Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Whether Xavier has gone Full Heinous or not, how the gently caress is nobody giving him the benefit of the doubt? Every other X-Man should be saying "Well, wait a second, this is basically the godfather of mutantkind and poster child for the peaceful solution here, he's probably running some kind of scheme" but nope, everyone is full on "Charles has to die". Duggan's run is I think the biggest tank in quality from start to end I've ever read, surpassing Bendis. As much as I'll really miss the status quo of mutants being top dog for loving once, MacKay's run can't come soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I get the feeling people are more sick of Xavier's paternalistic handling of poo poo than of any actual judgement calls he's made

Granted, those have been pretty dubious too, going as far back as the birth of Onslaught, stuff like the Danger and Vulcan reveals, his collusion with Moira (which made Magneto ashamed enough to retire), forcing the mutants to stand down during the Hellfire Gala Massacre (this one is arguably justifiable, considering Orchis had all those hostages) and now him offering to help the Sentinels in an attempt to keep mutants alive long enough to deal with the Dominion(s)

The fact that the guy who has access to everyone else's secrets is consistently keeping his own with disastrous results is not a good look

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can't believe no one likes Xavier anymore after all the lying and betraying and scheming behind everyone's backs and killing people and having sinister secretly overwrite cypher and...

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The scene with Scott basically spilled it out. Everyone hates that he didn't give them a choice and unilaterally decided what's best. And he's still doing that instead of working with everyone. And he's also killing a bunch of people now on behalf of the AI. Even if it's for the larger goal of defeating Enigma, he's not telling most everyone, and so it looks bad to them .

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sinister didn't overwrite cypher. the real cypher is still wherever krakoa put him for safekeeping.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's also not exactly unprecedented. Xavier's been doing the right thing for the wrong reasons, or vice versa, since the Silver Age. Chuck deciding that he knows best for everyone, regardless of what everyone is telling him, is a remarkably consistent character trait.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

Whether Xavier has gone Full Heinous or not, how the gently caress is nobody giving him the benefit of the doubt? Every other X-Man should be saying "Well, wait a second, this is basically the godfather of mutantkind and poster child for the peaceful solution here, he's probably running some kind of scheme" but nope, everyone is full on "Charles has to die". Duggan's run is I think the biggest tank in quality from start to end I've ever read, surpassing Bendis. As much as I'll really miss the status quo of mutants being top dog for loving once, MacKay's run can't come soon enough.

Professor Xavier has been a genuine borderline-supervillain for like two decades now. Everyone hates him and nobody trusts him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Told this chuck guy is a JERK

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

Told this chuck guy is a JERK

Huge if true.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

nemesis_hub posted:

Those of us who don't want Krakoa to end need a slogan like "Magneto/Cyclops was right", and maybe a logo that would look good on a t-shirt. Krakoa Lives? There's gotta be a good one but I can't think of it.

Gotta wait for Quentin Quire to get back in the witty T-shirt game...

Soonmot posted:

There was a "reason" given for leaving Shogo behind, but I forget what it was. Honestly I hate that bit Jubilee lore and am glad he's gone.

I think for a while it was just like "he likes it there and won't stop crying when he's on Earth" which, well, fair. I know if I had the option of being a majestic dragon or going back to Earth and being a fuckin' baby that shits his diapers and can't do much I'd probably stick with dragon. But I think it kind of sucks because well... it's a loving baby. It's not like leaving a drat family pet behind. No matter how you slide the timeline, she's had him for a while now, she should give a little more of a drat.

Like I'm not like "Jubilee's time as a mom was the best era for her character!" (even though it did overlap with her time as a vampire, which... well...) but it just feels totally unnatural for her to leave a kid behind in another realm.

e: oh poo poo I am several pages behind... uh... whoops.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 3, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vampire Mom Jubilee was in fact the best era of the character.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The bit in X-Tremists where she picked up a baseball bat and proceeded to go ham on the loving planet because she suddenly remembered that she had a kid was easily the best character moment she’s had since… the cartoon?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm actually wondering right now if vampire mom isn't jubilee's best era what is

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

i'm actually wondering right now if vampire mom isn't jubilee's best era what is

The very early stories where she's hanging out with Wolverine are kinda fun, and I'm a sucker for Generation X, even if it was largely a mess. But I wouldn't put either of those above vampire mom Jubes.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Air Skwirl posted:

The very early stories where she's hanging out with Wolverine are kinda fun, and I'm a sucker for Generation X, even if it was largely a mess. But I wouldn't put either of those above vampire mom Jubes.

The problem with the early Jubes-Wolvie stories is that Claremont wrote them such that it seems like she wants to have sex with Logan. You may disagree that's not Claremont's intent but I'd counter that sexually active teen girls wanting to gently caress adult men is one of his writing cliches.

The best Jubilee issue is the one where she teaches Chuck to rollerblade.

ETA: Actually, that's one of the better Chuck stories, too, because it's mostly about him losing touch with his dream and how Jubilation brings him back to it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

site posted:

While it's hard to point to a particular moment, there's something to be said for being THE prototypical 90's X-man during the actual 90's.

Like, half the reason Vampire Mom Jubilee resonates at all is that Jubilee became a vampire mom right around the time a lot of comics readers who cut their teeth on the era she was popular in started becoming vampire moms and dads themselves.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I liked early-mid 90s Chuck, he was still the professor but he wasn't "that guy who taught me how to use my powers" to everybody on the team. Jubes defers to him because she's a kid and he's a professor but it's a very different dynamic than Cyclops or Jean have with him.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The bit in X-Tremists where she picked up a baseball bat and proceeded to go ham on the loving planet because she suddenly remembered that she had a kid was easily the best character moment she’s had since… the cartoon?

That series was so good. Only like 5 issues iirc

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

While it's hard to point to a particular moment, there's something to be said for being THE prototypical 90's X-man during the actual 90's.

Like, half the reason Vampire Mom Jubilee resonates at all is that Jubilee became a vampire mom right around the time a lot of comics readers who cut their teeth on the era she was popular in started becoming vampire moms and dads themselves.

And especially those of us for whom the X-Men were nothing but a cartoon. I didn't start reading comics til I was 20. But I definitely remember getting up at the asscrack of dawn to watch X-Men on FOX KIDS lol. Jubes is my generation's Kitty Pryde. I'm sure all of us appreciated her getting to move beyond being a teen character into becoming an adult.
Though I'll confess I bounced off X-Calibur so I never knew what the hell was going on with Shogo, just one day having a realization "it sure has been a while since I've seen Jubilee's kid". They just need to throw him into the future for a while so he can come back as an actual character. It worked out for Cable and Hope, they're both normal people with no weird issues at all.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
apparently someone thought they should do that to jessica drew's kid too lol

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

ugh don't remind me

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

site posted:

Which is a shame because I genenrally like her book and vibe otherwise.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You do not, under any circumstances, gotta hand it to Bryan Wood but... that was a good idea.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Sephyr posted:

Which is a shame because I genenrally like her book and vibe otherwise.

I hate it slightly less now that her book is an ongoing but I reserve the right to go back to full hatred.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Diet Poison posted:

I just want to say I agree with the general vibe of the post.

The characters in Duggan's books are justified in their reaction because of the things that Duggan has had Xavier do over the past three months, but to me it's a pretty big bummer. I thought Hickman and Gillen did such a nice job portraying him in a nuanced fashion as someone who could fit as either an antagonist or protagonist for a story, and as someone who probably shouldn't be in charge despite good (sometimes) intentions. There was already enough there to justify people not following him anymore and taking him off the board for a bit. I feel like a broken record for typing this but like every Duggan issue is worse and annoys me more.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked caliban's perfectly reasonable reaction

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

quote:

Byrne complained, loudly, about what he called “Chris-shticks,” and Claremont certainly had trademark tics—rampant italicization for emphasis in dialogue, confident women, psychic bonds, and characters who always took vacations in the United Kingdom. There were also the endlessly reflective thought balloons and somber monologues. “Chris’ idea of a perfect issue of the X-Men,’ Byrne once said, “would be 22 pages of them walking around in the Village or at Scott’s apartment or something like that, where they sit around, out of costume, in jeans and t-shirts, and just talk.” Claremont, for his part, said that all he cared about was the emotional relationships. “To me,” he told an interviewer, “the fights are bullshit.” But at a time when so many superhero comics were devoid of personality, it was easy to cut some slack to someone who was investing so heavily in human interaction.*

All of this sounds great to me. I like this Claremont guy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i liked caliban's perfectly reasonable reaction

Same.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wow if only someone would write a comic like Bryne was talking about that'd be great.

someone has?

Wow.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Worked at my local shop for FCBD and ended up taking home the New X-Men omnibus for $20. Hell yeah, bub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Anyone else get the FCBD Blood Hunt/X-Men issue to see a preview of the new X era? I enjoyed it but suspect not everyone in this thread will. Grim start, the mansion being a prison was not what I expected. Wonder who else is stuck there beyond Siryn. The scene with Jubilee at the diner was great. Excited to see the relaunch now.