Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Yeah Xavier's behavior made more sense this Week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Anyone else notice Forget-Me-Not got resurrected in X-Men Forever #2?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Who's that

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I can't believe Exodus is now one of my favorite characters.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

NikkolasKing posted:

So why are the X-Men so tied up with magic?

I think it's more that magic is a big part of the Marvel Universe as a whole. There's some magic stuff in almost every character's history at this point.

X-Men has also been much more flexible with its genre over the years, particularly in the '80s, than many of the rest of Marvel's books. The classic years feature a couple of different space operas, a couple of horror stories, a five-issue arc where New York gets transformed into ancient sword-and-sandal barbarian times, and a long-running bad future that kept sending people back to interfere with what was then their present.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cyclops went and got into a fight with a cthulhu which was trapped on the school's grounds.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

okay this weeks Rise and Forever are really, really good

Caros
May 14, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

I can't believe Exodus is now one of my favorite characters.

Right?!

If there is one unexpected win from the Krakoa age, it is making me give a poo poo about characters I never did before.

I *hated* sinister in previous eras because he always just felt so one note. A mad scientist in an ocean of marvel mad scientists. Basically his only quirk was his weird Breeding kink with the summers family.

And Exodus? Who? That guy who hangs out with Magneto right? I think I beat him up in a game gear game in 1993.

The Exodus glow up in particular is wild, with how well he works off of hope. The commend about destiny making him laugh was must, mwah.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Honestly I'd recommend reading Children of the Atom all in one chunk. It works better (imo) if you read it as one story that just so happens to actually tie into the larger world of Krakoa at the verrrry end.

I'm at CotA right now, just finished first issue. Thought it was okay enough but I posted this pic

( because it felt like such an obvious callout of "Rightclops" what with both the dialogue and Logan going "hmph")

and was told it's the worst series in Reign of X by far. Just from a google, loosk like a lot of folks hated it.

I'll keep giving it a shot. Like I said, I thought first issue seemed alright.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 25, 2024

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Wanderer posted:

I think it's more that magic is a big part of the Marvel Universe as a whole. There's some magic stuff in almost every character's history at this point.

X-Men has also been much more flexible with its genre over the years, particularly in the '80s, than many of the rest of Marvel's books. The classic years feature a couple of different space operas, a couple of horror stories, a five-issue arc where New York gets transformed into ancient sword-and-sandal barbarian times, and a long-running bad future that kept sending people back to interfere with what was then their present.

I strongly suspect part of what allowed Claremont and Simonson to turn X-Men from a cancelled book into the most profitable IP Marvel had was the fact they saw "superhero" as less of a genre and more of a trope. Each of their four X-books had something unique to offer; X-Men was more or less classic superhero stuff, X-Force was similar but also had the soap opera and nostalgia angles, New Mutants was teen drama and angst, and Excalibur was, yeah, Doctor Who. Plus frequent tangential digressions into space opera and/or sword and sorcery nonsense and other genre things.

Assuming you were remotely into comic books in any capacity, I'm pretty sure there's at least one or two arcs from that era by those two that appeals to you.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm at CotA right now, just finished first issue. Thought it was okay enough but I posted this pic

( because it felt like such an obvious callout of "Rightclops" what with both the dialogue and Logan going "hmph")

and was told it's the worst series in Reign of X by far. Just from a google, loosk like a lot of folks hated it.

That panel is great all around, I really like how everything looks.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

GOD IS BED posted:

Anyone else notice Forget-Me-Not got resurrected in X-Men Forever #2?

Who?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

fallen angels was much worse

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

site posted:

Who's that

i love this thread

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Yes what do you want?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Joe Fisto posted:

Yes what do you want?

No no, we've decided to make a new bad guy, just for this arc

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You’re one shot villain with the A on his belt is never going to be as popular as the Owl, but go knock yourself out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I find it funny that Apocalypse is now going through his own Magneto arc.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm not too sure where Apocalypse is at as a character at the moment

When he came to Krakoa, it was because he believed that he had basically "won" in the sense of convincing mutants to consolidate power. But since then all the stuff with his pain in the rear end ex-wife, and the Arraki, it seems he's a little less gung ho about "Everybody should kill each other so we can see who wins"

Dude's never really had the most comprehensible M.O. (if survival of the fittest was all that really mattered, he should probably stop being a sore loser every time he gets his rear end kicked)

Personally, I'm looking forward to the return of Evan Sabahnur . Bet he's going to have thoughts about Apocalypse and Omega Red getting to enjoy tropical mutant sovereigty while he was off the table.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i don't know if i would say Omega Red was particularly enjoying himself most of the time

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not sure if the rest of the five went back to earth or not. hope obviously did not. krakoa came and went with no love for evan, unfortunately.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm not going to lie, I am a little salty about that, but I get it.

Tragic Wagon
Sep 9, 2021

Got what it takes

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm not too sure where Apocalypse is at as a character at the moment

When he came to Krakoa, it was because he believed that he had basically "won" in the sense of convincing mutants to consolidate power. But since then all the stuff with his pain in the rear end ex-wife, and the Arraki, it seems he's a little less gung ho about "Everybody should kill each other so we can see who wins"

Dude's never really had the most comprehensible M.O. (if survival of the fittest was all that really mattered, he should probably stop being a sore loser every time he gets his rear end kicked)

Personally, I'm looking forward to the return of Evan Sabahnur . Bet he's going to have thoughts about Apocalypse and Omega Red getting to enjoy tropical mutant sovereigty while he was off the table.

So I think the change to Apocalypse's motivations is meant to be that all this time he's been promoting survival of the fittest for mutants in order that they're eventually strong enough to go to Arakko and beat back the demons of Amenth. I can't actually be sure, because all the storytelling around Arakko/Amenth up to and including X of Swords is weirdly and unecessarily muddy, and after that Apocalypse isn't really around.

Evan would have fit in amazingly with Ayala's New Mutants run.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Tragic Wagon posted:

:agreed:

It's really a shame he's been forgotten throughout the entirety of the Krakoa era.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I think the general idea is that Evan doesn't work with the Apocalypse who was introduced in Krakoa. Evan is a counter to the genocidal Apocalypse and when the latter stops existing, how does former fit in?

I don't think that's the right direction (I like Evan) but that definitely seemed to be the motivation for him not being around.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm not sure if the rest of the five went back to earth or not. hope obviously did not. krakoa came and went with no love for evan, unfortunately.

Speaking of the Five, how many of them are still around? Like you said, Hope's status is known, but what about the other 4? I'm just wondering because I feel like for a status quo reset they have to do something about them to get rid of that whole conquering death thing. There wasn't anything special about Krakoa that was required for them to be doing that, right?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think Proteus was regularly burning himself out and they needed a fair bit of infrastructure, or at least storage, to keep making new eggs for him.

They also don't have the DNA databanks.

Other than that there's nothing wrong in theory with the idea of Egg continuing to do his thing

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
All five members of The Five were revealed to be in the White Hot Room in Immortal X-Men/X-Men Forever, and The Waiting Room appears to still exist to pull souls/mutants from. There's also a mention in this week's X-Men Forever that there are multiple cradles storing all of the back-ups/DNA samples and at least one of them survived and was used to resurrect everyone who died since the Hellfire Gala.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the five are all alive, but it is unclear if any of them went back to earth. i'm guessing they all stayed with hope. breaking them up would be a death sentence for either proteus or everyone around proteus, anyway.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tragic Wagon posted:

So I think the change to Apocalypse's motivations is meant to be that all this time he's been promoting survival of the fittest for mutants in order that they're eventually strong enough to go to Arakko and beat back the demons of Amenth. I can't actually be sure, because all the storytelling around Arakko/Amenth up to and including X of Swords is weirdly and unecessarily muddy, and after that Apocalypse isn't really around.

That was pretty clearly stated in X of Swords at one point. I should have taken the scan while reading it but yeah, I don't particularly care for that kind of retcon. It reminds me of Star Wars EU saying Palpatine or Thrawn were building the Galactic Empire to resist an invasion.

But overall, I really liked Apocalypse's character. He isn't repentant about what he's done - this talk with Angel from X of Sords Creation shows that pretty plainly:

But his was one of the paths Moira attempted. Apocalypse isn't an idiot or mindless evil like Sabretooth. I see no reason why he wouldn't be convinced by her proof of his way's failures just like Xavier and Magneto were. Same end goal, different methods, ones that might actually work.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the five are all alive, but it is unclear if any of them went back to earth. i'm guessing they all stayed with hope. breaking them up would be a death sentence for either proteus or everyone around proteus, anyway.

It appears all the X-Men who could fight went, so that would include the five. Hope stayed behind because she has to help with the Phoenix thing.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Missed the magic chat, but I still love that the first time we learn Wolverine's name is Logan is because a random leprechaun in Banshee's family castle just says it randomly.

While I agree that the Excalibur run was a bit muddled, I appreciate it's exploration of the cross-over between mutant powers and magic.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think the five might have stayed.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Man it's going to suck being a teenage mutant, I mean even more than usual. You spend the past few years being told it's your time, and you are special, and you are beyond the humans now. Teenage mutants going around getting themselves killed as a right of passage to show they've moved beyond death. Spending a ton of your formative years really baking all that propaganda in your head.....

.....and then in a blink of an eye it's over and you are back to being stomped out by racists. I imagine that's one of those plot hooks that won't really be followed up on, the total death of hope that would instill. The adults have been through a ton of poo poo that lead up to even attempting to come together for gently caress Island. They still have their entire life experiences before that to fall back on. There's a bunch of kids that just got thrown into "Morality isn't real and we are beyond consequences! Whoooo!" and are now having to go back to reality. It's one of the single most destructive things that could happen to them.....

.....you know, behind the "Being stomped out by racists" thing.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Not quite sure where you got "Morality isn't real," being a major aspect of Krakoan culture. Unless that was a typo for "mortality".

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

man those new mutants comics where they were getting killed literally by the busload were grim. I hope that this isn't a return to that sort of cheap drama but awful outcomes for anyone not famous enough.

like multiple young mutants got shot in the back of the head in a short amount of time.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I was reminded last night that Stacey X was taking care of abandoned babies that were the result of Law 3.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Codependent Poster posted:

Hope stayed behind because she has to help with the Phoenix thing.

With a glock.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

glitchwraith posted:

Not quite sure where you got "Morality isn't real," being a major aspect of Krakoan culture. Unless that was a typo for "mortality".

There was an entire bit where Kurt had to sit down and figure out a system of belief for the culture because people were just having babies and throwing them in the woods and generally just doing whatever they wanted. Because consequences aren't real, you know? You have people that can make infinite resources, and you are immortal, so what does anything really matter? One of the Orchis plans for destroying the island was "Do nothing", because they were on a path to destroying themselves through hedonistic disconnect.

And now they'll have to go back to school and get jobs and deal with a world that actually saw them declare themselves rulers of the solar system, only without any type of real back up now. All with the knowledge that the absolute most united and powerful they've ever been wasn't enough. It's kind of a bleak place to be in, mentally speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I guess Orchid won?