Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

To preface this I was a vet tech for five years (surgery tech) until I left the field last year, so I know that things can and do just happen fast sometimes... but of course I also have that vet med thing of wanting to know all the details ever and second guessing everything with my own pets 🙃

I lost my 'heart dog' back in March. It was incredibly sudden and I guess I'm just looking for an outside set of eyes for peace of mind. He was a 13 year-old NM Vlcak and aside from mild arthritis he was doing fantastic for an old shepherdy-type breed. He'd still have zoomies and was overall spry and happy. Gaba and Novox twice a day longterm, I think for a couple of years at this point. Regular senior bloodwork on February 15th was great.

On a Thursday night (March 30th) I came back from a quick 20 minute trip out to find him laying on the tile not wanting to move. My immediate thought was that he'd slipped and hurt his back with how sudden it was. Colour was ok, maybe a *tiny* bit pale, not painful anywhere on palpation of neck, back, abdomen and legs/feet. Eventually he stood up by himself and seemed to perk back up a bit, later went outside when offered and urinated normally, but was definitely a bit 'off' refused a treat which was a huge red flag. (Normally this dog would sacrifice me for a french fry.)

Friday morning he seemed normal; ate breakfast just fine and seemed back to his regular self. By evening though he seemed off again and was suddenly getting worse fast. Called my vet for a QOL emergency exam and knew deep down that it was probably going to end with him not coming home. (Thankfully the clinic I used to work at is open late and he's familiar with everyone there.) By the time we got there he had to be lifted into the clinic, he was alert but had no energy to even stand.

Doc ran bw and threw a quick ultrasound on his abdomen which showed some free fluid. His bloodwork was an absolute mess. Based on everything combined doc thinks it was a mass which ruptured. Not that there wasn't much of a decision left to make anyway but we made the choice to euthanize.
February annual send-out bw

vs March in-house bw

I guess my question is... is it just lovely luck of the draw and it just developed that fast? :( From what I can see there's no trace of anything wrong on his February bloodwork but just 1 month later it was off the charts. (Based on the numbers looks like maybe it was a kidney mass? Or is it more likely to be a good ol splenic mass? idk) Would a mass like that simply be something not detectable on bloodwork and only findable if you happened to do weird routine rads and ultrasounds? (Which I know isn't reasonable lol) Nothing on that bloodwork says toxin ingestion, right? We'd been having issues with a neighbor but that paranoid thought only occurred to me after body care had already been done, and it's probably highly unlikely anyway.

My vet would be totally willing to have this conversation in depth but we're close and it will end up making me cry so a faceless forum is easier :)

Sock Weasel fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU