Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Sister abducted by aliens now I’m mad forever” is a plot beat killed to death by the X-files like 30 years ago. Can Apple ever do something original?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Escobarbarian posted:

Sugar spoilers

Is it still worth a watch now that I know the surprise?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Escobarbarian posted:

Wait how did Sugar have a sister if he’s an alien

She was also an alien, we saw her in the flashback. I assume we are meant to think that she was brought to earth in secret somehow.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

huh posted:

i would say yes, colin farrell is good enough to carry the show beyond the reveal

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

huh posted:

Yeah, I think so. I didn’t know what the surprise would be, but I only started watching the show because I knew it was something other than the trailer indicated.

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

Dark Matter’s acting might largely be sort of meh outside of Connelly and Simpson but the music is really on point. Excellent ambient that gets progressively more unsettling.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Not quoting that post from the previous page but goddamn I didn’t want that spoiled for me :-(

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
It’s totally worth watching regardless, it’s great noir with an unique visual style, or maybe I’m just clueless, have there been similar films/series that do the whole visual thing Sugar does? Idk how to even describe it, it’s like ADHD camera settings sometime

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the twist of Sugar and his friends being aliens ruins the show for me. I really enjoyed the noir detective part. It was a fun story and him figuring out all the clues was great. Then we get to the end and Bleep blorp, we are aliens, we are leaving forever soon. Here is the address that solves your case, we knew the entire time, also we knew that this guy was in on it. Noooo, why wouldn't you want to come back with us? It ruins/negates everything Sugar has done up to that point, and destroys what was a great show without the dumb parts.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

frogbs posted:

Not quoting that post from the previous page but goddamn I didn’t want that spoiled for me :-(

Me either, but I also assumed it was a joke until people responded.

But yeah dick move.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sorry gang. I honestly didn’t think anyone reading this thread didn’t already know that by now

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not bothered by it, just probably won't watch it now. Don't worry.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If you were the least bit curious about the show, I implore you still give it a shot. Vulture, a website I enjoy enough to PAY to subscribe to, spoiled the episode 6 reveal on its front page a week or two back, with a picture and everything, and that was right before I decided to resubscribe to Apple to binge the show leading up to the finale. Knowing the twist forced me to watch the show in a different way than I normally would have, searching for any clues, but I still enjoyed the heck out of it. It is in my Top Five shows of 2024 so far, and will certainly make my end of the year Top Ten.

Neo-noir is already my favorite genre, I'm obsessed with L.A. and its seamy, sordid strangeness, Colin Farrell has matured into a great actor, and even the score is amazing, from two musicians I love and follow and have seen perform live: Adrian Younge and Ali Shaheed Muhammad (formerly of A Tribe Called Quest), who did the Black Dynamite and Luke Cage soundtracks together.

We are currently watching Palm Royale (my wife's choice, after I chose Sugar). It's campy and soapy and not my thing at all, but she is enjoying it. Once we wrap that up, we'll switch to Dark Matter, which will hopefully be further along. Last time we had an Apple subscription, we tapped out of Ted Lasso an episode or two into the final season. I absolutely loved the first season, but it felt worse and worse as time went on. We also enjoyed Silo and loved Severance.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Seconding watching Sugar. The twist was spoiled before the show even came out. It's visually stunning and the cast put in solid performances.

More Neo-Noir please apple.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, Sugar is a good show that doesn't necessarily gain much from being coy about the main character being a drow. Frankly, knowing the specifics of the twist earlier might have been beneficial because it would have meant I wouldn't have been bracing myself for the possibility of the reveal being that it's all a loving simulation or whatever that would have fundamentally undercut the stakes of the story.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, Sugar is a good show that doesn't necessarily gain much from being coy about the main character being a drow. Frankly, knowing the specifics of the twist earlier might have been beneficial because it would have meant I wouldn't have been bracing myself for the possibility of the reveal being that it's all a loving simulation or whatever that would have fundamentally undercut the stakes of the story.

My dumb rear end thought it was going to be about Sugar having some rare reverse-diabetic body explaining his ability to process alcohol so well or some nonsense. I figured the group or org he worked for was some billionaire funded PI group that went around doing the ‘right’ thing, like some action version of the bill & Melinda gates foundation Thinking back the real twist makes much more sense :classiclol:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Seconding watching Sugar. The twist was spoiled before the show even came out. It's visually stunning and the cast put in solid performances.

More Neo-Noir please apple.

It being pitched as sci fi and having him not metabolise liquor properly in the first episode idk why people were like OMG SPOILERS.

But I respect it enough.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Cojawfee posted:

I think the twist of Sugar and his friends being aliens ruins the show for me. I really enjoyed the noir detective part. It was a fun story and him figuring out all the clues was great. Then we get to the end and Bleep blorp, we are aliens, we are leaving forever soon. Here is the address that solves your case, we knew the entire time, also we knew that this guy was in on it. Noooo, why wouldn't you want to come back with us? It ruins/negates everything Sugar has done up to that point, and destroys what was a great show without the dumb parts.

This is pretty much exactly where I landed. Can't think of something that turned me off of a show I was otherwise enjoying as completely at this did -- really just a twist for the sake of having a twist.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Here's tiny Alice Braga in those nice but very impractical high heels. And then they make her run. I see what you did there, Tim Apple.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Sugar the show thinks its so clever but it cant help itself with big dramatic reveals one after another. anything to try to secure that second season I guess

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do think Sugar does have a problem with two massive twists two episodes apart. The first one is at least mostly set up but the second kind of comes out of nowhere. Although it is kind of goofy to imagine the original version where both twists happened in the finale.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
This entire season of Sugar should have been a two-parter pilot establishing the concept, followed by Sugar solving a new mystery every week while simultaneously collecting clues to the whereabouts of his sister and the bad guy. It feels like a perfect setup for one of those types of shows, but we rarely get those any more.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We finished Palm Royale tonight, and I didn't like it at all, but I realize I am not the target audience. My wife was kinder, but it ended with a major cliffhanger and multiple unresolved plotlines, and I would be surprised if it gets a second season.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SimonChris posted:

This entire season of Sugar should have been a two-parter pilot establishing the concept, followed by Sugar solving a new mystery every week while simultaneously collecting clues to the whereabouts of his sister and the bad guy. It feels like a perfect setup for one of those types of shows, but we rarely get those any more.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't think that's a fair critique in this case.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah I don't think Sugar was surf dracula. it was a good show up until it wasn't.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Get ready to watch 2 stupid people being extra stupid in the intro for this week's episode of Dark Matter

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Scrotum Modem posted:

Get ready to watch 2 stupid people being extra stupid in the intro for this week's episode of Dark Matter

Amanda is very stupid for no reason but time filler. Just make a 35 min episode and have characters act like reasonable people??

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I haven’t watched past episode one, but one of my problems with the book was how characters acted/their decisions etc. The author adapted the show so I am not surprised by what I’m hearing.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Acapulco was great as always.

Big Box Show, ok.

Dark Matter, Can we have Schrodinger's cast, minus Jimmy Simpson, walk through the door to Black Hole Sun Earth?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Could I get some recommendations for some recs?

I've seen Ted lasso, one for mankind, the weird office show, and now sugar. Not really sure what else is worth watching before cancelling my subscription. Thanks!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Slow horses, drops of God, shrinking

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Could I get some recommendations for some recs?

I've seen Ted lasso, one for mankind, the weird office show, and now sugar. Not really sure what else is worth watching before cancelling my subscription. Thanks!

I assume the weird office show = Severance? If not, you should watch that.

Silo, Prehistoric Planet, Manhunt, Bad Sisters, Slow Horses, Little America

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 23, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
See, Last days of Ptolemy Grey, Lessons in Chemistry, Loot, Monarch. Shrinking is also pretty good.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Last days of Ptolemy Grey is my favorite show on there.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Dang those are a lot of good shows!

Maybe I'll cancel next month.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just “bought” a 3 month free trial for Apple TV from Best Buy dot com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Black Bird.