Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mulderman posted:

:stare:

There goes my hopes that she really likes Denji and wasn't just playing him.

Beam is a complete bro though.

Maybe this is how devil's express love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bomb is very cool.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's the latter because it reinforces Aki is just continuously shaving his life away.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I enjoy the trend of my favourite idiot son Denji continuously finding ways to outwit his foes.

Also, i'm glad Reze didn't die. Bomb should be a cool reoccurring villain.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm sad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Makima is very cool imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

it's the suit

It helps a lot.

But she's also just pretty interesting I feel. Not really in regards to her mysterious powers, but more about how what her angle is and how she thinks about what she's doing. There's a lot of potential there.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I respect Chainsaw Man's commitment to being completely unpredictable, and in a way that's never really disappointing.

It's a gift.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Makima hasn't even appeared in the last few chapters but every week i'm left thinking "drat, Makima seems so cool. What's her deal!?!"

Can't wait for her fight against true Santa.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

I think it's kind of the reverse. If primal fears are things that go back to "caveman" times then violence between people would have been extremely common and a normal part of everyone's lives. Obviously people would have been afraid of losing a fight or of getting hurt, but a fear of violence happening would be more modern; if you are walking down the street and a fight breaks out, it's scary even if no-one's in danger of serious injury because for most people it's very rare.

Perhaps that fear is shared between between a devil of violence and a devil of people with the potency of the fear split between all the aspects involved , perhaps also add the devils of weapons which are used to commit violence or devils of emotions that may lead to violence. The same could be said of darkness I guess with a fear of night maybe but there are many facets of violence that humanity fears which probably have their own devils, so maybe violence itself is not as strong as its individual parts.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jerkface posted:

they have demon sex in this very chapter!! denji drinking power's blood is maybe one of the most erotically charged panels you'll see in a manga outside of something that is specifically an ero title. I like that the manga is grappling with Denji's feelings and also despite power being naked for like half the chapter she was not drawn in a fanservicey way. They have a great dumbass sibling energy but this chapter definitely lays out some road map for Denji x Power. Denji is portrayed as very immature and the only reason he even likes Makima is because she is cute and treated him nice. Meanwhile shes using him to fight a devil war or whatever, there is a conceivable future where he is done being used and his relationship with Power has matured to a healthy point and he will realize he would rather chill with power all day than do anything with makima.

I mean, in this latest chapter Denji decided he'd rather hang out with Power than go on a date with Makima but I don't think it was portrayed romantically at all. It's not even the first time Denji ended up choosing his friends over his crush. Same thing happened when Reze asked him to run away with her. He didn't turn her down because he liked Makima more or because he didn't trust her, it was because he kinda liked his new job and was getting on well with his new roommates even though one was really annoying and he never used to like the other guy and he didn't want to lose that relationship.

Denji might be a horny teen who recently set himself on fire because he wanted to go on a date, but his friends seem just as important to him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I love this terrible family a whole lot.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Big Leg posted:

in the last few months we've had chapters of completely alien symbolic imagery with little to no dialogue, a chapter where denji beats the badguy by setting himself on fire, a meditation on trauma, and a chapter that is essentially 20 pages of setup for a joke about aki puking. i love this manga so much.

I think that's kinda selling this latest chapter short.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Aki will die but Angel will resurrect him like Pochita did for Denji.

And then later he will die again.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

The thing that will probably be the actual sad thing about Aki's inevitable death will be that given how Fujimoto doesn't tend to go for obvious emotional beats- Denji and Power will react to it how they normally react to the deaths of their comrades: a mixture of indifference/mild annoyance.

Basically Denji and Power will likely be "Hey rear end in a top hat! I kinda liked that guy, he cooked for us!"

I mean literally 2 chapters ago Denji was thinking about how if he actually knew the people dying around him he'd be way more messed up about it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think this is going to go well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thoren posted:

Don't worry I am sure one of these characters will live to old age and die a peaceful death.

My money's on Makima.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think she will turn evil either. After all she's been evil all along! :twisted:

They're laying it on strong enough that i've got tp imagine there's more to it than that though. But I still really doubt she's on the side of the public safety team.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah kind of lol. Even if she doesn’t work for public safety she’s just horrible lol. Though I think similarly about public safety if they’ve hired her. I assume Kishibe is ants to kill her because he’s a nice old man now

Kishibe all our fight when Fuji

I mean considering we just saw her pull some mind-control poo poo in the latest chapter I think saying public safety hired her might not exactly be how it went down.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Perhaps but she could probably be even higher up. Maybe her bosses are even worse etc. I just think the whole organisation will be rotten not just her

I mean yeah they probably suck. They absolutely want to take all the guns for Japan. But i'm pretty certain them and Makima being awful are separate matters.

At the very least I expect the comic to have more for Makima than her just being an agent for public security. If only because it'd be kind of a boring outcome.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thank God for America.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That scene and the chapter of Denji and Makima at the movies kinda make me think Makima had a similar past to him and Reze. I know the most common interpretation of the movie scene is that Makima was faking to manipulate Denji but it's so unlike how she usually is I feel it's got to be significant, same with Reze's death.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This is good, but like in a terrible way where I am sad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean Makima's not even the head of public security. I don't think that's really restraining her or anything but I don't think "I want to control humanity!!" is really her goal when she's not even in charge of her place of work.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chainsaw Man's always been great but since like the Snake and Katana devil arc especially the comic's had a strong narrative, great characters, cool fights and excellent designs. It's legitimately very good and been pretty consistently the best thing in Jump for a while.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I’m sad and it’s just the cover page.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You wouldn't do that for one of your buddies?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh, Chainsaw Man.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I love meta stuff so this was sick imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think that's a pretty cynical take on Eri.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Maybe. Certainly it's a cynical way to phrase it.

But I'm not sure it's wrong. The real Eri in the last act looked like she based herself off the distorted Eri in the film without seeing the rest of the story. She's taking a part as the whole.

I mean sure, but I don't think the comic is particularly judgy about that. Honestly that angle mostly seems to reinforce the theme of the power of art to influence your memories. With art you can choose how someone is remembered, it can make people believe something fake is real (which the whole meta angle of this one-shot works into because by the end very difficult to tell whether anything was "real" or just part of a movie) and I don't think Fujimoto portrays that as a negative. Or as a positive for that matter. I think it's trying to show that "drat, movie's are incredible" which is pretty on-brand.

Like, with the reveal that mom was actually a huge jerk the main thing I took from it was like how the reader's perspective proves what dad is saying about how art can choose is someone remembered. I know my first read through for that opening movie I was like "drat, the audience sucks. That seems like a pretty sweet way to remember his mum all in all, she was portrayed really lovely." but turns out she wasn't anything like what I thought. It was evidence of how easily movies can influence people and how that's kinda amazing. That's one of the big themes of the one-shot imo.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 11, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I've seen that suggested before, and on examining the evidence, it doesn't seem to fit.

Yuta's only other actors are Eri, and his dad. Other people only show up in "real" footage. Yuta's dad is capable of taking the role, but older Yuta lacks some of the wrinkles that his dad had, and extensive makeup work seems outside the scope of his project.

Something else really interesting for framing the last scenes as part of the film?

It's the one part of the story that isn't filmed. Yuta drops his camera in shock when he sees Eri again, and never picks it up again on panel.

I mean are you sure Eri and Dad were the only actors in the movie? Until that scene with Eri's friend we had no reason to think that what we were seeing of Eri and Yuta's relationship was false but turns out arguably every scene of them could have been scripted. Did we see a single scene of her with glasses? One of the points of the reveal about mom is to highlight that art doesn't necessarily tell the truth. And hell, the comic itself states part of the fun of a story like this is the puzzle of trying to tell apart fact from fiction. I don't think the story wants that distinction to be clear cut.

Hell, I think you could make a strong argument that everything in the story could just be part of the movie.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If anyone hasn't read To Strip The Flesh they probably should btw. It's a really good one-shot.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh Chainsaw Man.....

How I missed you.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Aki...... :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Angel is cool. Glad he made top 10

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He def made the right choice.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man I love Denji.

Worried about his financial situation though. How's he going to be taking care of Nayuta if he's so broke. :ohdear:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Those dogs are raising that child.

And they’re probably raising Nayuta too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wonderslug posted:

I missed a zero the first time through because I was reading on my phone, but Yoshida just shelled out for over sixteen hours of Denjisitting. I wonder if that's going to prove relevant in the future.

That’s the standard rate for guys.