Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Wow I'm glad this subforum and thread exists. I've been around the forum mostly lurking since college and have been craving a place where I can both be queer and talk about wrestling, and what do you know. Much like...all my friends, the pandemic definitely helped me figure out my queerness in both sexuality and gender, and after some deeply complicated personal experiences that threw me out of wrestling for years (both as a worker and as a fan) I got bitten by the bug all over again in the run up to Mania, sticking around mostly thanks to Wrestle Universe and AEW Revolution. It's nice to be back into something that meant so much to me once upon a time, with my only regret being that I was so deeply closeted when I was a worker. But hey, I hear good things about being queer in your 30s, so here's hoping for a bright and colorful future.

Greetings, we're happy to have you and it's wonderful to hear that you feel welcome here. :gaysper:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Welcome friend yeehaw

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Being queer in your 30's rocks

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Also thanks for reviving this thread

Forbidden Door is happening during Pride Weekend :o

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/AchillesF6/status/1658165273814237185
Excited to go some shows in Vegas (well GCW is kind of imploding right now so hopefully they can make it through the next week, and then right after going to the Hoodslam show)

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

HOODSLAM is an amazing time

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ARMBAR A COP posted:

HOODSLAM is an amazing time
Yeah it's just this show is starting right after GCW at midnight Vegas time and going to end at 2:30 AM so I'm going to be beyond levels of exhaustion since that is 6:30 AM for me internally

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Wow I'm glad this subforum and thread exists. I've been around the forum mostly lurking since college and have been craving a place where I can both be queer and talk about wrestling, and what do you know. Much like...all my friends, the pandemic definitely helped me figure out my queerness in both sexuality and gender, and after some deeply complicated personal experiences that threw me out of wrestling for years (both as a worker and as a fan) I got bitten by the bug all over again in the run up to Mania, sticking around mostly thanks to Wrestle Universe and AEW Revolution. It's nice to be back into something that meant so much to me once upon a time, with my only regret being that I was so deeply closeted when I was a worker. But hey, I hear good things about being queer in your 30s, so here's hoping for a bright and colorful future.

Welcome welcome!

ARMBAR A COP posted:

I wish I had known this and come out to myself much sooner + when I still lived in a big city.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Can Confirm, would love to go to Forbidden Door but pride week means hotels are approximately ten kajillion dollars.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

LionYeti posted:

Can Confirm, would love to go to Forbidden Door but pride week means hotels are approximately ten kajillion dollars.

Being Queer in your 40s also rocks, because you've hopefully reached a point where you can handle a hit like that and enjoy your things. (Similar to how I was able to do Eurovision this year, although my fun savings are GONE for a bit.)

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

every pride that's ever happened has a contingent of 30-something newly minted babygays, it's a time honored tradition, I'm glad you were able to self reflect and find yourself and hope you have a great time being a big ol queer with the rest of us.

in other news apparently effy used to be even hotter

https://twitter.com/EFFYlives/status/1658639816504778753?t=6YOE7AHc7yNmMFOs2xKkmg&s=19

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I found a room on Air Bnb for 150 total. 20 minutes away from the arena

I fly outta Vancouver ar 10 pm and get to Toronto at 5 am agh

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Did y'all get to meet Effy?

Na, I grabbed a quick picture with Commander Sterling and then had to rush off for a 3 hour drive home

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

ARMBAR A COP posted:

I found a room on Air Bnb for 150 total. 20 minutes away from the arena

I fly outta Vancouver ar 10 pm and get to Toronto at 5 am agh

I actually like red eye flights because they're so much less crowded, as a certified Very Big Guy™️ I'll take any extra space I can get on a plane

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/AchillesF6/status/1660007549293195264 I think I'm going to steal the bit from Jawwny and just Zandig pose for most things especially wrestling shows lol

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

it took just about all I had in me but the garden is all set, the soil is looking tremendously better this year after my modifications and the 2 year plan of Operation Expensive Strawberries is paying off big time

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

ARMBAR A COP posted:

its pretty kickass I won't lie

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/jaidroxide/status/1662857633647452162?t=XaI9HNUr54yWf3XNDD55MA&s=19

I kissed Randy and he gave me his pearl necklace

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, I'm jealous as hell that rules

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

If this is the kinda poo poo happening at wrestling shows lately, I gotta get out to more wrestling shows

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

He asked for consent first and everything

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

ARMBAR A COP posted:

He asked for consent first and everything

we do love a gentleman out here

java
May 7, 2005

Hello thread! I grew up watching WWF wrestling in the 90s and have recently gotten an itch to dip a toe back in, particularly after hearing about Parrow, and also seeing a bunch of Ripley Rhea gif sets. But I am actually finding the prospect a bit daunting in terms of the volume of content. Can anyone recommend a good starting point for a complete newbie?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

java posted:

Hello thread! I grew up watching WWF wrestling in the 90s and have recently gotten an itch to dip a toe back in, particularly after hearing about Parrow, and also seeing a bunch of Ripley Rhea gif sets. But I am actually finding the prospect a bit daunting in terms of the volume of content. Can anyone recommend a good starting point for a complete newbie?

Welcome!

You should be able to start watching any of the main shows, and the announcers will provide any of the necessary context. Is there anything in particular that you are looking for?

I'd recommend this Wednesday with AEW Dynamite as it's their 200th show, so I expect it will be a good one. AEW is building to two events/PPVs on Aug 27 and Sep 3, so the next month should be a lot of fun.

For queer-focused content, there's Enjoy Wrestling on YouTube and the upcoming Effy's Big Gay Brunch on Sep 2 on Fite. I know others here are regular attendees for Enjoy, so they can provide more context.

But really, dive in and :justpost:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

java posted:

So just to clarify, are you looking for a general starting point for wrestling in 2023, or do you specifically want to watch matches by queer wrestlers? Either way, I recommend watching every match that Kenny Omega's wrestled this year so far. That should get you up to snuff with the main event scene in AEW at least, and it gives you a few other places to jump off if you think 'ooh, I want to see more of such-and-such'.

If you only watch one match tho? Anarchy In The Arena from Double Or Nothing this year. It's not just a great match, it's absolutely loving crazy in the best way.

java
May 7, 2005

Pinwiz11 posted:

Welcome!

You should be able to start watching any of the main shows, and the announcers will provide any of the necessary context. Is there anything in particular that you are looking for?

I'd recommend this Wednesday with AEW Dynamite as it's their 200th show, so I expect it will be a good one. AEW is building to two events/PPVs on Aug 27 and Sep 3, so the next month should be a lot of fun.

For queer-focused content, there's Enjoy Wrestling on YouTube and the upcoming Effy's Big Gay Brunch on Sep 2 on Fite. I know others here are regular attendees for Enjoy, so they can provide more context.

But really, dive in and :justpost:

Venomous posted:

So just to clarify, are you looking for a general starting point for wrestling in 2023, or do you specifically want to watch matches by queer wrestlers? Either way, I recommend watching every match that Kenny Omega's wrestled this year so far. That should get you up to snuff with the main event scene in AEW at least, and it gives you a few other places to jump off if you think 'ooh, I want to see more of such-and-such'.

If you only watch one match tho? Anarchy In The Arena from Double Or Nothing this year. It's not just a great match, it's absolutely loving crazy in the best way.

I think what I am looking for is a general starting point for wrestling in 2023, with an eye towards queer friendly themes, matches, or just kind of being LGBTQ friendly! AEW didn't seem to exist (I don't think?) back when I'd watched wrestling years ago, and part of what I'm trying to get my head around is just the (seemingly, to me) more options for specific companies and the large growth of the indie wrestling scene. I'll absolutely try to catch AEW's show and will check out Enjoy Wrestling.

Thank you both for these suggestions! These feel like good starting points.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Yeah, AEW is only about four years old. It doesn't offer much in terms of queer themes but it does feature a few out and proud competitors. Arguably the most notable among them would be Nyla Rose (a trans woman and the company's second women's world title holder) and Anthony Bowens (a former tag team champion who confirmed his sexuality on a recent episode of Rampage and got huge cheers for it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd3x2Bg7bxk&t=231s). Gavok was kind enough to put together a comprehensive primer thread on the promotion as a whole for those interested in learning about its history, ongoing storylines and main players.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4035230

Rhea is awesome but you might not get a lot of recommendations regarding her as she wrestles for WWE, which most folks here don't watch. She's their reigning women's world champion and typically wrestles on Monday Night RAW if you'd like to see more of her. In any case, welcome! We're always happy to see new faces, if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to post them here or in the wrestling questions thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898193).

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

java posted:

I think what I am looking for is a general starting point for wrestling in 2023, with an eye towards queer friendly themes, matches, or just kind of being LGBTQ friendly! AEW didn't seem to exist (I don't think?) back when I'd watched wrestling years ago, and part of what I'm trying to get my head around is just the (seemingly, to me) more options for specific companies and the large growth of the indie wrestling scene. I'll absolutely try to catch AEW's show and will check out Enjoy Wrestling.

Thank you both for these suggestions! These feel like good starting points.

theres multiple years of Daddy Effy's Big Gay Brunch that you can go buy and watch right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm3pgP1WL8k

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'd also like to point you towards Kidd Bandit - one of my favorite wrestlers on the indies

https://twitter.com/kiddbanditpro

https://twitter.com/kiddbanditpro/status/1551246427522707456?lang=en

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Shard posted:

I'd also like to point you towards Kidd Bandit - one of my favorite wrestlers on the indies

We all love the one true protagonist of pro wrestling!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yeah recommend Enjoy as a frequent attendee of their shows and friends with the talent and owners at this point. Probably the best atmosphere to be in as a queer fan, even moreso than Effy's Big Gay Brunch imo

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Queer Salutations posted:

We all love the one true protagonist of pro wrestling!

Who is due for a match with the Polyantagonist, Commander Stephanie Sterling on the 26th for True Grit Wrestling. They're planning to put it up on Youtube after.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/AchillesF6/status/1710993276541550970?t=uoGZxoQGbahwylQnQToC-A&s=19
Really happy got to chat with Dark Sheik during intermission. One of the coolest people in wrestling and really down to earth.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/AchillesF6/status/1710993276541550970?t=uoGZxoQGbahwylQnQToC-A&s=19
Really happy got to chat with Dark Sheik during intermission. One of the coolest people in wrestling and really down to earth.

I still gotta watch Hoodslam, too much good wrestling

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I still gotta watch Hoodslam, too much good wrestling
If you ever have the chance go to a show live it's great!

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I went to one of their Halloween shows and got fake blood all over me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

ARMBAR A COP posted:

I went to one of their Halloween shows and got fake blood all over me

I already want to go you don't have to sell it to me