Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Southpaugh posted:

The arts really gorgeous in this chapter. Like, more so again than it has been.

It's been on the up for a while but it really feels like he's gotten past the niggles he was having converting to digital art. Just something in the line quality specifically feels really nice again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Lost MF DOOM earlier this year (technically late last year but...) and now Miura and it hurts even more. With a musician there might be work left unreleased but the work out there is complete. With Miura, and any storyteller gone before their story has ended, the world is left with this explicit open-ended absence.

I would love to have seen Berserk finish, we all would have, but I understand the uncertainty of wanting to see notes or manuscripts as way of finishing this immense saga. On the one hand I'd love that little bit of closure but on the other... it wouldn't be Berserk.

An absolute giant of visual narrative who deserves to remembered for long after we're also gone. Went out and grabbed the first of the omnibus volumes just to make sure I had at least one.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Since we're sharing other people fanboying over Miura's incredible sense of design I'll throw in this;

https://bogleech.com/halloween/hall14-trollcaves.html

He goes page by page of the Qilpoth chapter talking about every little beastie there is, talking about the real world animals that possibly inspired them or just marvelling at the strange ideas. Each description is just a few sentences but it really shows the density of unique creatures Miura creates for just one or two panels.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

TheLoneStar posted:

Well, I mean I guess most of that stuff was kind of obvious anyway. Clearly Griffith's plans are gonna fall through.

On a more positive note, I like how there's a lot of realistic armor, but then also poo poo like fish knights and rhino knights. Just saw the Holy Rhino Purple Knights and it's just beautiful.

I wish I could remember where I read it but in an interview Miura talks about how important research and reference was for him but how difficult it was for him pre-internet. And some of the more ridiculous "no way that's real" poo poo he comes up with is often a straight copy of some actual armour (often display pieces meant to show craftmanship rather than be practical war gear but still...)

Big Poofy Sleeve Armour

Rooster Visor

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

On another note, do the deluxe editions have the coloured pages Miura did in some chapters? I've been giving the manga a look and the ones that he painted are in heavily-shaded black and white instead.

Black and White, I'm afraid.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Dear Manga Publishers (which I know several of the most prominent read this thread),

Please just commission far more series and slash the output rate you expect from artists! Give the people who make your magazines worthwhile some time to be human.

Or better yet, over throw the global system of Capitalism. One or the other would be fine! THANKS!

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

lezard_valeth posted:

When the King threw Griffith into the torture dungeon she could have done a lot more to help him, specially after finding that her father was a creeper, she had all the leverage. She could have threatened to starve or kill herself if he didn't release Griffith, or he could have attempted to expose her father's attempted rape to some of the other nobles.

Yeah, kid molested by powerful parent should have obviously seen it as a bargaining chip. She had all the leverage compared to the guy with a full court of supporters who would obviously turn against the guy who gives them power... She's the victim of sexual abuse and just had the guy she had fallen in love with snatched away and his men slaughtered. Not exactly events that build ones confidence, especially to use suicide threats or blackmail to get her way.

And the "she should have just surrendered or negotiated with Ganishka" is equally confusing though at least not blaming a victim of abuse for not confronting her abuser. We know for a start it wouldn't have worked and none of her advisors are going to make the case that they should give up their power (which they essentially get through her).

The only vaguely reasonable thing is not being more questioning of Griffith but his return also includes a bunch of clearly buck wild magical poo poo popping off. It's pretty reasonable to think your hot BF has miraculously recovered when the trip to meet him involved a giant fuzzy lion dude with batwings taking her for a flight on her bed.

It's fine to find her weak and kind of useless because she pretty much is but it's strange to act like it's her fault when she's been raised in relative isolation and to believe heavily in the power of her father and his divine right to rule and thus a sacred duty to defend her kingdom.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Given the situation it's obviously unreasonable to expect no detectable change and I'm glad fans are leaning mostly towards being accepting while still making perfectly fair critiques. Overall I like it and it's certainly making the effort but those neck muscles really do stand out, even from just an initial glace. If that's the most notable bit of awkwardness though than it's hard to complain. This must have been scary as hell for the crew to put out so well done them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Just got mine in, alongside Bocchi the Rock which as we all know is basically the same thing as Berserk anyways.

Both are about outsiders learning to be part of a group despite their emotional hang ups making them want to throw up walls, performing acts that make them uncomfortable to help this new group (child murder/hanging out with drunk hotties), the main character has no real aspirations but wants to help their first real friend achieve their dreams (nice country/nice live club) before everything culminates in something that was always inevitable (The Eclipse/A culture fest episode).

Give me a job, ANN.