Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Good stuff folks, comics history, man comics are cool. And Cyclops is very underrated by the layman even when they do know who he is, as we know, you gotta touch a comic book to fully appreciate that gent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Yeah, I don't think Cyke got a single really good moment in any of the movies, did he? And he's pretty two-dimensional in the old cartoon too, those dimensions being "Gosh dangit Wolverine stop being so cool all the time" and "JEEEEEEAN!!!"

That's one thing I really hope for in the reboot, for Cyclops to be accurately portrayed as the wrong man to gently caress with, in addition to being a dork.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Soonmot posted:

Ellis did the Extremis arc, right? I thought that was well received.
I think it was well received in the abstract, but also was only six issues released across 18 months and then the book bounced around between the Knaufs or a single Knauf or Christos Gage or Stuart Moore or etc. for a couple of years before it petered out as a secondary book to Fraction/Larocca's new Iron Man series that coincided with the first movie. Compared to Brubaker Captain America or Bendis Avengers, it sold less/didn't last as long/came out slower/is generally less remembered.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

Yeah, I don't think Cyke got a single really good moment in any of the movies, did he? And he's pretty two-dimensional in the old cartoon too, those dimensions being "Gosh dangit Wolverine stop being so cool all the time" and "JEEEEEEAN!!!"

That's one thing I really hope for in the reboot, for Cyclops to be accurately portrayed as the wrong man to gently caress with, in addition to being a dork.

I hear that the new X-men '97 series has some strong 'Cyke was right' vibes included, but haven't watched yet to confirm.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

'97 has done a good job with him.

In TAS he did have at least one great moment I've never forgotten:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHJxJpRqqyo

But really it's just impossible for me to imagine someone knowing who the X-Men are without knowing Cyclops. He's the Leader in basically everything. You don't have to know much about him but Wolverine's thing (in popular perception) is being the renegade. He's a loose cannon on the edge! As such, he doesn't work without someone going "dammit Logan, turn in your badge!" That was more or les Cyke's role on TAS, although he was always a member of the team out there fighting so it kept him from coming off too much like the pencil pusher authority figure you hate in old action films.

Man, i loved TAS Sinister, though. '97 looks like hey're going with him as a major villain too, along with his personality from the cartoon. I can't wait.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sephyr posted:

I hear that the new X-men '97 series has some strong 'Cyke was right' vibes included, but haven't watched yet to confirm.

It's kinda up in the air right now. He has a really great moment in EP5 which looks like it might go there but you can also interpret it in other ways.

But one of the directors has openly admitted Cyke is one of his favorite characters and it shows.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I dig him in TAS, with the expectation of the aforementioned bit of a corny role he is in. And for sure he's done well in '97, great stuff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I really hope the comics start doing the thing '97 did where he uses the optic blasts as a movement ability.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

I really hope the comics start doing the thing '97 did where he uses the optic blasts as a movement ability.

He did that a couple times in the Claremont era.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I love Cyclops but I don’t think I could appreciate him until I read more comics as an adult. As a child Wolverine won me over.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Diet Poison posted:

His best moments in the first three movies are being the one to blast Magneto at the end of the first movie and a cool but short fight against some nameless goons in the second one. And then he's immediately taken down by Deathstrike and is pretty much out of the rest of the movie except to cry over Jean at the end. Marsden deserved so much better. And then of course he's killed off in the third out of spite because Marsden went to make Superman Returns, even though he said he could have done both movies.

I guess in the prequel films he's treated a little better, but he doesn't really get any standout moments. Even Dark Phoenix, which should have Cyclops as a major supporting character, has him take a backseat to Xavier and Magneto.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Edge & Christian posted:

the gap between 1992 and 2000 was more due to Batman & Robin bombing and everyone thinking superhero movies weren't tenable until Blade was a relative smash and people started thinking the market might bear a superhero movie or two.

I sort of love that for all the talk of Batman & Robin killing superhero movies and Blade resuscitating them, there's only about a year in between the two films.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

I think it was well received in the abstract, but also was only six issues released across 18 months and then the book bounced around between the Knaufs or a single Knauf or Christos Gage or Stuart Moore or etc. for a couple of years before it petered out as a secondary book to Fraction/Larocca's new Iron Man series that coincided with the first movie. Compared to Brubaker Captain America or Bendis Avengers, it sold less/didn't last as long/came out slower/is generally less remembered.

I really liked those Knauf books and thought they were better than Elliss which really didn't amount to much. A real good companion to Brubaker's work in Captain America which were uniformly excellent.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
It's been ages since I read a Captain America book. Any standouts to suggest?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

If you haven't read the Brubaker run, read the loving Brubaker run it's so good. I remember liking Coates' run too. The recent Lanzing and Kelly run, along with the sister Tochi Onyebuchi run also on Captain America (Sam Wilson version.) I'm even liking JMS' current run, to my pleasant surprise.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sephyr posted:

It's been ages since I read a Captain America book. Any standouts to suggest?

There's a short run released like 6 months after 9/11 that I think is very good and I think was planned on the fly because they were thinking of doing something different, and then 9/11 happened and they were like "okay, our whole plan for Captain America needs to change" It's the one where he actually publicly reveals his identity as Steve Rogers. I just mention it because I knew someone would have already recommended the Brubaker run before I could post. The original Secret Empire arc is also pretty good and ends with President Richard Nixon committing suicide in front of Captain America and that fucks up Steve so much he stops being Captain America for a while.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It goes on for ages but there's always Mark Gruenwald's run.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I always found it weird that Captain America ever had a secret identity. You'd think it would have been made public at some point in the decades he was 'dead'.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

The original Secret Empire arc is also pretty good and ends with President Richard Nixon committing suicide in front of Captain America and that fucks up Steve so much he stops being Captain America for a while.
This is a considerable step up from the Days of Future Past film deciding that the tense climax should for some reason revolve around our heroes' attempt to save Richard Nixon from assassination

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Angry Salami posted:

I always found it weird that Captain America ever had a secret identity. You'd think it would have been made public at some point in the decades he was 'dead'.

In universe it's because they had another guy take up the mantle for a while.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
OK now we know Xavier’s deal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, I'd read comics that had Captain America as a guest star before that and I didn't realize he had a secret identity, and then I mostly knew him from the Brubaker series and Bendis' New Avengers and that's post reveal so I thought it had been common knowledge in universe forever. And then I read the series I just mentioned and was like "wait? people didn't know." I bet it's the same kinda thing for people in their 20s or whatever who loved Iron Man as a little kid and go back and read old comics where he's pretending to be his own bodyguard.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think Scott's only slept with Jean Grey, Jean Grey's clone Madelyn Prior, and Emma Frost. But it's Gail Simone trying to stir up trouble.

https://x.com/GailSimone/status/1783187868565057833

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think there was tension between him and Betsy Braddock when she was in Kwannon's body? Basically the idea seems to be there's something about Scott Summers' brain that gets telepath gals all revved up.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

MonsterEnvy posted:

OK now we know Xavier’s deal.

Dudes gonna sacrifice the AI to become a Dominion then let himself be imprisoned i loving know it

He'll probably watch everything from in his little cell

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I think there was tension between him and Betsy Braddock when she was in Kwannon's body? Basically the idea seems to be there's something about Scott Summers' brain that gets telepath gals all revved up.

That still leaves like 4 more hot mutants he should have slept.

Oh right, I forgot he's probably slept with Wolverine (Logan) and maybe Wolverine (Laura) when he was brought to the present as a teenager. But still, doesn't equal 8.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Lee Forester and Colleen Wing are non-mutants he hooked up with. Also slept with Frenzy in Age of X. Did he get with vampire Storm before she died?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I'd read comics that had Captain America as a guest star before that and I didn't realize he had a secret identity, and then I mostly knew him from the Brubaker series and Bendis' New Avengers and that's post reveal so I thought it had been common knowledge in universe forever. And then I read the series I just mentioned and was like "wait? people didn't know." I bet it's the same kinda thing for people in their 20s or whatever who loved Iron Man as a little kid and go back and read old comics where he's pretending to be his own bodyguard.

I remember one story where everyone thought Iron Man had murdered Tony cause he was stuck in the armour, and couldn’t make public appearances, when he tried to reveal he was alive but sick and was leaving things in Iron Man’s care which made people think he was being blackmailed or something instead.

His reasons for the secret identity were also pretty weak, not wanting his company and employees to be targeted by Iron Man’s enemies, but I feel saying that Iron Man is one of your employees that is closely attached to you defeated the purpose of that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So why are the X-Men so tied up with magic? In the MCU TV thread somebody copy/pasted this

quote:

"In Marvel Comics, the Master Mold absorbed the systems of an immensely powerful Sentinel prototype from another universe: Nimrod. The resulting beast was far too powerful for the X-Men to defeat, causing them to force the entity through the Siege Perilous, a pan-dimensional portal that grants those who step through it a new life. Bastion emerged from this portal as Sebastion Gilberti, an ostensibly human version of the two sentinels, completely devoid of memory of the life that came before."

Siege Perilous is of course Arthurian myth like most things I saw in modern Excalibur and know from reading snippets like this over the years. And I'm just like...why? Why this long-time connection between the X-Men and what I think is the main Marvel magic superhero team, Excalibur? What caused these two very different things - a new race of people and Magic Britain - to be so intertwined?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So why are the X-Men so tied up with magic? In the MCU TV thread somebody copy/pasted this

Siege Perilous is of course Arthurian myth like most things I saw in modern Excalibur and know from reading snippets like this over the years. And I'm just like...why? Why this long-time connection between the X-Men and what I think is the main Marvel magic superhero team, Excalibur? What caused these two very different things - a new race of people and Magic Britain - to be so intertwined?

Betsy Braddock and Meghan?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

NikkolasKing posted:

Chris Claremont created Excalibur as a team and wrote it.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I've always assumed Excalibur was more X-Men/Mutant focused because Kitty Pryde is there and there's an 'X' in the title

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

AzureFlame posted:

I've always assumed Excalibur was more X-Men/Mutant focused because Kitty Pryde is there and there's an 'X' in the title

That's mostly correct. The just also deal with a lot of weird magic poo poo and alternate dimensions as well.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I remember seeing something about how Laura was now (in a technical sense) Wolverine's daughter and not his clone...

...But considering she would've had to have been tweaked in the first place to not turn identical to him, was labeling her as a clone in the first place just wrong? Is there some genetics taxonomy that I'm not getting here, or that the original writers didn't get?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They cloned the X chromosone so she's XX. Thats my reasoning :v

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

I remember seeing something about how Laura was now (in a technical sense) Wolverine's daughter and not his clone...

...But considering she would've had to have been tweaked in the first place to not turn identical to him, was labeling her as a clone in the first place just wrong? Is there some genetics taxonomy that I'm not getting here, or that the original writers didn't get?

It's funny I was just reading a thread about this a little bit ago
https://www.reddit.com/r/Marvel/comments/xvgwel/whos_between_gabby_and_daken/

quote:

No, a clone is considered a delayed identical twin, so genetically she should have been considered more like a sister of Logan than his daughter.

I get the argument that Tom Taylor makes. Genetically, a child is a (roughly 50-50) mixture of their mother and father's genes. Right from her origin as X-23, creators always said that Sarah Kinney had:

(1) used two copies of Logan's X chromosome to make X-23 a female clone

(2) filled in some gaps in Logan's genetic code with her own genes

So, using that origin, you could say that Laura was always Logan and Sarah's daughter, because she always had a mixture of both of their genes, even if that mixture wasn't 50-50. The problem is that typically a child has 23 chromosomes from their mother and 23 chromosomes from their father. All of Laura's chromosomes come from Logan. None of her chromosomes come from Sarah. At least not in her origin. So even if Sarah had to replace 50% of Logan's genes, I would still argue that Laura is more of a clone / sister than a daughter, because the chromosomes were all Logan. Maybe that's a nitpick, but that's how I feel.

You could retcon Laura's origin so that Sarah used Logan's X chromosome plus her own X chromosome. You could even retcon the origin so that Sarah contributed 23 chromosomes to Laura, but I think that's a VERY different origin. Sarah was trying to make a viable clone of Wolverine, and she had the very clever idea to make a female clone using two copies of his X chromosome, instead their very damaged copy of his Y-chromosome. I always thought that was very clever. If you retcon it so that Laura now has 23 of Sarah's chromosomes, then the story is that Sarah made a test tube baby with Logan's genes and tried to pass it off as a female clone of Wolverine. Sarah was ALWAYS a bit of a villain, she was always working to clone Wolverine against his will. But having Sarah create her own child with Logan against his will feels much worse to me. Much more stalkerish, more icky.

quote:

No, We didn't know that until later on around 2018.

It was originally stated that it was his DNA only and they created an artifical egg hosting it in a tube. They would search for a perfect candidate that could carry the fertilized egg to term

They chose Sarah and she would act as a Surrogate mother. (A surrogate mother does not pass on DNA to the child.)

What they didn't know, and that Sarah kept secret was the artificial egg was created with her own DNA.

She was told not to pursue her attempts at a female Weapon X. So she had to do everything by secret and couldn't get resources to create an artificial egg. So she had to use her own.

Edit:( About the Y chromosome. "The most effective and expeditious way to complete the strand is to lose the damaged X chromosome and duplicate the intact X.)

gently caress if I know anything about genetics nor have I read X-23's origins or the newer stuff by this Taylor fellow which supposedly changes everything.

EDIT:

Although in that New Mutants issue I was just reading I could swear they call Gabby a "clone of a clone." So I dunno if the writers even know what Laura is?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 24, 2024

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Excalibur - at least under Claremont and Davis - was basically Doctor Who by way of the X-Men.
Inferno was really more of the X-Men being super involved with magical nonsense.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A lot of the Arthurian stuff was imported from the Marvel UK Captain Britain books which included Psylocke, and, frankly, Claremont's a big ol' literature nerd, so he really went at it in Excalibur.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Plus there's the whole backstory for Marko, and Illyana, and the weird poo poo the X-Men saw in the Savage Land. Magic/mysticism and the X-Men have gone hand-in-hand for a long time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Excalibur - at least under Claremont and Davis - was basically Doctor Who by way of the X-Men.
Inferno was really more of the X-Men being super involved with magical nonsense.

There's even a paranormal investigation group in the Marvel UK called the Weird Happenings Organization. Kitty had a crush on one of their co-leaders, Alistaire Stuart, who was named for the Brigadier.