Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My 15 year old female cat has suddenly chewed a patch of hair off as of yesterday. She had her yearly and shots a week ago. Came up healthy except for the same high heart rate, every vet ever has commented on.

Per the vet's recommendation, I do have a chest x-ray scheduled to make sure the high heart rate is just fear and not heart disease, so I'll have them check it then.

But yeah, it's freaking me out because this has never happened before.

Located left side and just north of the hip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dixville posted:

There are multiple possible causes but it's not likely to be anything too serious. Cats will chew themselves up just from anxiety sometimes, though usually it would start at a younger age. Another possible cause since it's over a joint (hip) could be arthritis in an older kitty. Sometimes pets will lick or chew an area to soothe pain. Definitely get it checked out by a vet when you can. In the mean time you could actually follow the same advice of the hot spot cat above and use an ecollar, treat for fleas (yes even if they are indoor only) (make sure to use a product marked safe for cats) and maybe bathe if they tolerate it. Maybe a cool compress would work better? Cats don't tend to take too well to bathing.

Disclaimer i am not diagnosing your cat and definitely have it seen by a local vet still!!

Edit - just realized if they got an injection it could possibly be a local reaction in that area. Feline leukemia vaccine is often given at the left hind leg. So another possibility. Just something to consider

Update:
Vet said it looks like an allergic reaction commonly caused by fleas. Although she couldn't find any fleas or flea dirt, we're treating with Bravecta. Unfortunately, this means I have to get over the counter stuff for my roommate's cats :greatgift:

As for the chest x-ray and sonogram, she's got a perfectly healthy heart. She just gets very nervous at the vet. Here she is resting off the anesthesia:

willie_dee posted:

My partners cat has also had this occur. Looks nasty. To those in the know, shall I just suggest the same advice? I’m clueless on pet related advice as I do not have one and there are issues with Vets and Covid at the moment.

Edit: in particular, is there anything she can do to stop the cat scratching at it?

That looks like broken skin, I'd call around and see if you can find a vet, if her's isn't open. Mine is doing contactless transfer through the vestibule, and doing the consult and whatnot over the phone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My 16 year old cat has been having urinary issues, again. About 11 years ago, she had frequent UTIs, had surgery to remove a bunch of bladder stones, and has been on prescription food ever since with no problems until now.

Back at the start of December it started back up again, got a bottle of Clavamox, everything seemed fine. Unfortunately Clavamox causes nausea so I ended up taking her in because she spent all night vomiting right after it was over, but was declared otherwise cured.

At the end of December she started again, but no UTI was found, so I was told it was probably stress (no idea what could cause this cat to stress), was given Prozasin and Gabapentin and had Felaway recommended. I had the vet run a quick xray to check for stones, none found, but we did find a little arthritis near her hips. Things seem fine.

A couple of weeks ago it starts back up again, return to the vet. We did bloodwork, and other than the obvious she's in excellent health for a 16 year old cat. More Clavamox, a 3 pill anti-inflammatory, things seemed fine.

It's only been a few days since she finished the Clavamox and she's finally back to eating good again. Then last night, she started frequenting the litter box with little to no urine, no crying out, no apparent straining, just feels the need to pee a lot.

And yes, I have a vet appointment scheduled for tomorrow, probably going to get a urine culture this time.

I really don't know what could be causing her enough stress to get UTIs again, other than the recent trend of being forced to take Clavamox twice a day and stuffed in her carrier to go to the vet frequently.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I had some gabapentin compounded for my cat when she had pee problems earlier this year, and they couldn't find anything physical, so they assumed it was stress. I was given the option of chicken or seafood flavor.

This just resulted in me exclaiming "it's chicken flavored!" as I attempted to give it to her

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Antivehicular posted:

Do you have a compounding pharmacy local to you? They may be willing to help you with a solution to this that you don't have to DIY. (They may also have other options that are more cat-friendly; some friends of ours have their cat's drugs compounded as a topical cream they can rub into her ears to get into her bloodstream, which is much easier than pilling her.)

My vet will send prescriptions to a compounding pharmacy, I got the option of seafood or chicken flavor.