Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Pentaghastly posted:

Couldn’t find anything online so I figured I’d ask here:

Is anyone familiar with Endosorb? Is it okay for me to grind it up or does it lose effectiveness?

My dog is on a bland diet right now (read: he picks pieces of chicken out of the rice) so I can’t exactly wrap it in a little piece of cheese or some peanut butter like I used to and he hates pill pockets. And when I tried to put it in his mouth and rub his throat he’d push the pill through the little gap in his teeth with his tongue. I only have two hands so I can’t exactly keep his little lips closed, haha.

So I started grinding it up and mixing it with plain baby food and that seems to work and he hasn’t had any loose stools since we left the vet, that’s a good sign that grinding it up works fine right? I’m just worried because his stools were bloody and hurt him real bad and I want him to feel better :ohdear:

The instructions don't specify so I think you are okay. It would say not to crush or split. Sometimes you gotta pop it just over the back of the tongue, then squirt some water in with a syringe ( if you have one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Hi! Another vet tech here. I think you should go back, is you can, this is something that seems abnormal and it's bothering you.

Did they take x-rays? We always do for our dentals, bit I know some places make them optional.
I honestly can't imagine that large of a shard to be left. It looks jagged, therefore could be uncomfortable. If they did take x-rays, ask for them to review them with you.

Worse case scenario, get a second opinion.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

`Nemesis posted:

Hello, my roomates dog seems to be bothered by one of his ears. It doesn’t look red/irritated, but it smells funny and looks dirty. A few flushes with an otic ear wash hasn’t seemed to help, but I don’t think my roomate is doing it consistently enough to actually help.

Aside from the obvious of rinsing more often, is there a “home remedy” that can be used to kill an infection in a dogs ear?

Otherwise I’ll twist his arm to get the dog in, but it would be nice to avoid the expense.

Odor is usually a sign of infection. The ear canal goes way down and over where you can't see.
If you are confident in ear cleaning you could use a "drying ear cleaner safe for dogs" to flush out the ears thoroughly. Most people are not don't use fluid to reach down. Don't shove anything in the ear.
Otherwise a vet visit! Ear infections are very uncomfortable and most dogs just put up with them until they are very bad.

***There is nothing you can I purchase to resolve an ear infection from the store, it needs to be medication from a vet for a dog

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Ardemia posted:

I have a question about hyperkeratosis and mobility:

I recently moved in to a house with hardwood floors. I'm noticing my dog slip and slide on them, more than she did on tile and vinyl flooring at previous places. I checked her paws and noticed that her hyperkeratosis on her pads seemed to be worse than the last time I checked. She has always been somewhat guarding of people touching her paws and pads. The spots on her pads with more hyperkeratosis than others seem to be extra sensitive/painful to her than other parts of her pads. I'm thinking this is contributing to the slipping and sliding which makes her less likely to walk around the house than she used to.

What can I do to help fix her pads, and otherwise help her mobility on these new, slicker floors? Is there a particular pad balm I could try to help with the hyperkeratosis? She is still walking plenty, up to two miles a day with me when the weather is up to her standards (lol), but I don't want to impede her mobility, and keep her as active and healthy as I can for as long as I can.

The best thing to do is buy cheap carpet runners for every where in the house. dogs lick off balm and they don't work as good as you would like. Talk to your vet if the elbows bleed or smell bad

Peeches
May 25, 2018

My old cat did great with a heating pad, I put them in every room, they helped her old bones feel better and she was able to stay part of the family