Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

This chapter was so good. I love the aesthetic of the old God Hand. I think that Skull Knight probably has been killing them and they've been reincarnated as the current members over the course of the millennium since Void's Eclipse (given the 216 year cycle) but a part of me also wonders if they aren't the same individuals in a different form. The exaggerated Conrad-like mask and the sex-themed one could be a Slan analogue.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

So I read this theory the other day after finishing my first reread of Berserk since Rickert slapped Griffith or the sea god arc or something (and discovered that the first time I read was already well over a decade ago)

I found it fascinating and it pretty much explained a lot of what's been going on for me. Also that the God Hand are trying to eliminate the creatures of the astral realm because the Idea of Evil's power is over humanity specifically.

Finally, interesting easter egg:

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I honestly think it would look pretty cool if they'd gone with a design other than "brain jelly" for the base

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

A post a couple pages back someone mentioned that humans were being herded towards Falconia for a mass sacrifice. That's an interesting thought. I personally think they're systematically exterminating all the other magical creatures of the land because the Idea of Evil behind the God Hand specifically has power over humanity, and wants to solidify its rule by making humans the only beings on Earth. I feel like we'll progress into magic slowly dying and the world becoming "mundane" towards the end of the manga (this is just me feeling like it's relatively foreshadowed as some kind of fantasy Earth, but I could be totally off my rocker there). I read this theory as presented by someone on a Berserk fansite who definitely thinks way more about the manga than I ever will and utterly convinced me with his argument.

There was some good stuff in there too about Puck's behelit not being foreshadowed to trigger a sacrifice, but to somehow cut it off from the form of "causality" that the God Hand control (because of this idea that the IoE is a mainly human phenomenon and elves seem to dwell outside its influence).

I just hope whatever Miura has planned is satisfying, or hell, that at least he finishes it before he dies.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I've been reading Berserk for so long now that when someone texted me about Miura's death this morning, I was in shock for awhile. The outpouring of grief throughout the communities that discussed Berserk across the Internet is heart-wrenching.

I'm probably in the minority, but the very last chapter feels like a decent point in the narrative for a conclusion. A cruel conclusion that gives us no answers or an end to the central conflict of the manga, but far better than if the last panel were a goofy smile from the mermaid or an Isidro/Puck gag.

RIP Miura, RIP Berserk. It was a long struggle and it's finally at its end.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

After Kentaro Miura died I wrote a really heartfelt post here, in hindsight a little cringe but Berserk was pretty important during my formative years so I was pretty sad about his death. Enough stuff has accumulated to convince me that Miura was a bit disturbed and had some extremely concerning takes on stuff like shota/lolicon being illegalized to go with art that becomes extremely concerning in that light in his other manga, and in Berserk as well, and I don't feel the same way anymore so I memoryholed it.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 4, 2023

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

"best result" might be Christopher Tolkien but that was also a very different medium in a very different industry and literally the man's son who had probably been immersed in Tolkien's work for his entire life.

Berserk just isn't the same situation and I can't really see it panning out that way. I don't think ghostwriting is even a thing in the world of manga. The closest I can think of was Togashi's wife offering to draw HxH and that never even happened (I think)

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Viridiant posted:

It's obvious what needs to happen.

Tosk, have fun writing the rest of Berserk.

I gave it a shot and I removed it from this post because the world is not ready.

If it ends on a puck gag, let it be him using the behelit

Tosk fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 12, 2021

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

There shouldn't be any continuation and it is okay it ended like this. This needs to be the end now.

Considering the death of the author, we couldn't hope for more, however bitter it is.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I feel like the people saying "well worst case scenario you can just ignore the continuation if it's bad!!" are completely missing the point about why some people don't want Berserk to continue.

Sidenote: apparently the issue of Young Animal includes a comic by Kouji Mori, mangaka who wrote Holyland and apparently a close friend (former assistant?) of Miura, about his thoughts on Miura's death. Hope we get to see it eventually

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Slightly Absurd posted:

I must admit, I really don't get your point, since you don't elaborate on it. Nobody's forcing you to read the chapters that come out after Miura died.

Sorry! I think that there's something to be said for the integrity of letting Miura's work die with him. It isn't all about the fans, in my opinion, and if he didn't leave anything that expressly conveyed that he wanted the manga to be carried on by his assistants, then it shouldn't be, and whether or not people want more Berserk shouldn't really have anything to do with that.

Edit: but like the poster above me said, his assistants probably have a better grasp on that situation than anyone here. That said, from what I read on the skull knight forums where all the diehard Berserk fans dwell, the end of this chapter didn't have the "to be continued" but rather "おわり" which apparently is just "the end."

Tosk fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 10, 2021

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

That post is slightly embarrassing in hindsight and I probably shouldn't have gotten so emotional about a manga and posted about it on these forums, but oh well! I guess following Berserk for the better part of two decades was worth it anyway.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

The typesetting was really top notch. Great work from the Evil Genius team over all these years. I can't imagine what it must feel like to see the end of a project like scanlating Berserk, so congratulations to everyone there (especially if one of the team members might see this!) for a really incredible achievement! Your release is easily on par with the Dark Horse translations and possibly better. I hope you all feel good about the work you've done and the enjoyment you've brought to so many fans across the world.

Just for the record, because at least one poster above seems to have misconstrued the argument as "Kentaro Miura is dead so Berserk must die," that at least wasn't the point I intended to make. I just meant that "what the fans want" should be completely immaterial next to the wishes of the people actually making the art (Miura and his team), for this or any other artistic undertaking. I agree that if a continuation does happen, it probably won't be a heartless cash grab, but I also agree with the points made by other posts that, as far as endings we could have gotten considering the sudden death of the author, this has to be one of the best imaginable. Sorry if I riled anyone up when I posted before!

Heartbreaking to see the end of that journey after so long, but a really beautiful ending in my opinion!

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I posted in this very thread shortly after Miura died about how bad of an idea I thought continuing Berserk would be, but this is definitely the best case scenario for that happening. I think Kouji Mori is a competent mangaka and with Miura's team behind him has a real chance of succeeding.

I wish them luck. I'm sure he knows better than any of us what Miura would have wanted, so props to Kouji Mori for being willing to put in the effort to see his friend's life work reach its conclusion.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I thought the art was fine, but it was a bit sparse content-wise. Could have been worse. Perhaps we will be blessed with a more regular release schedule now though.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Brutal chapter. I also found it a bit hard to follow and I didn't quite understand if the magical beings have died or just disappeared from the material plane or what, hope the next chapter offers some clarification. If something happens to Puck... :(

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

That's about the last nail in the coffin for being able to recommend Berserk to people, which is unfortunate, because despite its creator's severe character flaws it is definitely an amazing work of art.

If we got some kind of apology statement or acknowledgment by Young Animal, Kouji Mori or even Miura's assistants it would go a long way, but that is extremely unlikely to ever happen

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Despite the minor dip in the art's quality, ironically Berserk has kind of benefited from Miura's passing because it actually releases at a semi-reasonable pace now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Where does everyone stand on the continuation? Right after Miura died I made a few embarrassingly heartfelt posts about how I didn't think the work should continue unless Miura was really explicit that those were his wishes.

I'm pretty lukewarm about it now though. The art has been incredible and kudos to his assistants for that.

The story itself has been a bit eh in how it moves through the plot beats, but I mean, what else is to be expected - like the resolution of Elf Island felt very abrupt, and there was a lot of buildup with things like the wicker men that just didn't go anywhere, now all of a sudden we're in Kushan territory and Guts has been the sad swordsman for the last few chapters straight.

I don't really fault the continuation for that though, Miura is dead and it's obvious a lot of the underlying details went with him. It's unprecedented enough that the manga is continuing without him.

Sometimes little details do throw me for a loop like the huge, epic spread of Falconia from one of the last few chapters but lol wat now Falconia is a port city? I thought that was kind of funny.

Overall, it's obvious why it wouldn't be viable for marketing reasons but it seems like it would have been nice for this to be subtitled "Berserk: the illustrated outline of Miura's thoughts" and separated ever so slightly from the main work. It's nice to get an idea of where the plot was headed, but I hope it reaches a conclusion fairly quickly (20-30 chapters ish?)