Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
My best friend Reggie had a splenectomy today after the discovery of a ruptured hemangiosarcoma. Hoping he makes it through recovery, he had lost a fair amount of blood and was anemic prior to surgery.

My vet said he has 6 months, but I'm seeing 1-3 months in online studies, because I'm doing the classic panic move of reading all about cancer after a cancer diagnosis.

I don't think I can afford chemo, which is apparently like 3-5k and I just spent $2k on the surgery so that I didn't have to put him down today.

He turns 8 next month :smith:

I don't necessarily expect any help or advice, I'm just despondent and looking to vent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Reggie survived surgery and he's home with me now, he's so full of energy, it kills me to know that he can't just fight it off.

Is there anything I can do to improve his situation? Far as nutrition or supplements of any kind? Right now they just have him on painkillers and antibiotics for his scar

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Some of my friends Venmo'd me $400 to help pay for the surgery :unsmith:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

YourCreation posted:

Sorry to hear about Reggie. Not a whole lot I'm afraid. Just focus on him enjoying all of the dog things he likes until he's not able to do those things anymore 8(

It's always a crap situation - you often don't find out until they're critically unwell and then you have to make a rush decision about surgery or not. Re: chemo, you don't have to go full out. You could consider referral to an oncologist do discuss palliative care measures to extend quality of life, or even have your veterinarian email and oncologist to see if there is anything they might be able to offer at your own practice.

How was the hemangiosarcoma diagnosis reached? Have you had histology results back yet or is it based on presumption?

He was suddenly lethargic for 2 days, starting to get bloated, lose balance. One night it got really scary and he couldn't get up on the bed.

Next morning we went to the vet first thing, doc gave him an exam, drew blood from his belly, one of the two tumors on his spleen had ruptured. They took him into surgery within an hour. He recovered super quickly and was h home the next day. Staples out next week.

His passion for life is still there, he wants to play soccer like we do every day but I can't let him run, so we walk around a bit, and I pet him. I hope he can make it past the summer, I finally saved enough to afford a down payment on a house in 2018 and this was going to be our second summer with a big back yard to our own.

It's odd because I've been here before with my human best friend in 2013, who died of clear cell sarcoma, an incredibly rare tendon cancer that was truly horrifying. I know what's coming and I can only hope he can heal up quickly and get back on the pitch for a few months.

Is there a consistent decline in health with this condition or do things just eventually reach a state where he'll become sluggish again?

God it's just so hard even to write all this. He's a being of pure love, and my heart breaks every time he does something he's done a thousand times, whether it's pop up whenever I stand up, or grab his ball from the back step when we go outside.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

YourCreation posted:

Just to clarify - have they confirmed the diagnosis by sending the spleen out to a lab or is this based on best guess +/- some X-rays of the chest? I only ask because ~2/3 of the time there is cancer and ~1/3 of the time it is benign (roughly).

It was confirmed. Fortunately he recovered from surgery quickly and has been pretty energetic over the last couple weeks. We spent his 8th birthday out at a park yesterday, and he was doing well.

Selfishly, I'm really glad I'm able to work from home during this COVID crisis, because I spend every hour with Reggie.