Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

There’s a discord for arknights because I guess that’s easier than making a thread: https://discord.gg/H6QJWCR

This game looks pretty good, gameplay-wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

MonsieurChoc posted:

I couldn’t get into it because leveling your characters was slow and boring.

Yeah it depends on what you're looking for. I'd find it annoying if it were a competitive PvP game, but you level fast enough to not have to grind by doing the various bits of story, so I haven't really noticed the slow leveling. What I have noticed is that there is like 500 hours of various bits of story content if you read it all.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Arknights global unlocks at 11:30pm for me :negative:

apple orchard of dreams
Jun 18, 2001
Mobius Final Fantasy is shutting down. Dates: March 31, 2020 (JP) and Jun 30, 2020 (GL)

I only played it casually so not that upset but it is a little sad all the same.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CompeAnansi posted:

Yeah it depends on what you're looking for. I'd find it annoying if it were a competitive PvP game, but you level fast enough to not have to grind by doing the various bits of story, so I haven't really noticed the slow leveling. What I have noticed is that there is like 500 hours of various bits of story content if you read it all.

I couldn,t keep up with the story and had to go back to slowly grind to get to the level expected for the enxt story part and it was annoying grind not mindless grind. :shrug:

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Arknights global unlocks at 11:30pm for me :negative:

3AM local for me. I'll just assume that the servers will spontaneously combust at launch, and wake up to a working game instead.

https://twitter.com/ArknightsEN/status/1217636933754486784

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm mostly wondering why they're launching on Thursday, I guess so they can pick up bugs on Friday? Still, it's a working day for me :negative:

At least the main menu music slaps, and the UI is pretty sleek.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

What concerns me more is launching the game several days before the company staff goes on holidays for Chinese New Year. Hope there's no major breakages/exploits.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
There a thread for it yet?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

New Leaf posted:

There a thread for it yet?

Nah. We need a goon with initiative to make that happen. Alas, they seem few and far between.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I just don't know enough about it to try, and I tend to flit between gachas like a butterfly (other than GFL).

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I'm working on making an Arknights thread now, although I forgot to take screenshots while I was in the beta so they'll have to be put in later.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Arknights thread is up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911296

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
any thread for Symphogear XDUnlimited International Release?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pyronic posted:

any thread for Symphogear XDUnlimited International Release?

I've seen Kingdom Hearts game titles that sound more legible than that.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Bruceski posted:

I've seen Kingdom Hearts game titles that sound more legible than that.

its just Symphogear XDU, i guess I didn't need to capitalize the International Release.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Pre-registering has started for Romancing SaGa Re;Universe, but only on Android.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i33Q0cCOhdQ

Stll hype.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dragon Quest of the Stars is out.

I guess its been out in JPN for 5 (???) years and just launched global?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Seven deadly sins: grand cross seems pretty fun so far if you guys haven't tried it yet.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

CompeAnansi posted:

Seven deadly sins: grand cross seems pretty fun so far if you guys haven't tried it yet.

it's the best gacha game i've ever played

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Phyresis posted:

it's the best gacha game i've ever played

What's so great about it?

If I don't know the show, will I have any idea what's going on? I keep meaning to watch it and get distracted.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

New Leaf posted:

If I don't know the show, will I have any idea what's going on? I keep meaning to watch it and get distracted.

It seems to be one of those games that shows you the show. I played for a couple of hours and I think I got two actual fights between the tutorials and cutscenes.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

New Leaf posted:

Full disclosure: I actively dislike the show. Season 1 was pretty good and then it dropped off a loving cliff. From what I hear, this is a problem stemming from the source manga. The IP is actually a negative for me. I really, really wish it had a different wrapper; DBZ, Naruto, fuckin' anything else that's not Creepy. I skip every cutscene because I've already seen it, but I do acknowledge that they are extremely high quality and super polished. Just like the rest of the game. This is an actual modern gacha game for 2020 (yes, I know it came out last year in Korea and Japan.) Everything just make sense. The menu nesting still has remnants of that "Korean mobile game" feel to it and they hold your hand through a few tutorials but other than that it's fine. I would say that there are three main things that really make this one stand out for me:

1. The polish and the graphics. This is a very pretty game, and every aspect of it is super polished. The systems just make sense; it feels like the developers actually play the game, if you know what I mean. I've been very frustrated with my main gachas for months now because the developers just seem clueless about many aspects of their own products.

2. The gameplay. This is the deepest turn-based JRPG system I've seen in a gacha. I can't explain the whole combat system here but basically you're dealt a hand of cards that are drawn from a pool that is generated by the three units on your team, and you play up to three a turn. The cards are attacks, heals, counters, defensive abilities, etc. and you can combine them to make them more powerful. It's really interesting, but you can also Auto through trivial content, so you aren't forced to galaxy brain every single fight.

3. The monetization and gacha system. Unlike most gacha publishers, who are still just trying to hook whales, Netmarble seems to have figured out that there is a whole range of spenders out there and are fishing for minnows and dolphins. It is one of the most free-to-play-friendly gachas I've played recently. You get over 350 pulls worth of currency a month, which is more than Dragalia Lost (which, coincidentally, has recently started becoming stingier and also, split the two new SSR units that used to be on a single banner off into two separate banners :argh:). Gacha units become available on rotation in a free currency shop and JP players have consistently said that you will basically pull every 5* unit eventually because of the generosity. Most of the top tier units are obtained in this free currency shop or from just playing through the campaign. Hell, one of the weekly login bonuses is a frickin' free random SSR ticket! That's pretty drat generous. You get a free SSR a week, just for logging in. If you do want to spend a little, 11-pulls can cost as little as $4, which is well below the industry standard. Paid currency and free currency have no differentiation at all, they are the same thing.

I had more stuff to say about it but I forgot, and I'm busy playing right this minute. Suffice to say, this game has greatly raised the bar for what I expect from a gacha game in 2020. Other publishers, y'all better be paying attention to this poo poo. I can see why it's so huge in Korea and Japan right now.

I might make a thread or something

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 4, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you make a thread link it. I’ve downloaded the game but haven’t dug into it yet.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'm digging it so far but I'm barely in, game is still holding my hand. Might need to actually watch the show at some point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Brown Dust is officially becoming Brave Nine today.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Brown Dust is officially becoming Brave Nine today.

Epic Seven
Seven Deadly Sins
Shadow Seven
Seven Knights
Seven Guardians
Gate Six
Soul Seeker: Six Knights
Venus Eleven (huh, thought I'd seen more Elevens)
Brave Nine
Brave Frontier
Brave Exvius
Brave Legends
Brave Fighter
Brave Knight
Brave Guardians

Yes... clearly this rebranding will help them stand out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bruceski posted:

Epic Seven
Seven Deadly Sins
Shadow Seven
Seven Knights
Seven Guardians
Gate Six
Soul Seeker: Six Knights
Venus Eleven (huh, thought I'd seen more Elevens)
Brave Nine
Brave Frontier
Brave Exvius
Brave Legends
Brave Fighter
Brave Knight
Brave Guardians

Yes... clearly this rebranding will help them stand out.

Yea, Gatchagames don't have very broad naming conventions.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Phyresis posted:

If you do want to spend a little, 11-pulls can cost as little as $4, which is well below the industry standard. Paid currency and free currency have no differentiation at all, they are the same thing.

What math are you doing to come up with this number? Its 30 gems to do an 11 pull and 30 gems = 23.99 in the store.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

What math are you doing to come up with this number? Its 30 gems to do an 11 pull and 30 gems = 23.99 in the store.

30 gems gets you an 11 pull. If you wrote 11 out by hand it would look like || , which could be the Roman numeral for 2. Therefore:

|| = 2

Now, math was never my strong suit but I seem to remember you can cancel out numbers on either side of an equation, so:

2 : $23.99

So therefore:

30 gems for $3.99

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

MarcusSA posted:

there's a weekly pack of 59 gems for $7.99

who the hell buys raw currency besides clown whales

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Phyresis posted:

there's a weekly pack of 59 gems for $7.99

who the hell buys raw currency besides clown whales

Ok I found it.

I mean I guess it works out cheap for your first 2-3 pulls but after that it ramps up to $23.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

MarcusSA posted:

Ok I found it.

I mean I guess it works out cheap for your first 2-3 pulls but after that it ramps up to $23.

It's weekly, so you can keep buying that same package every week. If you're a low spender, you wouldn't really need to go beyond that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I meant to ask, is there any goons playing Brown Dust/Brave Nine?

Because they're in the game!

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

I'm really enjoying Seven Deadly Sins. It's crazy how good it looks and runs. Absolutely destroys my phone's battery though. There's a lot of content and my main issue with the game right now is how fast stamina regenerates. My broke brain can't handle letting stamina be capped, but i can't be playing a phone game all day.

It's also amazing watching /r/gachagaming tear itself apart about the ads. They're fine with the in app purchases, but letting a 30 second ad play is too much I guess.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is 7deadly sins a gear collector like epic seven? Where you're spanking gear stages constantly for certain combinations of stats for certain characters?

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

Zotix posted:

Is 7deadly sins a gear collector like epic seven? Where you're spanking gear stages constantly for certain combinations of stats for certain characters?
It does have a similar gear system with sets and substats as you enhance the gear, but it's not nearly the RNG hellscape to get decent gear that Epic Seven is.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Presteign posted:

I'm really enjoying Seven Deadly Sins. It's crazy how good it looks and runs. Absolutely destroys my phone's battery though. There's a lot of content and my main issue with the game right now is how fast stamina regenerates. My broke brain can't handle letting stamina be capped, but i can't be playing a phone game all day.

It's also amazing watching /r/gachagaming tear itself apart about the ads. They're fine with the in app purchases, but letting a 30 second ad play is too much I guess.

The ads are also ENTIRELY SKIPPABLE. They don't jump in the middle of gameplay, you just don't have to trigger them.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
It's been solid so far, lots of systems to manage but nothing super overwhelming and I needed a change-up from Dragalia. There seems to be a lot of events going on but I'm focusing on the main quests for now, they're a good way to get your core cast up to UR level.

Phyresis, make that thread son. Or don't we can just keep making GBS threads up the gacha thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I’m enjoying it but yeah it kills my battery! I loaded it up on bluestacks and it runs pretty good though.

I dropped a few bucks (under 10) and have two SSRs now so that should carry me for quite a while.