Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just looking for anyone else with any experience with severe mobility issues.

My 11 year old rescue dog developed a limp over the last couple of months. He’s been on medication since a vet visit. Blood tests came back clear.

The last two weeks or so ago his walk has gotten off balance. His rear legs crossing or stumbling while walking. We took him in to get checked out and X-rays showed pretty bad arthritis in his spine and rear hips. The day after, he either couldn’t or can’t get his hind legs under him.

He as comfortable as can be currently. He’s still eating and drinking, loves visitors and cuddles. He’s like himself with the exception of his hind legs. Am I facing the most difficult decision already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

It's honestly a difficult question for anyone other than you and your vet to answer, but unfortunately mobility issues are a very common reason for quality of life euthanasia. I'm assuming he's already on carprofen or galliprant? Anything else for pain? How large is he,? Would he tolerate a cart? Would a cart work for your life/living situation?

There are a handful of treatments you could try like adequan which might help, but in advanced cases, it probably won't be a huge difference.

Thanks for replying. Yeah, he’s on carprofen and gabopentin. He’s medium sized, about 50 pounds. He might tolerate a cart but we’ve got a lot of stairs in our house.

Stoca Zola posted:

After going through the “is it time yet” experience with my 19 year old cat with inoperable cancer I will always recommend this https://www.lapoflove.com/how-will-i-know-it-is-time/lap-of-love-quality-of-life-scale.pdf to help you assess how things are going. It made a big difference for me and when it was time we really knew it was time. We had something like 9 more months with my buddy before things changed and we knew his quality of life had shifted. I don’t know about the specifics of your dogs situation but my mums arthritis flares up and settles down and she has pain relief to help her keep mobile during the bad times. I hope the checklist helps you work out what to do next.

Thanks for this too.

Edit: after seeing the vet, we’ve decided it’s time. Thanks again.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 15, 2023