Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
Haven't earnestly posted in years, and I saw "do not try to use this forum to replace your vet" rule, but I also saw a handful of quick-help questions in here, so I'm hoping I'm not out of line for asking this.

We've got an outdoor/neighborhood cat that I've been feeding daily for a few months now. Total sweetie, very receptive to touch. Seems to be a CNR neuter from his ear snip, we're pretty sure he's right around a year old, since he was smaller when we started feeding him but he hasn't seemed to grow much in the last month or so.

Today when I went out to feed him I found a huge bare spot on his fur:

I saw him around this time last night, so whatever happened to him happened in the last 24 hours. He didn't have any negative reaction when I touched it, so I would guess he's not in any pain? It felt slightly sticky when I touched it, so I wet a paper towel to rinse it off. Didn't notice any real change in the texture, so that tackiness might just be me feeling his skin. Again, didn't seem to be in any pain when I was wiping it down, just a couple of "knock it off" play bites that didn't even make it to my hand. When I first saw him I worried he'd been burned, but like I said I didn't see any damage to the skin, he let me touch it without any incident and he was more than happy to lie down in the dirt for belly rubs. No scratches, so I don't think he got in a fight with something that pulled it out. Maybe he somehow got in some glue? I wouldn't think it was mange or anything like that, this happened literally overnight.

We can't bring him inside right now, we already have a 16-year-old cat and we don't want any physical interaction between them until he gets tested for everything. If this is something worth running him to the vet over I'm open to that, but since this will be his first visit that's hundreds of dollars guaranteed just for testing, shots, etc., nevermind the fact that I'll have to figure out where to get a trap for him just to get him there. I guess I'm mostly just posting this to have my gut double-checked. Does anyone know something I don't?

Here's some too-big-to-post pictures of the bare spot, if that helps at all:
X | X | X

Like I said, I'm an out-of-practice poster so feel free to yell at me if I'm doing something wrong. Bonus belly rub content:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU