Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Getting a quote for a 6766 (what i have) BB CHRA. Wish me luck.

The CHRA is the single most expensive individual component of a turbocharger, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah it has the spinny bits and oil and coolant passages.

You can buy just the chra, or the chra with a compressor cover, or a complete turbo, and then turbine housings on their own with different flanges and a/rs. Also some aftermarket companies like atp turbo will take a chra and then have housings made to fit specific cars.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 23, 2021

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Getting a quote for a 6766 (what i have) BB CHRA. Wish me luck.

I skipped quite a few posts, just wanted to post this before I go back and reread. I'm not an expert by any means, but depending on which bearing you settle with it may require an oil restrictor which could possibly lead to heat or other issues? Maybe an oil cooler could help. And I'm pretty sure BB housings spin up a lot faster than journal bearings which may require a new or tweaked tuning. These were some of my thoughts when I was considering a bb chra in my shitzaru . Best of luck!

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a new CHRA ordered from Precision. I get it at cost so I don't think I'm allowed to say how much.

Munkeylord posted:

I skipped quite a few posts, just wanted to post this before I go back and reread. I'm not an expert by any means, but depending on which bearing you settle with it may require an oil restrictor which could possibly lead to heat or other issues? Maybe an oil cooler could help. And I'm pretty sure BB housings spin up a lot faster than journal bearings which may require a new or tweaked tuning. These were some of my thoughts when I was considering a bb chra in my shitzaru . Best of luck!

I have an oil pressure regulator instead of a restrictor, I installed it and havent put any pics up yet. hehe. But yes I have an oil cooler with fan.

The tune needs to be overhauled anyway since my fuel pump wasn't up to the task earlier. Hours flushed away, I was just starting to do full pulls when I noticed I had a pump issue.

I installed new seat covers. Took forever.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Will be adding remote start. Not with a remote start kit mind you, with radio controlled relays connected to the PDM for maximum safety and control.

I just spent 30 mins beating my head to get the PDM to do a turbo timer. Got it working. But if you nerds want to know what some of this poo poo looks like:

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 3, 2021

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Didn't realize that the forums auto scale images now. So if you can't see it right save that poo poo.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
That seems pretty reasonable, honestly. Like, yeah there's a lot of stuff there, but given what you can make the sucker do, that seems logically laid out.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks. I don't have any background in programming.
Just guidance with where I work, but I've hit a hard growth wall and have been looking elsewhere, out of the industry, but trying to convince hiring managers that motorsports stuff can translate over to things like PLCs or automation is like, impossible.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Just guidance with where I work, but I've hit a hard growth wall and have been looking elsewhere, out of the industry, but trying to convince hiring managers that motorsports stuff can translate over to things like PLCs or automation is like, impossible.

Did you want all of my course books on PLC's? I probably have all of my VM's with all of the various software still as well.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Aeka 2.0 posted:

That's got to be a lot more daunting then; kudos.

In fairness... like, looking at that, I haven't seen a PLC that's programmed like that. But it's ... I dunno, you know all the weird crap I'm doing? I feel like when I start explaining it to hiring managers, even if they understand what I'm talking about they think I'm full of poo poo.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
^^^
I know your project is balls deep. I need to catch up on your thread.

McTinkerson posted:

Did you want all of my course books on PLC's? I probably have all of my VM's with all of the various software still as well.

Yeah please. Give me a PM.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Aeka 2.0 posted:

^^^
I know your project is balls deep. I need to catch up on your thread.

I'm... going off on yet another tangent this week (actually a planned tangent though!) and should have more interesting stuff to post this weekend. And it's finally thawing out here which means I can take the trailer to get steel soon.

But yeah, I just hate getting-hired culture. Like, as you might imagine I don't fit into any convenient HR boxes; the fact that my whole career is basically about "quickly learning how to do something to solve a problem" doesn't count for anything when "oh, you don't already have this skill we want _right now_"

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Well the backing plate is bigger and won't fit my compressor housing. I told them I had a 4" inlet. I don't know if this is because the backing plate for the BB is different and thus the only option is bigger. The way they fasten is different so I can't swap them. So looks like I'll be hit for another 300 or so just for a new housing.

edit: ah okay I see where I hosed up. They asked me the inlet and outlet size, I thought when they said outlet they were talking about the exhaust housing when they were instead talking about the compressor's outlet. WHOOPS.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 6, 2021

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
God. DAMMIT.

It's the engine seals after all. Now I need to know what rebuild kit to go with. I've been out of the game. I only have about 1000-1200 dollars budgeted for the kit because I know I may need these plates machined.

Obviously I'd like to go with new seals, o rings, springs, and oil rings. I don't need gaskets, gently caress that. I roll The Right Stuff on everything.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've got you covered. Shoot me a PM.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Perfect time for a 20B.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Perfect time for a 20B.

This is the best answer.
*Cries into my pile of 20B parts that have sat for 5 years*

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Oh we have a 20b at work that has been sitting for over 10 years. Haha.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Maybe I’m opening a can of worms but why are they so difficult? My ten year plan includes an FD with a 20B. How bad is it?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Maybe I’m opening a can of worms but why are they so difficult? My ten year plan includes an FD with a 20B. How bad is it?

Give me a bit and I will update my spreadsheet showing the costs. Since tracking my own build, 20b prices have gone from $3500 to $5500 and now I’m seeing $8-10k for just the engine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Aeka 2.0 posted:

It's the engine seals after all.

That license plate is :perfect:

In a :smith: way in this case.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

STR posted:

That license plate is :perfect:

In a :smith: way in this case.

I knew it was going to serve me well.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
The kids are finally paying off

https://i.imgur.com/mISjGD4.mp4

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

:lol:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Pro dadding right there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
B+. That beer is empty, there's two kids, one of them could have been going to get you another beer or at least moved that full one closer.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
Never hoist an engine while beers. This is the right move

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Teardown
The oil pooled from the poo poo seal

gently caress:
The groove pretty much spells the end for these irons. I could resurface them, but then I run into another problem. Explained in the next few photos.

This is my porting, it started as a street port, and then I added the brow. Adding it later had me running into positioning issues.

Such so that I had to bevel the edge of my rotor housings for these to work:

Enhance:
You can see that the apex seal would slightly dip at this area, causing extra wear, and actually causing a dip in the irons with a little hill to climb out of. The hill being the vertical line. WHOOPS.

So I had a backup:

Tore it apart:

The housings are good. The side irons have an ever ever slight whiff of a fignernail grab in the same spot as the first pic, but much much much less severe. I think I can have a half a thou ground off of these, I think. And be good. I will have an expert look at it tomorrow. My co worker used to build a ton of these, in the thousands. so he should know something.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I spoke to our engine builder. Most of the markings and wear on my rotor housings are due to weak springs (chatter) and detonation. Yikes.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Working the replacement housings.

I'm using the pineapple racing template, I've made two markings, the inside line is the pineapple, the outside line is my decision to go bigger.

Just need to clean these up. I'm actually already finished, i just don't have pics.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Yay! :neckbeard:

More braps for everyone! Is the plan to use the best components from each engine?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

McTinkerson posted:

Yay! :neckbeard:

More braps for everyone! Is the plan to use the best components from each engine?

Absolutely.
I may lap and re nitrate the "bad" irons. One at a time as i get the money.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Took my old center iron and drilled two spots for my dowel pinning template/guide. I've been going back and forth on going through with it. One part is a bit thin before I ream it, and I can't ream it as its my template for drilling. I talked to my boss and he told me that the castings aren't the same, sometimes they are thin, others aren't, and it doesn't affect anything if they crack.

And like many I've talked to, dowling isn't as necessary as we thought. I may add a chamfer to the front iron on the area that is prone to cracking on detonation (this crack would be a bad one, not like the one from dowling), and then only add one dowel to the motor on the ignition side.

The thinner meat is the one without my finger.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
No turning back:

I don't think my depth is correct and I'll need to take a few more MM off with the reamer.

Bonus in the wild find:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Engine longblock is together, been moving slow. Hopefully I'll get a vid going.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Hey I found my old car!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That looks entirely too reliable to be a rotary.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Frikkin nerd up in my poo poo.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry for lack of content. I've been waiting on a turbo housing, the engine is in and starts.
I got a job at the big D theme park and I work nights now. Its been tough adjusting. But I've been the happiest I've ever been at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
You love the D. I expected you would.

Seriously: congrats