Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Seams posted:

but Eric SOLD for the BIRD
For context:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYMrjQCO1Pw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vandar posted:

Honestly, I was fine with the run-ins. It was a nostalgia match between two guys from the 90s representing two different companies. Turning it into an NWO vs. DX spectacle was fine.

But there was no loving reason why he should have lost! Basic loving booking and good business sense would have told you to let Sting win! But noooo, we have to get Vince's ego and HHH's ego involved and ARGH.

I hate it so much, I really do.

Yeah I actually loved the match for being an over-the-top ridiculous WCW-style clusterfuck but I also just assumed/expected that Sting was going to win it and then just randomly HHH does for no reason and no gain and goddammit.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Spikegal posted:

It has to be the blood money stuff. It poisoned the well for me to the point of it wwe was the only wrestling left in the world I would just stop watching wrestling

This was my limit as well

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
There's been a looot of bad poo poo, but yeah, WWE doing propaganda shows for a literal genocidal autocracy has to take the loving cake.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The ultimate resolution of Bryan/Authority was proof that WWE was creatively bankrupt.
Saudi Blood money was proof that WWE was...calling it 'morally bankrupt' is underselling it frankly.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

extradite THIS! posted:

Wrong thread

If there's anything good about WWE in the last few years it's the novelty belts (WEED BELT, FIEND BELT, that hilarious Undertaker belt)

Naomi's glowing belt also was very good

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

This is one of the reasons I hate Jim Duggan and his idiot face. He sucked complete poo poo but carrying a flag kept him any kind of relevant way past his expiration date.

no but you see he's a very intelligent man

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

The Shithead Capitalist Kazuchika Okada going over The Badass Anarchist Tetsuya Naito at WK12 was The Worst. All so they could put the title on some weeaboo who had a lovely title reign and couldn't even sell out Sumo Hall smdh

seriously tho I'm going with the NY64 I runner-up, the Oil Rumble, because that entire thing was a loving catastrophic propaganda piece house show that didn't do anything for anyone

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Auritech posted:

She's not even anymore, she quit the Small Business Administration when it was clear that the McMahons were funneling money to the Trump Foundation as its sole major outside donor
Linda left the Cabinet so that she could run The America First Action PAC for the 2020 campaign, which was initially just a landing pad for Trump staffers who had to resign for talking too much about how Nazis weren't that bad and that Obama was a Kenyan-born Muslim sleeper agent. It got bad enough that big corporations refused to donate to America First, so they sent Linda over to it to be the respectable face of the PAC so Dow Chemical wouldn't feel dirty associating with it.

She is literally a Big Trump Fundraiser now, like that's her job.

quote:

In addition to focusing on fundraising for the 2020 presidential reelect, Mrs. McMahon will be engaged in policy advocacy, communications, and rallying the support of millions of grassroots activists across the country. She also serves as chair of the board for America First Policies.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

While they've done way way worse things morally my least favorite thing was the 2015 Royal Rumble match. I have never hated a match more and the Rumble is usually my favorite

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Fish Of Doom posted:

I think that was 2011, so that's definitely the winner.

Yep, that settles that. That was pretty easy!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Vince Russo getting TNA thrown off of Spike TV happened this decade right? That was a pretty big wrestle-crime even if TNA is/was garbage. Caused a lot of harm to workers and employees that did.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

there's so many good TNA moments to list. Victory Road 2011 is probably my favorite bc it was my first TNA PPV, they had a #1 contender's match end in a draw and instead of throwing together some quick replacement, Jeff Hardy somehow makes his way out instead. i remember watching it live and thinking i'd never seen anything like it before. truly remarkable. real bummed out that Dixie's state of the address to the roster happened in 2009 because that'd be a close second.

WWE probably takes the cake for all of their horrible poo poo throughout the years. the Saudi Arabia poo poo (tho we did get Roddy vs. Daniel Bryan chopping the poo poo out of each other once and that ruled), Hulk Hogan being allowed by, painting Ultimate Warrior like he wasn't a massive piece of poo poo, WWE desperately trying to one up NJPW and AEW by having shows on the same days as them, being rumored to buy ROH to put them out of their misery and never actually doing it, completely killing the drive of several wrestlers and then refusing to work with them or release them, their Be A Star campaign, refusing to die

bad times at wwe

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

WWE just stacking up Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic awards from The Observer is one of my favorite things to read when that time of year comes around. Literally the only thing that kept them from having a clean sweep in the 10's is Kimbo vs Dada5000 happening.

Edit: poo poo, they would be undefeated this century if TNA hadn't brought in Pacman Jones lol.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

mkay0 posted:

Or, cant miss people from NXT who just got no sustained, compelling creative - Zayn, Sasha, Bayley, Finn, Owens, Ricochet, Aliester, etc

This is ultimately what soured me on NXT, just knowing that it was the end of the line once they were called up. Cancelled my network sub shortly after WM34 and haven't looked back.

At least one person has brought it up, but using Reid's death to further an angle was really loving awful and deserves more attention.

Also want to mention a few other things I hated from this decade:
- Alexa/Bayley kendo stick match that completely killed the latter's chances at being a huge star
- "This is Phil Brooks talking to Paul Levesque"
- NJPW using the Gracies for a bit in 2014
- The loving neverending Yano/Suzuki feud from the same timeframe
- Ambrose losing first to a hologram and then to an exploding monitor
- UFC loving over their fighters with the Reebok deal
- The Mir/Crocop fight, which I attended in person and made me much more sad than mad

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

(itches back of head for uncomfortably long amount of time)

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Michael Cole.
Shelly Martinez vs. Rebel.
The Diva's Revolution terrible thrown together trios.
Stardust.
Jim Cornette.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
UFC did so much shady poo poo this decade I stopped watching an entire sport, so kudos to them for that.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Punch McLightning posted:

UFC did so much shady poo poo this decade I stopped watching an entire sport, so kudos to them for that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

TheKingslayer posted:

WWE just stacking up Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic awards from The Observer is one of my favorite things to read when that time of year comes around. Literally the only thing that kept them from having a clean sweep in the 10's is Kimbo vs Dada5000 happening.

Edit: poo poo, they would be undefeated this century if TNA hadn't brought in Pacman Jones lol.
2007 is a trip because #1 is Pacman Jones, and then the entire Chris Benoit thing split the votes:

1. TNA Signing Pacman Jones/Making it Rain - 317 pts.
2. Vince McMahon's death (which was right before the Benoit murder/suicide)
3. WWE's entire handling of post-Benoit re: Steroids
4. Hornswoggle as Vince's illegitimate son
5. Great Khali as World Champion
6. WWE doing Benoit tribute show

Kimbo/Dada barely squeaked by Lesnar concussing the gently caress out of Orton

1. BELLATOR KIMBO VS. DADA 500 FIGHT 198
2. WWE Brock Lesnar doing hardway to Randy Orton 176
3. Aldo Ross (Adam Rose) mug shot T-shirt 46
4. Lucha Underground Intergender matches 39
5. Rizin booking Gabi Garcia vs. Shinobu Kandori 38
6. TNA treatment of Billy Corgan 21
7. WWE redoing Montreal screw job with Natalya and Bret Hart 18
7. Sasha Banks fake retirement playing off Daniel Bryan 18
9. Rizin booking Kazushi Sakuraba in fights 14

Looking through the early days of the Awards, there are some weird runners-up for Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic
"Cyndi Lauper and David Wolfe's involvement in wrestling"
"Mr. T wrestling"
"Rock & Wrestling Promotion"
"Usage of Celebrities at Wrestlemania"
"Elizabeth shedding her skirt at Summerslam"
"Gobbledy Gooker"
"Hulk Hogan title of Immortal"
"WCW Pushes Erik Watts"
"Papa Shango Voodoo Angle"
"WCW Mini Video with Exploding Boat"
"Jay Leno wrestling"
"WCW David Flair push"
"FMW Fart Explosion Angle"
"Endless Push of Shane and Stephanie"
"HHH Push"

Mostly exploiting tragedies/actually doing terrible things win, but I love the idea of "well there are racist/misogynist/homophobic angles, rapes, assaults, people dying, but WHY IS JAY LENO ON MY WRESTLING" being something someone (J*m C*rn*tte?) looks at as the most disgusting thing that could happen all year. Also why isn't the internet giving me all of the details of the FART EXPLOSION ANGLE???

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Punch McLightning posted:

:same:

wasn't even a year ago they moved AN ENTIRE SHOW to another state on like a week's notice because Nevada wouldn't let Bones fight

and I was an obsessive MMA fan at the start of the decade

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

my personal interest in ufc pretty much plummeted the moment they started openly commission shopping.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Fauxhawk Express posted:

:same:

wasn't even a year ago they moved AN ENTIRE SHOW to another state on like a week's notice because Nevada wouldn't let Bones fight

and I was an obsessive MMA fan at the start of the decade

Yeah same here. Even before the ESPN deal started my willingness to give them money was gone.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

My interest in MMA started to die around a year into the Fox deal when there just shows every loving weekend and the roster was far too big and full of nonentities, but it was more just a gradual death by a thousand cuts: pisspoor conditions for the fighters while the company made more & more cash, the calibre of the judging routinely being below dogshit and the general state of the commissions and the rubbish nature of the Unified Rules & so on. The constant making GBS threads on men's Flyweight despite for years it being dominated by one of the most incredible fighters in the sport. Just a whole lot to help sour on it all.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

watched Fighting In The Age Of Loneliness last week, and in the last part they go into detail about how UFC hosed over their fighters and their fans this decade because:

• their deal with Fox meant they had to drastically increase their amount of events per year, meaning they had to fill their roster with hundreds of folks on terrible deals who'd take home about $28000 per year at best
  • their standardised uniforms meant fighters on individual sponsorship deals were p much given massive pay cuts, which will gently caress them over post-retirement
  • their garbage drug testing policy, which just seems so loving stupid when you consider that fighters are legitimately putting their bodies on the line for up to 25 minutes at a time and steroids are kinda good at helping the best fighters recover from horrible injuries I will fully admit I am coming to from a place of ignorance but holy gently caress it seems like they ballsed it up

added to which you have Dana White's overt Trump support, and yeah, UFC seems super anti-labour these days

Venomous fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 1, 2019

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

FART EXPLOSION ANGLE???

I don't know what year that's from but it might be the Anal Explosion Match that was used in the Hayabusa/Mr Gannosuke angle. Basically the loser had to have a lit firecracker stuck between their rear end cheeks. Hayabusa (as his alter ego H) lost that one.

The same feud also had Hayabusa's gimmick stolen by his opponent and one of the worst Shawn Michaels promos ever recorded.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

Mostly exploiting tragedies/actually doing terrible things win, but I love the idea of "well there are racist/misogynist/homophobic angles, rapes, assaults, people dying, but WHY IS JAY LENO ON MY WRESTLING" being something someone (J*m C*rn*tte?) looks at as the most disgusting thing that could happen all year. Also why isn't the internet giving me all of the details of the FART EXPLOSION ANGLE???

leno is in the news lately for being racist

in retrospect he'd fit right in

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Venomous posted:

added to which you have Dana White's overt Trump support, and yeah, UFC seems super anti-labour these days

The boom period of the UFC was built on the back of guys who had no professional alternatives, had no health coverage or promise of treatment, knew they could get blackballed from the only fighting organization worth a drat if they didn't fight through injuries, and in many cases were being paid a princely sum of $2k/2k for their trouble. They've always been 100% anti-labor, it's just now they get to do it at the billion-dollar level.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In retrospect Billy Corgan was treated exactly how he deserved to be by TNA.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
UFC has been circling the drain from a combination of factors

Zuffa selling it

Joe Silva leaving

Letting Conor do whatever thereby losing their monopoly on talent

Inability to make stars and when stars fo emerge keep giving them too mych preferential treatment thereby making them less impressive

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd disagree with the last line and don't think UFC is definitively circling the drain.

Then again the only other competition to compare them to is Bellator(which is under Scott Coker's management), Rizin (running Kickstarters to keep their events going) and ONE FC (who do equally scummy/shady things).

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

CarlCX posted:

The boom period of the UFC was built on the back of guys who had no professional alternatives, had no health coverage or promise of treatment, knew they could get blackballed from the only fighting organization worth a drat if they didn't fight through injuries, and in many cases were being paid a princely sum of $2k/2k for their trouble. They've always been 100% anti-labor, it's just now they get to do it at the billion-dollar level.

The only thing that made UFC appealing for lower-to-mid-card-forever guys was that they could get paid 5 figures to wear shorts with "CONDOM DEPOT" stamped on their rear end, and the Reebok deal took that away

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Probably the most hosed over by the Reebok deal with Demetrius Johnson who was at the time probably the best p4p fighter alive, but since he was in the flyweight division UFC never paid him nearly as much as they should have, but he was sponsored by Microsoft/Xbox which was probably a really sweet deal

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The Reebok deal was a scam anyway, the entire purpose of doing it was to make the UFC more enticing to potential buyers. They had no intention of running the company with Reebok for the future, it was just a deal sweetener. Made them extra billions so it worked but still.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

T-Hawk's failed push in Dragon Gate. There are a lot of WWE examples brought up in this thread, but the T-Hawk stuff feels more egergious because Dragon Gate is good and not bad like WWE, so when they're bad it stands out more. Dragon Gate basically spent four years trying to build T-Hawk as their next ace, and it never ever took. They tried making him a tweener, a face, a heel, the top heel, everything. And it never took. The crowds were ice cold to him, and despite being an actually pretty good wrestler, he couldn't cut a promo and he never quite had the inate charisma to overcome that. T-Hawk got a bunch of rubs, winning King of Gate and main eventing Kobe World in a year when it really really should have been Naruki Doi, and as a heel he was the one who finally ended the Jimmyz, probably the most beloved stable in Dragon Gate history. His push, and CIMA's attempts to get him over, bowled over other storylines and characters, and took massive focus and rubs away from other young guys like Eita, Big R Shimizu, U-T, Kaito Ishida, and El Lindaman, and it's no surprise that all of those guys were immediatly able to step up and be huge the moment T-Hawk left with CIMA in 2018.

Also the absolute worst thing on screen in wrestling this decade was Heel Cole.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Thank you T-Hawk for showing the answer

Worst of the 2010s is Ring of Honor.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

The worst haircut of the decade goes to Tyson Kidd:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you've forgotten about the post-2008 undercut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

I just looked it up and apparently that picture was taken in the 2000s.

Enzo is my new pick for worst hair of the decade.