Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I don’t have much to add to this thread but I’m reading this manga for the first time (never watched any of the anime, just got in because of Guts’ theme, influence on Dark Souls, and a friend’s tattoo). I’m on volume 8 right now and it’s looking to be a top five manga I’ve ever read. The story is really good and the art is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’m in the middle of volume 10 and I love Guts and Caska’s relationship. I know this won’t end well and it sucks. I want these broken people to be happy :(.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

This loving sucks. gently caress.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I am still making my way through the golden age arc. This news has motivated me to finish, obviously.

Before this I had been reading This Immortal by Roger Zelazny, which I had picked up because of a reference in Berserk. In honor of our fallen mangaka I will finish both.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I finished reading the golden age arc today for the first time, somehow staying unspoiled on what was gonna happen, and holy smokes. Epic, evil, awe inspiring. Having read those notes on his grueling work schedule, it’s hard not to read the sacrifice of Griffith to Miura’s own life. My god what a spectacle though.

Did DIO ever read Berserk?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

E: wrong thread.

This is the worst snipe of my life.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 21, 2021

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

A conversation with a friend.

A: Miura’s no longer with us. You should read Berserk.
B: Good idea. Isn’t there an anime? I’ll watch the anime first. I’m really busy.
A: I’d highly suggest you read it instead. The art is incredible.
B: I’m actually quite busy, so no. Dubbed anime.
A: If you really don’t have time to read it, just hold off until you do. You’re making a bad choice.
B: Dubbed anime.

*sigh*

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

TheLoneStar posted:

And now the landscape and sky is faces. Really didn't expect that.

Lol

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

These bug people are so freaky. Some of these Berserk monsters have shown up in my dreams, whether I want them to or not. Really effective.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the opening pub scene in the Korgoth of Barbaria pilot rips off the scene where we’re first introduced to Guts’ ginormous sword. I think they steal the sex-with-a-lady-but-it’s-a-demon gag too.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I preordered this God Hand tank top and maybe you guys would want in on these Berserk shirts.

https://flowerchainz.us

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is there official confirmation that Griffith/Femto’s helmet is at least partially inspired by Phantom of the Paradise?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’ve begun the Millennium arc. Even after everything it feels like the art just got kicked up a notch again. And all these fights one after another are so well done. This giant fella with the flame throwing shield looks so sick. And I’m loving the development of Zodd. The Guts vs Zodd fight was...that Pacha meme.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Still reading through my first time but the everything from defending the village from the trolls to the acquisition of the Berserker armor is some of the best stuff I’ve ever read/seen.

Guts willing to offload his tasks onto other people has shown a really great growth for him as a character. Farneze taking care of Caska to help her grow is beautifully handled. Serpico is a cool dark horse character with a lot of potential, Schierke is such a wonderful addition to the cast too. It was great to see the boy get some responsibility and Skull Knight is such a loving awesome character. This is maybe the best manga I’ve ever read.

It’s hard to encompass everything I appreciate about the manga so far, there’s just so much well executed craft on display that it’s overwhelming to talk about what I think it succeeds at. I’m going to be heartbroken when this is over.

Edit: also holy poo poo how can I forget Schnozz

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 14, 2021

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The ending is as perfect as it is, all things considered. There was a surprising amount of closure and the continuing plot from there can pretty much be inferred. I really hope this next chapter is just a memorial to an incredible artist and doesn’t touch the actual story.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

They should have blurbs next to each character to say what happened to them, like the ending of American Graffiti.

I am still of the opinion that this should be the final chapter. The assistants should take advantage of their platform working on this legendary series to promote their own solo projects. Miura was setting themselves up for financial independence and this should be the time to take advantage of that.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Translations, please?!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Warning to everyone, there link from earlier in the thread is 17 pages when there are supposed to be 28 pages with better translations.

Go read those extra pages if you haven’t!!!

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 10, 2021

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

Just finished reading the final chapter of Berserk. It prominently featured a nude baby, which is the most unsurprising thing ever. Glad Kentaro Miura is dead.

Spencer Elden, welcome.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

No mention of the NYT full page spread?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I assume this means it’s just collecting the final volume of chapters we’ve already seen, and I’m also assuming that this image is done by the assistants.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Official word is there are no plans to continue at this time.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I think it will eventually feel right. It’s not like it’s being taken over by Disney. It’s clear this will be a very personal project still. My first impulse was tension and discomfort, but after a little reflection, we know this is a story about overcoming insurmountable pressures. Taking these continued issues as an artistic pursuit in itself, is it not appropriate to support the man’s struggle to do right by his long time friend?

Edit: If his team pulls this off it will be such a beautiful thing.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 7, 2022

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I told myself I was gonna get a good work out before every new chapter if it ever came back so I gotta hit the weights.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The story feels true, the art obviously isn’t as sharp as it would presumably be under Miura but I think we all figured that. It will get better and I believe in the team.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What da Zodd doin

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

This Griffith guy…

He’s not my kinda guy.

Also I suppose he’s canonically dickless in his god form

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 7, 2022

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Fairy island is our behelit sacrifice for continuing the story.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

As far as we know, they’re mostly working off of conversations remembered through Mori and Miura’s relationship. I’m sure it’s all written down now but it’s unlikely they’re working off of anything Miura drew at this point.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Aw man. This one really hurts.

Edit: I STILL BELIEVE IN YOU GUTS.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 8, 2022

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I have a Lost Children Arc question: I’ve picked up Deluxe 6 after a short break from the last volume so forgive me if it was established earlier, but to whom did the behelit belong to, the one Skull Knight pulled from the burned out tree in the misty valley and swallowed?

Also regarding the newest chapter We definitely saw all of Puck’s cousins snapped away. I can only assume Puck left with them.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’m just glad my favorite babe Morda is safe.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing much happened.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I feel like lady fivehead got her noggin nerfed.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

How long was that stupid timer counting down for again?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’ve never heard of this guidebook. What makes it dreadful?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I see…two new chapters? Both labeled 372?

One about Caska and the other about Griffith

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I only saw the one chapter focused on Casca.

Well check this out:

https://mangaclash.com/manga/berserk/chapter-372/

Here is what I’m assuming is the actual 372 chapter:

https://readberserk.com/chapter/berserk-chapter-372/

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I think the art continues to improve. I think Casca feeling the heroic urge to return to the crew is a satisfying development.

The story continues to feel like somebody sitting on the fast forward button for these reboot chapters. But that’s okay, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Preorders are open for a reasonably priced Zodd. Looks epic.

https://store.crunchyroll.com/products/berserk-zodd-large-pop-up-parade-figure-4545784043677.html