers his entire human life and wasn't overtaken by the Devil's will), the anime opening specifically doesn't show Violence in the cinema scene even though the rest of the main cast is in (because Arai is there). I think it's all but certain they'll have the same VA once Violence appears in the anime too.

I think it's pretty safe to conclude that the Violence Devil did indeed take over Arai's dead body.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

lih posted:

solution: turn it into a weapon as it still has sentimental value

Now that you mention it, that may be exactly what happens. There's nothing saying that a broken tool can't be a powerful weapon, after all. Though it's not like Asa can do much on that regard without Yoru.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 22, 2022

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wish I could do the same Denji did here in my everyday life. What an example.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mycelia posted:

Life is full of misery, but cats also exist. It honestly makes me wonder if Fujimoto has real experience with those kind of feelings because gently caress if that didn't resonate with me. (I type, with my cat making a nuisance of herself because it's dinnertime. Can't lie in bed all day, I've got a mouth to feed.)

There's no way he hasn't. The dialogue is too real not to. Asa's thoughts as she accepted suicide brought me back to a time of my life I'd very much never want to return to, as did her thinking no one could have it as bad as she does. And Denji reminded me of the good and important things in life. My cat, ice cream every night, and of course, sex.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yeah, chainsaw man, very cool. What if I gave chainsaw man a laser powered chainsaw and kobeni's car was a cyber truck?

While I know you meant to make it look cool, I could only think of a 4Kids dub with that, and now I have to wonder how the hell that'd even work for a series as gory and perverted as Chainsaw Man.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Libluini posted:

And even if it is literal, hard-coded belief you need for that stupid stunt to work, with recent advances in stabbing chainsaws through your head, eventually she could just put chainsaws into her head that are lobotomizing her and just force herself to believe in any dumb poo poo she wants!

I fixed this since we already had the technology to do this in-universe, the future is now in 1997 old man.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Happy Landfill posted:

Yeah, I think it's more funnier if Yoshida isn't being malicious in all this. It's funnier to think that Yoshida is just as much of a gently caress-up as Denji, he's just better at playing it cool and making it seem like he's totally in control of the whole thing. On his face he looks like he knows what he's doing but in his head he's like, "maybe this will work? poo poo gently caress why isn't this working?? Oh, I know, maybe he wants a handy"

I agree but also I disagree with a key point here. Yoshida is way more of a gently caress up than Denji. Denji lacks knowledge and grace, but he's very good at improvising and can actually understand a lot if given the chance to do so. Yoshida is great at pretending he's wise, but in reality he's managed to completely misunderstand Denji in every single level and way possible, wasn't great at dealing with Asa either, and even he seems to be aware that he does a terrible job at pretending to be an ordinary high school student. I 100% believe he's genuinely trying to play the role of Denji's friend and all of this is him trying to give Denji the happiness he obviously wants, but his read on Denji is so superficial that he'll make everything worse, again. Denji is rude and gross, but I have no doubts he'd properly understand Yoshida and give him what he wants if he had even the slightest interest in the guy - but then again, he only cares about girls.

Maybe wiener toucher has a better chance at becoming Denji's friend.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

yum posted:

So what, is Yoshida trying to show that Denji doesn't need to turn into Chainsawman to defend himself? Or is he trying to force Denji to transform into Chainsawman to justify muzzling him further? Or is this some kind of 4d chess Pavlovian reinforcement training to get Denji to associate not transforming with sex

Or the more fun alternative, Yoshida was 100% honest about setting Denji up with karaoke girl and managed to not only misunderstand what Denji wanted, but also what karaoke girl wanted (to kill Denji).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

Waaaait a second.

Chainsaw Man is set in the late 90s right?

How is she singing a Maximum the Hormone song that debuted in 2007?!

Pochita ate the Temporal Consistency Devil.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Scholtz posted:

Uh sorry bud, we're reading the incel manga. Sex is purely theoretical for our protagonists and for us

Denji has had several chances to gently caress and willingly turned down every single one of them. There's no in there, he's 100% volcel whether he accepts it or not.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I would not trust a guide by Yoshida.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Saitama vs Denji would at least be interesting because sure, Denji can't even remotely hurt the guy, but Saitama can't finish Denji off either since he's immortal. It'd give Saitama some degree of fun for once...though likely short-lived if he can't get Denji some blood to get back up.

It feels a bit like that Saitama vs Majin Buu fight from a DragonGarowLee manga, I think, only Chainsaw Man's regeneration is more involved than Buu's.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Steve Yun posted:

I was going to suggest Mortal Kombat guest but that sounds even better

If Chainsaw Man appears in a fighting game, it must be another Shonen Jump crossover (hopefully better than the last one) just because it'd be so funny to see this manga's ultraviolence with the significantly tamer other series.

Also a version of Chainsaw Man already exists in the MHA verse so it'd be actually pretty neat to have Deku acknowledge Denji. That can only lead to great interactions, Denji would be so happy to be known as a hero.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Heck of a time to catch up, congrats.

You can say that about nearly every chapter.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kwyndig posted:

That would be hilarious/horrifying, hilarifying.

Finally, an adjective that can describe this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MorningMoon posted:

I keep thinking about dickbutt denji

Denji: AAAH! WHERE DID MY WEINER GO?! A-and wh-what's in my butt..??
Katana: HAHAHAHA! YOU HAVE A DICK IN UR rear end, YOU'RE GAY!! GAY FOR CHAINSAWMAN!!!
Denji: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

On the other hand, he can be happy that he finally had sex.