Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Sorry your friend is hurting :(

My old cat was helped a lot by daily buprenorphine (sp?) for arthritis pain. The vet preloaded it into little syringes that I just squirted into her mouth. She didn’t like it but it was quick and then she got her favorite treat so she tolerated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Chainclaw posted:

We have a ~5 month old kitten that has had diarrhea problems since day one.

Poor kitty! Years ago one of our cats had IBD and always had yucky runny poops. Coincidentally my husband has IBS and one of the home remedies at the time was to increase the SOLUBLE FIBER in his diet. We tried that with the cat and it helped a lot, so I agree with google on the fiber, but I don’t think the fasting is necessary.

Get some unflavored citrucel (or equivalent) and add a pinch to some watered down wet food and see if it helps. Go easy on it at first though, it doesn’t take much for a little kitty. I think at most our 16lb cat was up to 2 big pinches a day. Also be sure that you get SOLUBLE fiber, insoluble can make it all get horribly worse :cry:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

drat Bananas posted:

You can't have a boney dog not eating. And he struggled so hard against Entyce liquid appetite stimulant when we tried it last time. gently caress. gently caress.

So sorry about your dog. :sympathy:

You could try unusual foods (for a dog) like liver wurst, kippers, chicken nuggets, cheeseburgers, or scrambled eggs. Something that’s kind of stinky and might be a novel food. If he’s in the mood for carbs, my dogs love animal crackers, oatmeal, and buttery pancakes. Since he’s not needing long term nutrition, I don’t think it matters what he eats. Good luck with your doggo.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

I have my answer. Maybe the problem isn’t that he doesn’t like being held down, it’s that the medicine is bad. I dusted off a little bit of a 1/4 clopidogrel tab and tried it.

:gonk:

No wonder the liquids are worse than the pills. I’ll have to ask the compounding pharmacy to encapsulate the cut up pills or just do it myself, this is insane.

Edit: I’m now crushing them myself. This is kind of a pain - any good tools, or am I doing something dumb? I’d like to try one of those big ol trays, but IDK how to get an even dose for every pill.

Are you putting the pills in anything? My cats tolerate pills better in American cheese or butter. The butter works best because it leaves a big greasy mess that they have to clean off after so they are distracted from hating my guts.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nate Breakman posted:

Today when I went out to feed him I found a huge bare spot on his fur:

Weird things can happen. When I was a kid my indoor/outdoor cat got a bald spot like that from being in the truck engine area when it started up. It was amazing that she didn’t get seriously injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

Hello, question about a hen.

A hawk got one of my hens today, but my son was playing in the yard and ran it off before it could kill her.

She is very traumatized and just letting my wife carry her around. She has a puncture wound on her neck that bled a bit, but the bleeding has stopped. She will also drink water if you bring it to her beak.

What's the process here? I plan on putting her in a large dog carrier in the house for a while to calm down a bit and rest. Should I do anything else? What should I look for that would be a bad sign?

Thanks.

I would clean the wound really well with Hibicleanse, vetericyn, or saline if that’s what you have on hand. Then put a bunch of Neosporin (without pain relief) on it.

If she will leave it alone it may be ok to go without a covering but if she scratches at it or tries to dust bathe you’ll need to fashion a bandage. I use a square of gauze and some vet wrap. Getting the right tightness will be difficult so hopefully she won’t need one for long.

My pullet got partially scalped and only had to wear a bonnet for a couple days.