Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
My feelings on Berserk are a bit complicated.

I loved the manga when I started it. And there's a reason there have been two anime adaptations of the Golden Age Arc - it's really good. The general sense of a dark, violent world is conveyed really well, and Guts as a protagonist is more than just a guy with a big sword.

On the other hand, I almost feel as though Muira has kind of... lost the plot?
I've read a bit over halfway through the mangas in one fairly big binge, and the tonal and thematic shifts are surprisingly rapid. We went from super (perhaps a bit too) edgy/dark fantasy to having a standard D&D adventuring party with a cute witch girl and a plucky young thief. Some characters, like Farnese, seem to change very radically from first introduction to where they are now, and not without the detailed character building that was evident during the Golden Age Arc.

I would say this has to do with Muira himself changing over the years. The slow schedule he keeps is actually a barrier to him keeping the tone consistent. He might no longer want to write a story that is quite so dark and melancholy as the one he started. But reading them back-to-back, the shift seems noticeable.

I could be wrong. He might just be setting up this sense of normality in order to kill off all the characters to underscore how everything sucks for Guts and how this cruel world has bad things happen to good people. But until that happens, it doesn't quite feel like the same story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU