Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
It'll just sink into the ground in less than 10 chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The entire world outside of Falconia has at this point been overrun by monsters so the Kushan capital should be no different? Unless they have a bunch of wizards able to use their powers to repel the invaders.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Ccs posted:

The entire world outside of Falconia has at this point been overrun by monsters so the Kushan capital should be no different? Unless they have a bunch of wizards able to use their powers to repel the invaders.

I mean, Kushan always seemed to be a cut above the rest when it came to weird magic bullshit. Their emperor was an apostle after all, and their second-in-command was neck-deep in eldritch arcane knowledge. Combine that with guys like Silat and it wouldn't be that surprising honestly if they were doing much better than your average Midland villager.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
After falling into a fear & hunger hole I decided to finally start reading berserk and I just wanted to share this wonderfully soulful piece of scalation.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

While funny, the official release has rips out so don't curse yourself with this shite.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

but did the scanlators draw dicks on the elves?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

junan_paalla posted:

After falling into a fear & hunger hole I decided to finally start reading berserk and I just wanted to share this wonderfully soulful piece of scalation.

It baffles me that any sites still use those old painfully bad scans.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Where does everyone stand on the continuation? Right after Miura died I made a few embarrassingly heartfelt posts about how I didn't think the work should continue unless Miura was really explicit that those were his wishes.

I'm pretty lukewarm about it now though. The art has been incredible and kudos to his assistants for that.

The story itself has been a bit eh in how it moves through the plot beats, but I mean, what else is to be expected - like the resolution of Elf Island felt very abrupt, and there was a lot of buildup with things like the wicker men that just didn't go anywhere, now all of a sudden we're in Kushan territory and Guts has been the sad swordsman for the last few chapters straight.

I don't really fault the continuation for that though, Miura is dead and it's obvious a lot of the underlying details went with him. It's unprecedented enough that the manga is continuing without him.

Sometimes little details do throw me for a loop like the huge, epic spread of Falconia from one of the last few chapters but lol wat now Falconia is a port city? I thought that was kind of funny.

Overall, it's obvious why it wouldn't be viable for marketing reasons but it seems like it would have been nice for this to be subtitled "Berserk: the illustrated outline of Miura's thoughts" and separated ever so slightly from the main work. It's nice to get an idea of where the plot was headed, but I hope it reaches a conclusion fairly quickly (20-30 chapters ish?)

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

My take on the continuation is: It's good, i'm happy to have more 'zerk, there is less rape and other weird poo poo so far so thats good, the art is very good, it moves faster than before and sticks to only the basic plot beats which is probably the best decision available given the circumstances, i'm happy to be able to see the ending, I think it honors Miura's legacy well, so yeah only positive vibes for it so far really.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

junan_paalla posted:

lmao

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Tosk posted:

Where does everyone stand on the continuation?
On the one hand I feel like Berserk was Miura's story, warts and all, and that story has concluded. On the other, I really want to see Griffith get his, and for Guts and Casca to have some closure, maybe even peace (wouldn't that be nice).

I respect Kouji Mori as the only person close enough to Miura to deliver on his notes, but my relationship with his authorship is largely utilitarian. I would have also preferred some kind of rough outline with a few illustrations and sketches, but Mori's efforts are serviceable insofar as they provide a potential outlet for Griffith gettin' got and the others getting by.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
The continuation is very poor Berserk, but still stands head and shoulders above most.

As a tribute, it's pointless if not outright mean-spirited to seriously critique it; might as well yell at a stranger for grieving wrong. I miss Miura's writing and ultra-competent paneling work, but, you know, he's dead.

I'm happy and eternally grateful that Miura's assistants and his closest friend get to bring us an ending.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Bisse posted:

but did the scanlators draw dicks on the elves?

I'll still think of this occasionally and wonder if it was real.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TBH, I wouldn’t have blamed them if they had decided to release whatever Miura’s notes or plans might have been in one big dump for fans to pore over, but getting an actual continuation is fine by me as well.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Most creatives are notoriously unorganized, I would not be surprised if there is no written plan for Berserk's plot and Miura just kept it all in his head and sometimes shared it orally.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Pretty much echoing all of this:

LordMune posted:

The continuation is very poor Berserk, but still stands head and shoulders above most.

As a tribute, it's pointless if not outright mean-spirited to seriously critique it; might as well yell at a stranger for grieving wrong. I miss Miura's writing and ultra-competent paneling work, but, you know, he's dead.

I'm happy and eternally grateful that Miura's assistants and his closest friend get to bring us an ending.

Nothing about the continuation or the situation surrounding it is perfect, and from a strictly critical perspective it is inferior to Miura's Berserk in almost every way possible. But that's not and has never been the point: this is the people who were closest to Miura collaborating to get his unfinished work over the finish line in a way as close to his known vision as possible, both as a means to grieve/honor him and to provide some measure of closure to fans. As such I understand and appreciate their efforts even realizing that all they can really produce is a crude facsimile of Miura's artistic master craft.

mycot posted:

Most creatives are notoriously unorganized, I would not be surprised if there is no written plan for Berserk's plot and Miura just kept it all in his head and sometimes shared it orally.

This is pretty much how I've taken Mori's comments regarding the continuation: that he and Miura were really close and over the years Miura told him enough about where he planned to take the series that it can be strung together into a coherent ending to the story that is faithful to at least what Miura's vision was at the time(s) he was sharing it with Mori. Will it be the same ending that Miura would have ultimately given us, even just in the broad strokes? Maybe not - artistic vision changes all the time and it's entirely possible what Miura shared with Mori would have eventually been reworked or flat out redone - but what we are getting now is the closest possible approximation to what still exists of a creative vision for Berserk Miura at one point held and was confident enough in to share with his friend.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This poo poo was just getting to the extra wild part (as though the entire run hasn't been wild af) and it would have been a drat shame to not see it in whatever fashion his closest collaborators could manage.

It's not quite the same, but it was never going to be, and that's okay. I still want to see where these characters go and Mori knows the path even if we get less steps and less glorious glorious multipage panels on the way.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'll take it a step further and go so far as to say that the imperfection makes it more beautiful. They knew they weren't going to create something perfect, but that perfect version of Berserk does not and cannot exist. Knowing that they've pressed on as best as they can to honor his legacy by finishing his life's work and fulfilling his vision to the best of their ability.

How easy would it have been to leave it unfinished and not risk "sullying" it with someone else's efforts? But they didn't think that's how he would have wanted it.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I think Berserk sans-Miura has been great thus far and I'm optimistic we'll be satisfied with the development. The art looks great, the emotion is visceral. My only issue has been pacing in what we've received and I'll reserve further judgment for when we get a solid philosophy of suffering and trauma laden chapter or two.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I had already accepted that the continuation was going to be pretty broad-strokes, so I'm pretty satisfied. I think Berserk was always going to be finished in some capacity, considering its popularity and profitability and I'm thankful it's being done by the people closest to him and not some random Seinen artist being told, "I dunno, just make an ending to Berserk. Do what you want"

Like Lord Mune said, this is a tribute

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder how long it'll take to finish this tribute.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

According to Mori the story is already in a place where it can end within 10 years, with 10 being the upper bound.

The source: https://mainichi.jp/articles/20230929/spp/000/006/010000c

quote:

Mr. Mori says that the story is ` it's already 'folding up'. It won't take another 10 years.''

That article also contains some interesting bits:

quote:

Berserk is a work that Mr. Mori has deep feelings for. Griffith, a former ally of the main character Guts who has become his nemesis, says, ``There may be scenes where I'm projected.'' The portrayal of the two's emotions, which are a mixture of friendship and rivalry, is partly based on their relationship with Mr. Miura. ``In the movie, there are some embarrassing lines that I said when I was a teenager, such as ``I'm going to create my own country,'' and he remembers them word for word,'' he says with a wry smile.

Also

quote:

There are only a few cases, such as ``Captain,'' where a manga was left unfinished due to the death of the author, but there are only a few cases where another manga artist has restarted it. In 1954, Eiichi Fukui, considered the originator of sports manga and whose ``Igaguri-kun'' was serialized in Adventure King (Akita Shoten), passed away suddenly at the age of 33. Mr. Asahi Arikawa took charge of writing from the following month. Furthermore, Akio Chiba ended ``Playball'' in 1978 and is said to have intended to restart it later, but he died in 1984 at the age of 41. Since 2017, Koji Jokura, who also worked on ``Grazeni,'' has been drawing a sequel at the request of the bereaved family.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm just here to see where it goes. And I want to see the dismay if it closes as a story about the journey of healing more than a vengeful climax splash panel following villain monologue. That'd just be fun to witness as the community of fans react.

I also feel like the art's starting to inch away from Miura's, but only barely and that's fine. Having even a mild stylistic shift would probably serve it better to mark the moment in time we entered fast forward to credits.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Andrigaar posted:

I'm just here to see where it goes. And I want to see the dismay if it closes as a story about the journey of healing more than a vengeful climax splash panel following villain monologue. That'd just be fun to witness as the community of fans react.

I hesitate to ask because I already know the likely answer but do you really think anyone who is still keeping up with new releases for Berserk legitimately still follows it solely for a sense of "gently caress yeah gore and badass fights, man" like they never got the memo? I can only speak for myself but more recent berserk chapters felt as much like Miura retrospectively commenting on his own early and kinda childish writing as it was Guts and crew trying to move beyond the violent past in-series. I feel like you'd need to have blinders on that never saw past the Golden Age to not notice the shift away from assumed badassery to a discussion on what that attitude costs someone in the end.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 17, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
To me one of Berserk's most incredible narrative feats is how seamlessly it created a through-line from the edgy, hyper-violent, oftentimes juvenile early writing to its later more thoughtful and introspective narrative. The story never attempts to disown all the poo poo that happened early in the story, rather it presents it at face value as context for why the characters who experienced it all are so thoroughly traumatized. Guts spends a long time being an edgy murder-hobo who single-mindedly slaughters apostles with a slasher smile, but eventually he has to confront the fact that none of it actually helped him process his trauma and - worse yet - was undertaken at the expense of Casca who he just left to rot with Rickert. His goal from then on is about trying to heal Casca's trauma, and through those means his own trauma as well, but it's a constant struggle because the desire to just immerse himself back into mindless revenge at every stumbling block is a pervasive and seductive temptation.

Speaking of Rickert, one of the little touches that I always loved is how while Guts is off being the black swordsman totally consumed by his revenge Rickert learns a trade, grows to take care of his new adoptive family as well as Casca, and finds a way to process his trauma by forging a sword for each and every member of the Hawks who was killed in the Eclipse. When he and Guts finally meet again among Rickert's graveyard of swords, it becomes abundantly clear that Rickert has grown to be the more mature of the two. Guts simply ran from and suppressed his trauma, while Rickert found a way to in some small way make his peace. Even when Berserk was in the throes of its hyperviolence, it never positioned it as a healthy or effective means of facing one's trauma, and always seems to end up hurting not only the ones killed, but the one doing the killing as well.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 17, 2023

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I hesitate to ask because I already know the likely answer but do you really think anyone who is still keeping up with new releases for Berserk legitimately still follows it solely for a sense of "gently caress yeah gore and badass fights, man" like they never got the memo? I can only speak for myself but more recent berserk chapters felt as much like Miura retrospectively commenting on his own early and kinda childish writing as it was Guts and crew trying to move beyond the violent past in-series. I feel like you'd need to have blinders on that never saw past the Golden Age to not notice the shift away from assumed badassery to a discussion on what that attitude costs someone in the end.

The world is in a bit of a pickle atm, I would have thought there would have to be conflict of some kind to get it back on course. I *would* be very frustrated if the story ended with Guts just finding his own inner peace whilst everyone else is being eaten by a hydra tbh

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Tosk posted:

Where does everyone stand on the continuation?

I'm happy it exists, I'm glad that the series will conclude, but the fact that Mori has sworn to not add anything other to the outline he had from Miura does mean that that Miura's absence is so palpable in every chapter I read. At every plot point, I'm wondering what Miura would've done to expand upon it and flesh it out, or if he would've changed his mind while working on it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
To expand on my earlier post, I wanna clarify: I'm not disparaging Mori's efforts (reading my own post back to myself one day after writing it, it reads a bit clinically). Mori and Miura had been best friends since high school, and it's clear this continuation is an act of love from one artist mourning another, processing that into something for us, the readers. I've never been in a position where I had to do something like that, so I don't wanna sound cold or aloof.

It isn't Berserk, but I also don't need it to be. It's a gesture from a friend of the departed to his former audience, and that's nice. No one could continue Berserk, but I'm glad someone's closing the door in a respectful way.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Does anyone know if the revived Berserk is going to get a manga release at any point? I read everything up to now in paperback and I've deliberately not read any of the new chapters yet to try and keep that going

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Artists like Miura are born, not made, and nobody should have expected the continuation to measure up. It’s just better than nothing, which we would have gotten before

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

No Dignity posted:

The world is in a bit of a pickle atm, I would have thought there would have to be conflict of some kind to get it back on course. I *would* be very frustrated if the story ended with Guts just finding his own inner peace whilst everyone else is being eaten by a hydra tbh

Okay but that's not really the same thing, though, is it? I don't see Berserk really ending with Guts saying "gently caress it" and hanging up his sword to live in peace while the world is still hosed. He's still got to confront Griffith again and end matters before that inner peace can be lived out. I was more talking about authorial intent on the depiction of violence and whether there's still readers rooting for Guts after decades because they want him to kill the douchebag and get his hot GF back and celebrate fountains of blood or if they're still reading because they want to see the story end with at least some people in a better place than they have been.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 17, 2023

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

No Dignity posted:

Does anyone know if the revived Berserk is going to get a manga release at any point? I read everything up to now in paperback and I've deliberately not read any of the new chapters yet to try and keep that going

Volume 42 which is all Mori and Studio Gaga is already out in Japan, presumably Dark Horse will bring it to English-speaking territories eventually.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
But does the perfidious anglo really deserve berserk

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1744570688827215905?t=FX_1dICSt_RdXtKCx0Doeg&s=19

Important.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

First Dorohedoro now this, what a great day

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

That’s clearly an HD-DVD case.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pre-orders for the bluray are up on Crunchy Store now.

Just got mine in, alongside Bocchi the Rock which as we all know is basically the same thing as Berserk anyways.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 15, 2024

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Raxivace posted:

Just got mine in, alongside Bocchi the Rock which as we all know is basically the same thing as Berserk anyways.

Both are about outsiders learning to be part of a group despite their emotional hang ups making them want to throw up walls, performing acts that make them uncomfortable to help this new group (child murder/hanging out with drunk hotties), the main character has no real aspirations but wants to help their first real friend achieve their dreams (nice country/nice live club) before everything culminates in something that was always inevitable (The Eclipse/A culture fest episode).

Give me a job, ANN.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I would have accepted "Both are about joining a Band" tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Preordered because I just know it will be just like Ippo where they sold out on their store immediately on release lol