Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What's the minimum age for a flea bath for a puppy?

I'm seeing some things that say after 6 weeks is fine, but other things that say wait until 10-12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

YourCreation posted:

Don't use a flea bath.
1) The risk of reactions are higher
2) They have no lasting effect after the bath
3) They don't really control the flea cycle

If you want a one-off thing then use a Capstar, otherwise use one of the approved topic or oral flea preventative thing. For very small or young puppies you want Frontline Spray which is dosed by weight.

Thanks!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

hey guys, 3 year old australian shepherd, no notable Pmhx

was throwing the ball and she turned quickly and hit her head on the right side. Within a couple minutes she had decreased balance, tripped while going up the stairs, started looking very confused. She couldn't stand up straight, was shaking. When she tried to sit she fell right backwards and landed hard, which I've never seen before. She's coming back a little; she just drank a bunch of water. She still seems a little out of it. Pupils are round, reactive to light. Visual fields appear in tact. She's responsive to sound. Just kinda out of it.

She keeps shaking her head, and she's favoring her LEFT ear. Keeps scratching at it. Kinda looks like she's favoring that side of her head in general. Her left ear is lower than her right. She's not tender to palpation anywhere. I don't see any blood from her ear. She's panting very hard but she was playing ten minutes ago so not sure if that means anything.

Do I need to get her checked out for this? Does this sound like a concussion? The brief, total loss of balance is the scariest thing to me. I'm worried she hurt her neck too. She's able to walk right now and it looks like she's walking straight, she's just favoring that left side of her neck

She did appear to be having a seizure for about 20-30 seconds. fine shaking all over her body, then she was kinda uncoordinated

edit* went ahead and went to an emergency vet because there's one very close to me. All of addie's symptoms went away when they tried to take a rectal temperature lmao

Was worth it just to get a reassuring doggie neuro exam and ask the doctor questions. She's fine now. Crisis averted.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 31, 2023