Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Hello I used to post here sometimes a long time ago, but I am a DVM in the US (hopefully not for too much longer) finishing up a residency in Neurology/Neurosurgery. Good to see some new people around. I probably can't contribute a ton to helping people with routine medical stuff since I have effectively expunged most non-neuro knowledge from my brain after passing the ACVIM General boards a few months ago. But HI!

Sekhmet fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Cretin90 posted:

Hey guys, could use some advice. To preface this, we’ve been to the vet twice over the issue and the next escalation point is a $3,000-4,000 dollar brain scan (I forget if it was an MRI or ultrasound) so I figured I’d check with the goon hivemind first.

Dog info: 10 year old chihuahua, eats Hills prescription diet i/d digestive care, takes clomicalm 5 mg per day, weight-appropriate native pet omega oil and Dasuquin.

Symptoms/behavior: Erratic movements, sudden jerks to either side. Haven’t noticed it’s always to one side but may be. Sensitive to movement close to her head, in front of her eyes. Sensitive (jerks away) to head touch. When laying down, bursts upright and away from laying down every 20-30 seconds. Sways slightly from side to side when standing. Cuddling seems to help slightly. Typically lasts 30 minutes to 1 hour. First time this occurred was Oct 2022 and has happened 4 times since.

Vets have seen her multiple times (although always AFTER the episode) and theorize potential seizures, have advised she does not appear to be at risk of hurting herself like a usual seizure (flopping over, muscle spasms) so they said to monitor and consider a brain scan (ultrasound I think) if it persists.

If anyone wants a video PM me your number and I can send one, would probably work best with an iPhone so the quality doesn’t get all hosed up.

Any ideas? I’m looking for suggestions I could bring to the vet as the three we’ve discussed it with have been flummoxed. I’m wondering if it’s a panic attack or intense joint pain or something. I’d love to take her to the vet yet again for it but I expect the same outcome which is a $500 bill and no suggestions except “maybe get an expensive brain scan that doesn’t show anything.”

Hello - from the perspective of a vet neurologist, weird “episodes” can be really frustrating and hard to figure out and will probably require several different tiers of diagnostics (general bloodwork, imaging (x-rays/ultrasound) heart/lungs and abdomen, possible specialized bloodwork, and brain/cervical spinal cord MRI), that may or may not yield a good answer. That’s unfortunately the way that those things are if they aren’t classic generalized tonic-clonic seizures or obviously another type of well described episode. Videos CAN help but really the best way they would help is to localize where the problem may be coming from, not what it is actually is. A consultation with a neurologist would potentially help but be ready to possibly not walk out with an actual answer. The benefit would be ruling out things that could be treated if caught early or could be life-altering or life-threatening. But again you need to go into it with the knowledge that you could come up empty on an actual answer.