Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrThief
Jan 6, 2001

Hello thread,

I recently lost a kitten to pneumonia and wanted your opinion if I did anything wrong or could have done something different.

One of the stray cats of the neighborhood brought 2 kittens a couple of weeks ago. Fairly feral, the kittens and the mom run away every time I got close to them. I noticed they had signs of upper respiratory infection, runny noses and eyes, but otherwise they seemed healthy and playful. The next day I found one of the kittens dead, so I managed to catch the other one and brought him to the vet. She prescribed some antibiotics and drops to put in the nose and eyes. I kept the kitten in a confined space in the basement along with its mother.

The kitten seemed to get better with the treatment. In the first couple of days he had a bouts of cough that seemed to last up to minute but they gradually disappeared. The kitten was healthy and playful and by now he had gotten used to me. As he was about 8 weeks old on the vets advice I started him on wet kitten food. After 6 days of treatment I brought him back to the vet for reevaluation. She gave the all clear and we even scheduled an appointment for the vaccinations.

The kitten was fine the next day but after 2 days I noticed that the cough came back and now he also had trouble breathing (short and fast breaths). As it was a Sunday I brought him to the emergency vet clinic, where a different vet there diagnosed him with pneumonia. He gave him an antibiotic injection and a different kind of antibiotic to give him at home. We scheduled a reevaluation after 2 days. For the next day the kitten seemed about the same, not better or worse, drinking water but not eating much. When I brought him back to the vet this time he told me that his pneumonia had gotten worse and will need to stay in the clinic. He was put on oxygen, antibiotics, bronchodilators and antiparasitics as the vet thought his pneumonia was probably caused by lungworms. Unfortunately the kitten died during the night.

I know that kittens can get ill very fast, but it still seemed strange to me that he developed pneumonia after being on antibiotics for almost a week, and then crashed so fast. Anything I should keep in mind in case something similar happens in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU