Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Hello goon vets, my poor little puppy has been sick recently and we are working through it, she's firmly on the mend and looking far better than she was a couple of days ago when we had to rush her to the vets at 3am...

However I just have a quick question and looking for a little advice, we just came home from her follow up appointment and they said they can't treat her current UTI due to the recent vomiting etc she's been doing and I have no wish to question that or anything, but I was wondering if there's anything I can do at home over the next few days to help my pup urinate or ease her discomfort without going down the medication route, she will be going back to the vets in a few days per their request if she doesn't improve, but I'd rather we can improve the situation so she doesn't even need the vet if possible.

She's going to have lots of fresh, clean water down all the time obviously but I wondered if there was more I could get doing to help her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
So they didn't run a urine test yet, they will next time if it doesn't clear up, but it seems fairly obvious as she's constantly peeing, often in small amounts in unusual spots, sometimes having difficult peeing as you can hear her in pain and she sometimes gives up, she also often has a string of mucus after she pees from her labia which we keep cleaning up for her in the hopes is makes things more comfortable for her.

She's literally on no medication right now, she just had a 24 hour anti sickness shot 48+ hours ago. The diagnosis for the vomiting was just down to stress/change of diet (we only picked her up Thursday) as the breeder said they would give us a little of the same puppy food and then didn't, among other things. She was absolutely full of gas apparently and that's what was causing the vomiting they think.

I just don't like seeing her in discomfort and obviously want to take care of her as best we can and now she's settling down with her tummy I just want her to be able to pee normally or at least be comfortable for the next few days before we take her back per the vets suggestion.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Cheers I appreciate it.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Holy crap that's awful. I'm really sorry to hear about that for all involved. It sounds silly but it really bothers me more hearing about animals having this crap than people. It must be so much harder for them. :smith:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Hello, me again.

Freja was playing this evening with 3 other dogs we are pretty familiar with, one we are very very familiar with and have known for a couple of years, but it seems the 2 poodles she was playing with this evening (off lead, they've done it before for small periods for training etc and just general zoomies) are a little reactive/badly trained and obviously she's still very excitable but they've all had plenty of time together and seen each other most days.

It only occurred to me this evening, after the incident that we've never seen the 2 poodles on a lead before which should have been a red flag for me in the first place. This morning I saw one of them be a little reactive with a cat so I was obviously paying a little extra attention to him this evening just to be safe, non the less, the other dog but Freja over a stick. Seems he is a little possessive and still considered it his after putting it down and going away...

She yelped and at the time it looked like nothing, she came over to me, I checked her out, couldn't see any bleeding etc and she carried on happily playing with all of the dogs Including the one that bit her... So I honestly just chalked it up to being a learning experience for her and for us to avoid playing with them again in the future.

In the elevator on the way up I noticed she had a little blood above her eye and on deeper inspection, 2 wounds. One small puncture wound and one with more of a slash to it.

We have cleaned it using soap and water, then flushed it with saline and put a pet friendly 3M barrier cream on it over night till I can call the vet in the morning.

Is there anything else we can do this evening? Her breaking is very fast, a lot more than normal, but I'm putting that down the high temps right now and she is on her cooling mat with a fan on her at full speed which has kept her comfortable the last few nights of this heatwave we have. She has plenty of access to water with ice cubes in it too etc but im still worried about the breathing though.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Thank you, my partner is a nurse and she checked all that stuff out awhile ago and made the decision to use it, I know obviously nurse isn't vet but I trust her judgment and she originally got it specifically for the doggo. If there's nothing else we can do that fine, but it's a bit unsettling and she's not settling down at all this evening bless her. She keeps waking up panting..

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'm curious what the "official" veterinary stance is on walking young dogs. I don't think we are over walking etc but there's a lot of conflicting information out there, including our own vet telling us that the internet's 5 mins per month of age is also a common myth and has no scientific basis.

I know knowing your dog is important so as not to push obviously, but just wondered if there was any real actual guidelines other than that.

2 x 30-45 minute walks on average seems perfect for our Old English Bulldog, she's quite muscular by default and sometimes we skip the morning walk if she seems tired from the night before and sometimes if she's full of life from a previous walk being more about sniffing etc we will go longer, she has supplements daily to help her growing joints etc too as she loves climbing and jumping so we have to monitor how high she's climbing/jumping from things all the time. I swear she's a monkey sometimes.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Not a vet, but our puppy has just had surgery on her eye and we get her both a soft cone and an inflatable ring.

The cone offers just as good as protection for her and stops her scratching etc but it's more comfortable for her when in her crate and likely irrelevant with a cat, but it hurts far less when she bumps into the back of your legs.

The inflatable ring is amazing though, she can't scratch or do anything and it's amazingly comfortable for her. She uses it as a pillow to sleep anywhere and everywhere.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I have a medication question.

My dog is on Omaprazole, the same as I am, she's 6 months old now and has been on it for about 6-8 weeks.

But recently she's developed this habit of licking concrete, cardboard and trying to eat soil. I know that's a common thing with dogs when their diet is lacking certain things, but she's on a well balanced diet with very high quality ingredients. We gave her a steak the other day on the off chance her iron levels were a little low and it made no difference...

Now I know Omaprazole isn't meant for long term use due to the side effects it has in people, such as making you very deficient in certain things like potassium in the long term. Is is the same for dogs? Could it be compounded by her young age?

Basically, could the meds have given her some deficiencies?... because it's either that or she's developing pica and I really don't want it to be that.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Hi, I'm a bit concerned about Freja. She's panting, almost all the time.

She's recently had surgery for Entropian on her other eye.. she's on painkillers, getting the correct dose. She has access to water almost all the time. (not over night as she's created for about 6-7 hours but always drinks before bed).

Her eating is fine, she's going to the toilet normally, she's drinking more, I don't think she's sleeping very well in the evening as I can hear her panting in her crate, but she is sleeping a lot more during the day. She's still her normally excited self, plays regularly etc and showing no sign of pain or discomfort but as I said she's just sleeping a bit more, drinking more and panting lots.

She's an 8 month old Old English Bulldog. The house is set to a comfortable temp of 21c. I've not walked her since we noticed the panting and she had her surgery on Friday... I'm not 100% sure but think she was panting a bit much for a day or two before her surgery too so I'm not thinking it's connected.

Sorry if the post is a bit disjointed but it's 2.30am and I can still hear the dog being really unsettled. I'm tempted to open the windows and cool the flat down but it's quite a bit colder outside and if she has some kind of virus etc I'm worried it would make it worse..

We are at the vets on thursday for a follow up RE her surgery and this will be mentioned..do you think it's worth trying to bring the appointment forward or am I over reacting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Possibly relevent is that's she's also in season/heat for the first time and recently stopped bleeding.