Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tenebrais posted:

Also just in general, cooking and baking are different skills. If you're making a stew you can go pretty wild and it's hard to make something genuinely bad, especially if you've got a variety of ingredients, but baking is quite technical and needs a reasonable degree of precision to not ruin what comes out.

And this chapter was totally adorable.

Yeah boiling the poo poo out of things is literally the oldest form of cooking and is basically impossible to gently caress up, whereas baking is precise enough that adding a little too much of a specific ingredient can make the resulting product almost completely inedible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

What Sullivan did with Iruma is definitely a no-no, so he could get in trouble if it becomes wide knowledge(beyond the obvious issues if everyone learns that Iruma is a squishy human).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

I do hope Iruma never becomes some sort of Shonen protagonist with his powerups. Sure his powers do improve and they exist in the plot to help his friends, but it feels way more thematically appropriate for a few of the people around him to become a metaphorical power house for bad guy beat downs while Iruma (and Clara) remain the adorable support roles.

Iruma has already done some fairly shonen things and probably will do more in the future, especially since his ring buddy is getting narrative focus again, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. The manga has been one of the better ones I've ever seen about spreading the spotlight around to the side cast quite equitably. You could make a strong argument that Amelie got the most impressive big hero moment of Walter Park, for example.

The author seems very invested in everyone from the Misfits(and Amelie) being really important and useful even if Iruma is the focus.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The real tragedy about how quickly and effectively Misfits caught up is that now we won't be getting like 4 releases a week anymore.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Brought To You By posted:

The author really wants to hammer home that despite Iruma's life being threatened multiple times while in the demon world. It's still a better existence than what he had with his parents.

His life was threatened constantly while he was with his parents, too, it's just that he was in danger of dying due to neglect rather than due to angry demons trying to kill him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Adnor posted:

Everyone should have friends as supporting as Azz-Azz and Clara, and family as good as Sullivan and Opera :allears:

I want to see Sullivan and Opera's reaction to the Irugly comment. Luckily they aren't in the stadium or I assume Gyari would have been vaporized.

The best/funniest thing is that everyone both immediately sees through the "disguise" and there's absolutely no "he's dressed as a GIRL????????", they're all just like "hell yeah".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

LostRook posted:

Just realized that demonstrating Wicked Phase on command is probably a really bad idea.

All of the others put on a convincing wicked phase act despite not actually being in it, so there's no real reason why people wouldn't just assume Iruma was doing the same.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

everything is an isekai if you squint hard enough

This is explicitly an isekai without needing to squint.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kalego is a dedicated educator who cares deeply about the growth and development of his students. However, he will murder every single one of these children in an instant if it means he doesn't have to become fluffball again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I would assume that most demons don't even hit rank 4. Babyls is an important elite school that you have to do entry tests and/or nepotism to get into, so "most students graduate Babyls at rank 4" suggests to me that that's sort of the lower bound of the upper classes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I've not forgotten that demons are creatures of desire and greed. She's a nice person sure but she also carried around a photo of someone she met only once for like half a year

Iruma has a way of inspiring insane devotion in demons easily. Asmodeus swore basically eternal loyalty to him after having a single match with him, and everyone else basically falls in love with him the moment they meet him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Patware posted:

they're demons

Yeah, the entire point of this setup is that the demon teachers are capricious and decided "hm you know what it would be fun to knock the wind out of their sails". It's not like they're trying to kill them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

Congrats to Opera for being #2 in the character poll

Big ouch that Clara didn't make top 15.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Missingnoleader posted:

She's literally number 6 though.

But also Mother Father Gentlemen Camui

oh my god, i didn't even see her in the corner because she's so tiny.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The point was less to be an effective teaching lesson and more of a "the teachers are bored and also want to knock the misfits down a peg just to keep them from getting too arrogant and also because demons enjoy loving with people like that" scenario.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

It's definitely been mentioned before in a "ha-ha" kind of way, but there's a difference between "hee hee, demon classes involve blackmail and torture" and "Jazz gets brutalized on-page by someone he's supposed to be able to trust so that the Misfits can have a fancy classroom".

Like, seriously, at this point is it even worth trying to win? Is avoiding losing Royal One and not dropping a rank really worth what just happened to Jazz?

Owl Boy just got his rear end beaten into unconsciousness while functionally not fighting back against a teacher. Even before this arc, Jazz's entire training arc consisted of being abused, lied to, tricked, exploited, and abandoned by his supposed mentor to acclimate him to others doing that to him(even his little flashback features his mentor laughing at him for getting scammed).

We've long since thrown out the "the kids are meant to feel safe and trust their teachers" concept.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I don't think so. We already have a couple of traitor teachers, I think torture guy just loves torture and every opportunity he has to try it out on people, because he's a demon and this is a demon school.

The only weird part of this chapter is that I expected the torture to be portrayed a lot more cartoonishly.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

After all my complaints about the teachers taking this exercise too far, it would be hilarious if this is just the end of the battle sequence and the rest of the volume is a highly-emotional series of arguments about whether the teachers brought this outcome upon themselves, or whether Sabnock should be expelled, executed, or promoted for murdering an instructor.

I'd rate the odds that rear end in a top hat here is dead at close to 0%.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I suspect that the purpose of all this will be to divert suspicion away from Sheeda, maybe by having her save the day and protect the students. Don't know whether it will be because of blackmail, acting skills, or some sort of Manchurian Candidate poo poo, but she's probably going to be the far more dangerous of the two Fingers to Bablys.

I'd think that if anything, Atori going loud like this would draw a lot of suspicion to Sheeda as well, because they both joined at the same time and are both still outsiders compared to the rest of the teachers who are relatively close-knit. She might end up saving some people to defray suspicion though, yeah.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

A jargogle posted:

So is the machine that generated the paper detecting Iruma, or the ring?

The ring, since Iruma doesn't have his own mana(that we are aware of).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

Not sure how I feel about the idea that Jazz didn't "really" get tortured.

He got tortured for real, the torture teacher asked for permission to go all out and use even more horrific things and was denied.

Something along the lines of "Ah, man, it sucks I was only able to put him on a rack and waterboard him, I really wanted to stuff him in a brazen bull."

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 9, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Soylentbits posted:

I still think they’re setting up a heel turn down the line from torture teacher.

I'm almost 100% sure that torture teacher is just a bad gag that doesn't land well. He's hardly the only teacher who has no problem harming his students, after all - poor Jazz also has to deal with Furfur as a mentor, who deliberately sabotages, steals from, and fucks over his students as well. Babyls does seem to advocate tough love/school of hard knocks teaching.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Balam and Iruma's interactions are adorable.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

That fakeout worked on me. But I appreciate Iruma calling on his best friend first and getting their Mother instead. Lord only knows how powerful she actually is if she even snuck up on Opera of all people.

I assume he specifically called for Alice and then Amuryllis tagged along because she thought it would be amusing. She's one of the crowns, though, so she's gotta be near the top of the heap.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I see that Amuryllis is from Anor Londo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

theorizing time before we find out for real, what does everyone think causes the date's infamous name? I personally wonder if the "betrayal" is going to be iruma revealed as a human, and Sullivan ousted from leadership for abducting/hiding a human the way he did being the betrayal in question(against the demon race or somesuch), since I think we saw mention of that being a taboo earlier in the series. kirio has been showing up occasionally and baal's mucking about so that's about the most nonviolent way I can see this ending

or it could just be a big ridiculous brawl where a bunch of high tier demons turn on the others

I'm wondering this too. "Everyone finding out that Iruma is human" is the biggest bombshell the series has in reserve, with potentially more of a dramatic effect on the status quo than someone dying or turning traitor.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

iruma's not important enough yet. his species being revealed would incite a hunt, not a war.

Iruma is the adopted grandson of one of the three most powerful demons that currently exist and commands the personal affection/loyalty of a bunch of people who are either very powerful themselves(Balam, Opera, Bachiko, almost assuredly Kalego) or are important parts of very powerful families(Amelie, most of his class).

Baal going "by the by, Sullivan's grandson is a human, why are we allowing a human among us and what does that say about Sullivan" would instantaneously draw battle lines of some sort. We've seen ample proof that Sullivan gets absolutely serious mode murderous when Iruma is under any sort of threat.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yes, I like where this is going.

Obviously the slap was awesome but I like Iruma being challenged directly with the idea that there will be important and powerful people who he absolutely cannot friendship talk over to his side. He's gone full harem protagonist over other, more convincible youths and even some of the teachers but an ages old super powerful racist? That's something he should have to confront with force and it's good for him to learn that here, from AzMom.

This is going to be especially relevant if it becomes public that he's a human, which will instantly predispose people to regard him as either a bizarre curiosity or an enemy rather than a colleague or peer before he even has a chance to give them the old razzle dazzle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I am getting extremely tired of people saying Iruma is human but getting cut off by something conveniently loud/distracting enough to stop them from being heard, then just not bothering to repeat themselves. It was complained about above but it's becoming so dumb and contrived that it's irritating.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I really hope Baal's plan backfires spectacularly and him loving around with this godly princess ends in him trying to seize her or otherwise harm or capture her for his evil plans and she just ruins his poo poo in an instant for his hubris because, again, she is a god, or what they consider a godlike being

Yeah, this chapter made me want Baal to get his rear end beat because she very earnestly wants to be his friend at the very least, and he's only playing along to use her.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Ameri is so far out in the lead it's not even close. Apologies to the harem.

Honestly, I never thought this was really in contention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I love the normal manga to pieces and am completely happy with how it's going, but I would be lying if I didn't say that I'm honestly even more excited for new spinoff chapters because it's just that good.