Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cuntellectual posted:

Out of curiosity, what'd you like about Fire Punch? It's probably one of my least favorite manga that I actually completed.

e: For the record, I just didn't find any of the characters all that interesting or relatable.

I didn't like the ending either. It just seemed kind of pointless.

I think the main reason I like CSM more than FP is just that Agni is incredibly boring and his support cast isn't interesting enough to make up for that.

Also, everything about Agni having a pseudo incestuous relationship with a retarded Judah was kind of hosed up, even for me.

As someone who also liked it for some reason, I think the main reason is that I found it "interestingly weird." I had no idea where it was going and I also liked how it kept relatively straight to the "this guy is experiencing constant agony" premise (to the extent that I felt uncomfortable just reading it).

So it's not so much that I thought it was really good, but I found it to be better than most other random manga simply by virtue of being interesting and surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RatHat posted:

I suspect death in Hell might not be the same as death in the real world.

It likely means either death or something significant like being turned into a devil, since you'll notice that the only characters not obviously killed were the really major ones (Chainsaw, Power, dude who uses the Fox Devil).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Inflammatory posted:

until i see denji, power, or aki bite it i'm gonna assume anybody who dies is dead dead.

Yeah, the fact that the most major characters were spared or suffered "not extremely obviously fatal" injuries makes me think the ones that weren't are actually dead.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chainsaw Man retroactively vindicates my (at the time) controversial opinion that Fire Punch was actually good, if rough around the edges.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

The section at the beginning when he talks about how long it took for him to begin to cope with the pain was very vivid. The man can draw some violence

The depiction of the guy constantly being in hellish discomfort was genuinely uncomfortable to read. There was this one scene where he was up all night and a character (I think the film buff one?) was talking to him and he mentioned it distracting from the pain.

Media frequently has characters who experience non-stop pain develop a mental "resistance" to it, even though it totally doesn't work that way at all (if anything it's the opposite), so it was interesting seeing something different.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

I'll admit that I've only read about ten, twenty chapters into JJK (didn't have any real dislike of it, just didn't do it for me) and it's definitely... more standard. JJK's got the mystical secret organization, the hero getting drawn into it from ordinary life, the supporting cast of oddballs, the concrete quest, the recurring baddies, whole thing. It feels like a more violent traditional shonen.

And there's nothing wrong with that! MHA is a very traditional shonen, and it's putting in good work right now. A conventional structure gives a story a solid spine to build around.

Chainsaw Man, meanwhile, is its own thing, to the point of sometimes clearly swerving from, or even parodying the standard Shonen Jump formula. (The DREAM BATTLE is hard to take as anything but aimed at One Piece.)

Chainsaw Man's got an organization, but even aside from Makima's shadiness it's just shown as a regular-rear end job. Good pay and benefits, lovely life expectancy, lots of paperwork. You don't work to be an "A Rank". You work to earn enough of a bonus to buy a car.

Denji's drawn into the organization from outside it, but the fantastical elements (Devils and the killing thereof) are less new to him than the mundane elements. He needs exposition on things in the plot like fiends, but that's because he also needs exposition on the fact that, normally, teenagers go to this thing called "school".

Chainsaw Man's got oddballs in the cast, but the high turnover means you can't rely on them. The scene at the bar with the Special Fourth division is pretty stock. You meet a bunch of people, you learn a little about them, and you expect to see them turn up from time to time to interact with the six "core" Devil Hunters from the hotel.

Then almost everyone dies, including Himeno, who was presented as one of the leads. (And who Fujimoto seems to quite like, from her appearances in bonus material.) Before half a year is up, we learn to treat every single character except Denji, Power, and Aki as disposable. Background agents are dead men walking, even if you grow to like them, even if they're fleshed out, and the talk about how dangerous the job is doesn't just act as flavor to show how brave and skilled the survivors are.

The quest for Gun Devil parts ends almost as soon as it's introduced, with the Katana arc ending with the recovery of enough parts to end the need for more. Despite the hotel suggesting a structure (Denji's team hunts a powerful Devil, retrieves a piece, gets closer to finding Gun, repeat), the manga blows away along with most of division 4.

Villains are similarly unlikely to survive their intro arc. Instead of a concrete villain organization, you get various actors independently causing mass death. You kill Reze, that's just the USSR's best agent being out of the fight. Germany, China, and the USA will still have their own assassins later.

JJK wants to put its own spin on the Shonen Jump battle manga formula. Chainsaw Man just saw a bunch of Tarantino and 70s horror movies and wants to find out if there's any limit to what Shihei Rin will approve.

While it's obviously more "typical" than CSM (which doesn't follow that template at all), I would characterize it as far less typical than something like MHA. The general way the plot progresses is pretty unique, and the characters are generally much better than the ones in other shounen battle manga (including MHA; I like MHA, but it sticks fairly closely to character archetypes).

I actually like how the JJK protagonist is superficially similar to other shounen protagonists, but is actually quite different. He's not motivated as much by some great altruism/heroism as he is a desire to keep his connections with other people (and ensure he "dies surrounded by loved ones," which is fundamentally selfish in a way), and he's generally a pretty cool/chill guy who sorta comes off as more confident than most other shounen protags (who are either burning spirit types or heroic types who can still be kind of awkward socially).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Funny, I didn't really interpret the scene that way. I think he started crying because of all the complicated emotions, and worried that Makima would think he wasn't happy to visit or something. Alternatively, maybe he was worried she'd think he was coming on to her or something by cuddling up

Yeah, this is really obviously what's going on. It doesn't make any sense for him to be reflexively trying to activate his chainsaw, and he is very obviously emotionally distraught and crying but does't want her to see it (so he's covering his face).

Also, isn't there only a chainsaw cord thing in his chest?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

grassy gnoll posted:

I've found the person who's never taken care of a Husky, let alone multiple Huskies.

One of my dogs is a half-husky and she's pretty much the complete opposite of "eager to please"; she follows you around yelling at you until you pet her. She's probably the smartest dog I've ever had in general.

The other dog, a mutt, is completely cowed by her even though he weighs like 40 pounds more and is basically a mass of rippling muscle.

vvv It's a very apt description. Probably the most accurate term to use for it would be "bitching." Just making sure that you know she is not pleased with the fact that you aren't paying attention to her and is going to follow you around wailing about it until you do.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 17, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: Editing out this post since I realized it's sorta spoiling another series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A genuine moment in this series stands out more due to its tone during the rest of it. It only really works and manages to not be cheesy because of that.