Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
We have two cats, both females, regular old domestic shorthairs, both spayed. I found light pink urine on the edge of the litter box liner for one of the two litter boxes. They're in the basement and the cats have had unrestricted access to them for years.

I did some googling and most of the results are "it could be feline lower urinary tract infection, don't panic and get them to an emergency vet if it's after hours, but go to the vet." My vet's office said that if we could collect a urine sample, we wouldn't have to bring the cat, just the sample. They'd do the urinalysis and ask us to bring the cat if a physical visit was needed.

Our younger cat used the litter box just after we cleaned it a few minutes ago (we didn't see anything off, she peed into the litter). Further googling suggested that we could line a litter box with plastic, fill it with plastic shopping bags all crumpled up, and leave the suspect cat in a bathroom with food and water for a few hours, then collect and deliver or refrigerate the sample.

I went ahead and set that up just now, the younger cat is in a bathroom with food, water, the collection litter box, and an open window. My wife and I are both working remote so we'll check on her at 30-minute intervals. Is that a sound course of action or should I try something different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU