Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Is there a preferred canine daily earwash?

My 6-year old Chocolate Lab had a hell of a time with his ears last year (infections which led to hematomas which led to surgeries and a mild scare with anesthesia) but after 9 months, a few thousand dollars, and a loving drum of Claro I think we've got it licked. My vet has had me using straight apple cider vinegar, and specifically undiluted, but it doesn't seem to break up the crusties (what looks like old earwax and clotted blood).

He'll sit nice and still for q-tip missions but I'd rather have something that will knock it down without risking pushing the debris farther in.

I'm still keeping a couple doses of Claro around in case I get even a whiff of infection or gooeyness again, but we're 15 days out from the last dose and things are still looking nice and pink (other than leftover crusties).

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slugworth posted:

I wouldn't recommend it as a daily cleaner (and I'm assuming you don't plan on daily cleaning long term), but Cerumene is fantastic for breaking up ear wax. For maintenance cleaning long term, I like TrizUltra+Keto as it has an antifungal ingredient that helps cut yeast infections off at the knee.

Poor assumption :v: The daily vinegar rinse was specifically recommended by my vet.

Dixville posted:

I'd agree with this. Cerumene and similar squalene/oil based cleaners work well for thicker wax. Triz based cleaners are especially good when you are treating an infection with antibiotics.

You may already know this but generally you want to wait a while after applying claro or osurnia to ears to actually clean them. The leave in stuff can get washed out by cleaners

Re: Claro application, I was told to leave the ear alone (other than observation) for 10 days after application to let it do its thing, which is what I did. I do appreciate you checking on that :) I'm pretty sure at least half my Google calendar reminders are somehow related to dog ears :D

Thank you both so very much, I greatly appreciate your advice. I'll definitely back off the daily application of anything to the ears, pick up some Cerumene for the crusties, and the TrizUltra+Keto for the maintenance cleaning. What kind of schedule would y'all recommend? Twice a week or so? I definitely don't want this coming back because of how much of a bear it is to treat.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Better a vet visit sooner rather than later, take from a guy who's been fighting with his Labrador's ears for what seems like a year now. Vet should be able to do a quick cytology to see what it is and determine how to treat it.

Edit: I am not a vet, just to be clear, I've just learned far more about treating ears than I cared to do otherwise.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 12, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Re: Canine ear infections

My vet and I have been fighting an ear infection in my Labrador for what seems like over a year now. We had been treating with Claro, which seemed to clear things up for a while at each administration, but the thing that has finally knocked it down for good is a professional flush at the vet followed by a 3-week twice-daily course of Surolan. However, I temper this conclusion with the fact that he was on antibiotics at the same time due to some moderate gastrointestinal stress (which turned out to be the result of him eating about 10 lb worth of milk bones he stole out of the box). Do whatever your vet tells you to do, of course, but this course was something that seems to have worked for a particularly stubborn ear infection.

Definitely go to the vet though. Ear infections are not fun for your buddy, and can lead to complications like aural hematoma from excessive head shaking due to the irritation, and permanent nerve damage resulting in a head tilt or balance issues. I spent thousands of dollars on dozens of vet visits for my buddy boy, and he will forever keep his chunky scarred ears due to three aural hematoma surgeries, but his balance issues and head tilt have mostly resolved. I think a lot of my grief comes down to the fact that my parents were taking care of him at the time, and I was not keeping up with the home care. When I finally got off my rear end, brought him into my household, and took control of the situation, things cleared up quickly but a lot of the permanent damage was already done. Don't wait, don't sit on this, attack it immediately and with extreme prejudice.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 5, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I was working an ear infection on my dog for the better part of a year before we finally licked it with a comprehensive cytology and a specially formulated antibiotic solution tailored to what the vet found.