Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Dolph's brief but awful brown haircut from like 2011 that somehow made him look like even more of a goof deserves a mention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

Cena/Rock: Twice in a Lifetime was this decade and it actually got me to hate The Rock.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

bartok posted:

Cena/Rock: Twice in a Lifetime was this decade and it actually got me to hate The Rock.

When I say Wrestle, you say mania!

Wrestle!... *crickets*

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

"Hey, what's the one image you can post that best encapsulates WWE's employment philosophy?"

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Also, according to Cagematch, the worst match of all time took place at the start of this decade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-CWooYf6vY

Obviously not a sign of things to come.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eS6IK5Xy5I

WE ARE WIIIILD AND YOUNG

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
I wish you'd died in the womb.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Well at this point I'm just gonna post dumb poo poo that jumps out in my memory.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 6, 2019

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

We have somehow got to 4 pages without mentioning Claire Lynch and the whole "AJ Styles / Dixie Carter / Birthday Party / Drug Addict / pregnancy" bullshit that TNA did in 2012. Which somehow managed to involve a pre-SCU Kaz and Daniels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWW4J-cmX1w

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

did WWE try to do their own Claire Lynch when AJ came over or is that my imagination creating my own hell

I believe the Anonymous GM was in the 2010s. that was bad, but them putting a halt to the show for Michael Cole to read an email always got a laugh from me. Them turning Khali from a giant monster into a giant dancer. the burial of Zack Ryder deserves another mention because they killed him so bad the first time, but still get a kick out of giving him a little bit of momentum before kicking him in the balls again, though i imagine he doesn't care at this point so whatever. I enjoyed that one RAW after Mania where JBL said "Sometimes they boo the ones they like and cheer the ones they hate!" very fun.

TNA and Billy Corgan's lawsuit is actually one of the best of the decade bc it killed some time for me in classes hoping Billy's courtroom attire had one of his fedoras.

Sexy Star legit shooting on Rosemary is another one.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Huntman posted:

You mentioning this reminded me of the grossest thing I saw this decade in wrestling, the Stardom match between Act Yasukawa & Yoshiko. Well, I say match, it was a mauling and not in a remotely fun way. Deeply unpleasant.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Huntman posted:

Sexy Star has an MMA fight coming up I think this weekend. So she might get whooped by whatever can they dug out for her.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

You mentioning this reminded me of the grossest thing I saw this decade in wrestling, the Stardom match between Act Yasukawa & Yoshiko. Well, I say match, it was a mauling and not in a remotely fun way. Deeply unpleasant.

Wasn't that SEAdLINNNG?

e: wait, no, I'm a dumbass - SEAdLINNNG was the first promotion to book Yoshiko after she shot on Act, my bad

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

oooh gently caress that's a good one (in a bad way). I totally forgot about that. And Yoshiko still getting booked today.

That was her last match in STARDOM and now she pops up in just about every joshi place I believe.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

forkboy84 posted:

The worst thing of this decade is people on this very forum telling me to forgive Yoshiko because shes still being booked.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I deeply regret my decision to google that match just now. Jesus loving christ.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

There's a really good mini set of articles/interviews with Act Yasukawa that came out just a few months before the assault where she talked about growing up with depression, partial blindness, and Grave’s Disease. also her love for samurais.

I believe this was it

https://prowrestlingisart.wordpress.com/2014/03/13/act-yasukawa-the-dirty-dirty-sheets-interview/

if you come out of that article thinking Yoshiko can be forgiven for her actions idk what to tell ya. Act overcame a lot to be a wrestler only for someone to rip it away from her.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Huntman posted:

There's a really good mini set of articles/interviews with Act Yasukawa that came out just a few months before the assault where she talked about growing up with depression, partial blindness, and Grave’s Disease. also her love for samurais.

I believe this was it

https://prowrestlingisart.wordpress.com/2014/03/13/act-yasukawa-the-dirty-dirty-sheets-interview/

if you come out of that article thinking Yoshiko can be forgiven for her actions idk what to tell ya. Act overcame a lot to be a wrestler only for someone to rip it away from her.

But you see people involved in that have forgiven her so its ok now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Huntman posted:

oooh gently caress that's a good one (in a bad way). I totally forgot about that. And Yoshiko still getting booked today.

I just discovered Yoshiko did some MMA after it and the company (Road FC) gave her the nickname The Facecrusher. loving nora.

It's one of those things where the details have never really come out other than what we saw before our eyes. Like, why Yoshiko did it. Plenty of theories though. Like, Act had cut open Yoshiko in a previous match but apologised and didn't really think there was any heat there.

Nanae Takahashi left Stardom to setup SEAdLINNNG at least partially because of this, either because she took the blame as Yoshiko was her trainee or because she was upset at Yoshiko being forced to retire or god only knows. There's theories she told Yoshiko to do that to Act, but unless someone speaks out, and they won't, it's all speculation.

Lamuella posted:

I deeply regret my decision to google that match just now. Jesus loving christ.

Yeah, I should have been clearer in not recommending that. Act ended up with fractured orbital bones, nasal bones & cheek bones. It is horrifying.

I've not seen it since it happened and I can still see it in my mind.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 6, 2019

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Dumb stuff from when I started back up with wrestling in 2011:
- Kevin Nash texting himself from HHH’s phone for some reason and ruining the CM Punk storyline (there was a lot botched with that storyline, but the Nash stuff was the dumbest)
- Rey Mysterio losing the WWE title to Cena an hour after winning
- Burial of Zack Ryder
- “I wish you died in the womb.”
- Funkasaurus
- Sting finally debuting in WWE but having a wet fart of a run (especially the Mania match against HHH)
- 18 seconds
- Roman Reigns’ forced push, especially the tone-deaf Royal Rumble win and “suffering succotash”
- Blood Money PPVs
- Cuck storylines

bartok
May 10, 2006

Here's a few lovely things I remembered:
WWE refusing to put Chyna in their imaginary HoF because she did a few adult films was pretty lovely. I know she eventually got inducted as part of DX but her contribution to WWE deserves more than just another excuse to give HHH and Shawn Michaels another HoF ring.

WWE using Paul Bearer's death as part of the build to the Punk/Taker Mania match.

Having Lars Sullivan make his WWE debut by mostly attacking minorities after it was revealed what a huge racist he was.

Paying tribute to Jimmy Snuka after he died.

The League of Nations and killing Wade Barrett's love of wrestling.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

forkboy84 posted:

Nanae Takahashi left Stardom to setup SEAdLINNNG at least partially because of this, either because she took the blame as Yoshiko was her trainee or because she was upset at Yoshiko being forced to retire or god only knows. There's theories she told Yoshiko to do that to Act, but unless someone speaks out, and they won't, it's all speculation.

I'm pretty sure that even if Nanae never directly told her to do it that its entirely possible within the incredibly toxic environment that pre-incident Stardom was (this can't be overstated: been plenty of interviews with foreigners in Stardom at that time which shone a light on what things were like, there have been some things from the Japanese side of the roster as well plus the fact that you are regularly had people just suddenly retiring or going freelance to work in other places only to come back afterwards when things improved; as Yoko Bito, Saki Kashima and Arisa Hoshiki did) that Yoshiko took that as being what she was meant to do. Even if that didn't happen you also have to talk about the massive failings that the Stardom office had in perpetuating a backstage culture that encouraged bullying and that booked two people in a match that really didn't like each other with it being a powderkeg situation (although that's hindsight really) and on the day Kyohei Wada and Rossy Ogawa not stopping the match earlier which would have played a role in possibly minimising the damage - apparently both thought it was the job of the other but they should have worked that out in advance and a referee as experienced as Wada (been refereeing since 1974, senior All Japan ref since the 90s so hardly some young inexperienced person in a surprising spot that they can't handle) should know that he can step in to stop things in cases like the incident.

My take on Yoshiko is that at that time she was still a young person that was working in a high pressure, toxic work environment (and possibly being told to do certain things by higher ups) without experience working in other places to know that the atmosphere weren't right or normal, that the incident was a terrible, terrible thing that shouldn't have happened but also that it wouldn't be right to punish her forever and ostracise her for something like that. There's an argument that since she'd basically spent her entirely adult life in the wrestling business (she was scouted by Fuka in early 2010 when she was putting together the basis of what became the first generation of Stardom trainees and at the time Yoshiko was 16) that they have a responsibility of helping her out in a situation like this and that just dropping her would have been a bad thing - the loyalty thing goes both ways in Japan in a lot of cases and I think that's the main reason why Nanae formed SEAd; she felt obligated to help out her student. I also don't think we ought to dismiss the views of talent in the scene and those involved in the incident when thinking about it: it appears that bridges have been mended and other than Stardom (where I don't think she'll ever return but more shocking things have happened) there were places that had big reservations about her but those appear to have gone, and its not like she's some mega draw which would help you overlook those, it seems to be a thing that they think that she's done her time and that its in the past. I'm not saying you have to be a fan of hers or even watch her stuff and certainly she'll never really be forgiven by lots of people: I just think that its a very complicated issue that its easy to oversimplify and that as time passes generally everyone is moving on. The MMA stuff was skeevy as gently caress but as soon as she wasn't in with a total jobber she lost which was good.

Its not the only vaguely major Joshi assault in the decade: there was the weird Tsukushi/Kagetsu stabbing thing that happened a few years ago which resulted in Tsukushi getting arrested but with charges not being pressed and then after a press conference everyone stopped talking about it. Ice Ribbon stuck with Tsukushi on that one though; she liked worked only in the office for a few months and then after her return she was stuck in the undercard for a long time as a punishment thing. Ice Ribbon stuck by her and I agree with that one knowing the few facts that we know; she'd been with them since she was 12 and it'd almost certainly be more destructive to rip her away from them support network she has there even with what she did.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

bartok posted:

WWE refusing to put Chyna in their imaginary HoF because she did a few adult films was pretty lovely. I know she eventually got inducted as part of DX but her contribution to WWE deserves more than just another excuse to give HHH and Shawn Michaels another HoF ring.

I'm waiting for the day they induct X-Pac by himself and conveniently forget One Night In Chyna exists.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i only started following wrestling again in 2018 but i can say with confidence that the charlotte and lacey match on some rando raw or smackdown was one of then worst things in the decade.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ASenileAnimal posted:

i only started following wrestling again in 2018 but i can say with confidence that the charlotte and lacey match on some rando raw or smackdown was one of then worst things in the decade.

It's not even the worst Lacey match of the decade

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

ASenileAnimal posted:

If its the famous one that match is incredibly funny and I laughed a lot which means that it can't be the worst thing in the decade: people got some pleasure from it.

Would rather have terrible Shoot Style Lacey Evans over whatever she normally does.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

NXT redemption was insane and pretty cool.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

Thank you for saying this very right opinion.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

Step 1 in a WWE product being enjoyable is Vince having no idea that it exists. Saturday Morning Slam was fun for the same reason.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
One TNA thing I haven't seen mentioned yet - Daffney getting brutalized into retirement by that green idiot from Team 3D's wrestling school in 2010, after TNA had already refused to help pay for the $26000 Daffney still owed for the concussion and hospital visit when Abyss chokeslammed her through a barbed wire table in 2009

There was also that whole promising Jesse Sorensen a job for life thing that ended up only lasting a year

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Has anyone mentioned Voodoo Kin Mafia's home invasion music? That's pretty fuckin' gross. I know we can lump it with Russo in TNA but that deserves some specific call out.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lamuella posted:

We have somehow got to 4 pages without mentioning Claire Lynch and the whole "AJ Styles / Dixie Carter / Birthday Party / Drug Addict / pregnancy" bullshit that TNA did in 2012. Which somehow managed to involve a pre-SCU Kaz and Daniels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWW4J-cmX1w

Okay but that loving owns, actually

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Ad by Khad posted:

that green idiot from Team 3D's wrestling school in 2010
Never ceases to amaze me that TNA's Rosie Lottalove became NXT's Sage Beckett.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

TheKingslayer posted:

Has anyone mentioned Voodoo Kin Mafia's home invasion music? That's pretty fuckin' gross. I know we can lump it with Russo in TNA but that deserves some specific call out.

What is this?

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

https://youtu.be/SO6l8zKuCt4

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Dario the Wop posted:

Never ceases to amaze me that TNA's Rosie Lottalove became NXT's Sage Beckett.

Did she stupidly injure people there too

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Voodoo Kin Mafia were faces, right?
E: Although, I'm fairly certain VKM was finished by 2009? So not eligible for the thread, sadly.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
The 2015 rumble is still a masterclass in how to piss off a crowd. D-Bry getting eliminated in a completely unspectacular, anticlimatic way barely halfway through. All the crowd favourites getting dumped one at a time by Big Show and Kane. The extremely contrived and stupid and yet predictable elimination of those two by Reigns. The exact placement of Reigns in the rumble that just screamed "I am winning." Rusev popping up at the end to cheers and then getting speared immediately. And then the Rock rushing down in the most insultingly transparent attempt to get us all to cheer Roman. Easily the most spiteful gently caress you to a paying audience I've seen from WWE this decade.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Let's not forget:

https://youtu.be/SBluf_YzRg4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

do stardom still sell glamour books featuring underage girls to their mostly older male fans because no way am i googling that poo poo?