Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

My girlfriend and I are bottle raising an orphaned kitten. His mother was a young and tiny stray that was having a lot of difficulty, had an emergency c-section, she didnt make it and the rest of the litter was stillborn. He's currently 6 days old and has been doing mostly well (just over 4 oz weight, good appetite, no problems feeding), but we've run into some problems today.

I suspect now that he had diarrhea the last couple days (consistency and color was fine/loose but frequency was about every other feeding), and today his stool has gotten more firm but he's straining to pass it, and due to the frequent cleanings his butt is quite raw, which means even gentle stimulation just results in him screaming. We get some firm poop out each time but it definitely hurts him and its heartbreaking to do and listen to. Kitten blogs suggested non-zinc diaper cream or preparation H to sooth but even light applications result in more screaming.

He acts fine otherwise: healthy appetite, sleeps well, though tired this evening from fighting us. Mostly I'm looking for how to keep him clean without continue to accidentally torture him.

Possibly relevant: We gave him a probiotic mixed with pedialyte earlier, and his current diet is mostly KMR with variations of nutrical, pedialyte, and colostrum mixed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Chaosfeather posted:

I'm sure this thread has people who give good advice, but the foster thread has some excellent resources re: tiny kittens and their care as well. Go ahead and give them a shot. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768887

Thanks for taking in tiny kitten

Thanks, cross posted there.