Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm midway through upgrading my PC; I've picked a new graphics card, and I'm looking for a new CPU that won't bottleneck it too badly. This is for gaming; while I'm not going past 1080p and 60fps for the moment, I really want to be able to turn things up. I'm in Australia, so everything sucks and is expensive; I'm willing to spend up to $500ish. What's my best option? I'd prefer not to replace the motherboard, but that's negotiable. Full details here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YGVNq3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I was thinking about maybe getting a new CPU, there's this deal on an Intel Core i5 9600KF I'm looking at. PCpartpicker marks it as incompatible with my motherboard, even though they're both LGA1151. What gives? Is the site wrong, or am I missing something? Here's the build.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Thanks for your help. I don't think I'll upgrade right now-- my current CPU seems good enough-- but I'll keep the Ryzen in mind.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Alright, I've decided I'm going to upgrade my CPU. Because the old one was an LGA1151, I also need to replace the motherboard. I'm in Australia.
PC Part Picker Page

So the only things I'm actually buying are a CPU, a motherboard, and a CPU cooler. For the CPU I'm going for a Ryzen 5 5600X (from this local place that seemingly has them in stock). Not really sure where to go with the mobo and fan; Part Picker has a list of options but I might as well use a dartboard. I'm not sure how Umart looks when viewed from overseas, but at my end the cost of the 5600 is $469AUD (about $350 USD). Anyway: what would you suggest?

edit: previous CPU was an Intel i5-6600

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 26, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Mu Zeta posted:

The MSI B550M Pro VDH Wifi is a good starter choice. It can handle pretty much any processor. It also has the USB flashback capability so you can update the BIOS without a cpu, which you'll probably need to do to run the 5600x.

Isn't that Micro-ATX? Am I looking at the right one?

sebmojo posted:

You will need new memory too, ddr4.

...is the current memory not DDR4?

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 26, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Thank you for all the handy advice, everyone. I've got an updated version here. Still the same CPU, went with Mu's suggestion for the motherboard, chose a cooler with decent reviews that's easy to get.

Anyway, I'm getting three warnings:

quote:

Warning! Some AMD B550 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.
Note: The Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard.
Note: Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.

From what I can find, the mounting thing is no big deal, just a normal thing with that brand of cooler, and the adaptor should be included with the fan anyway. The physical dimension restrictions note seems to come up for literally any build. The BIOS warning, so does that just mean I'll need to reinstall the OS?

Also, Seb+Bus, I feel like we're not talking about the same thing. I'm talking about the RAM, which is DDR4. What are you referring to?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Kazzah posted:

Thank you for all the handy advice, everyone. I've got an updated version here. Still the same CPU, went with Mu's suggestion for the motherboard, chose a cooler with decent reviews that's easy to get.

Anyway, I'm getting three warnings:

From what I can find, the mounting thing is no big deal, just a normal thing with that brand of cooler, and the adaptor should be included with the fan anyway. The physical dimension restrictions note seems to come up for literally any build. The BIOS warning, so does that just mean I'll need to reinstall the OS?

Also, Seb+Bus, I feel like we're not talking about the same thing. I'm talking about the RAM, which is DDR4. What are you referring to?

So anyway-- I take it these warnings are no big deal? Especially since I'm seeing the same ones on half the other builds on this page. Gonna click the button in about 12 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
edit: never mind, I can't read