Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Hi goons, my dad’s dog is doing pretty bad and is currently in the ER. I’m about to leave for the 5 hour drive down there to help out. Her name is Gurty.

13+, mutt with possible Boxer, saved from death row on her last day at the pound 12+ years ago.
Almost deaf, bad eyesight.
She started walking in circles in the living room, she will walk for 30-60 minutes and eventually lay down, but next to her bed instead of on it.
She also runs into corners and goes behind things like furniture, she kind of wedges herself in there and the gets stuck and just stands there. She knocks stuff over doing this too.

Video one:
https://youtube.com/shorts/6pSd9ECECNE?si=4WJDZlol3Mn90vta (idk why the gently caress this is a short)
Video two:
https://youtu.be/yGZROpj3HSA?si=DyQBxmeU0j2vRXQz

I guess it got worse and my dad took her to the vet ER earlier this week.
Vet said organs are good, bloodwork is good.
Has spine and bone problems, arthritis, but not super bad. Was still mobile until last night.
She was eating and drinking water but she won’t eat her treats anymore.
Vet kept her for a day and gave her an IV for dehydration, but she was doing better so she got to come home, with prescribed pain meds.
She seems to be having trouble controlling the right side of her body, the vet thinks it could be neurological.
She didn’t really improve after that.

Last night she laid down and was panting pretty hard and kind of shaking. Her back left paw was sort of twitching. She wasn’t able to get back up, my dad to help her. Eventually I went to sleep and I guess she deteriorated because I woke up at 4am with a bunch of missed calls, he had to take her back to the ER.

They think there’s something going on in her brain, possibly a tumor, maybe dementia, but we need an MRI to be sure. But even with the MRI, it’s unlikely they could treat her because she’s too weak to be anesthetized or go through chemo. The other option is the big sleep.

My dad has stage 4 cancer and this dog is his only companion and has been with him through some real hard times. He doesn’t want to let go. I’m driving down there now to help. He’ll listen to me when I tell him what to do next, so this is entirely on me at this point. I don’t want to tell him the wrong thing, but I’m leaning towards ending her suffering. She just looks done to me. But I wanted to get some goon opinions before I do anything.

FYI - I won’t be able to check for replies until later today since I’ll be driving.

Report from the ER visit:

Screenshot from FaceTime last night:

Better times:

Thanks for reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Carebear posted:

I'm sorry for your father. Saying goodbye is hard. There's a list of differentials here, but I'd put money on a brain tumor. If her quality of life is poor and she's having more bad vs good days then it's time to start thinking about letting her go peacefully. There are veterinary services that will come to your home in some areas. Sometimes asking for a quality of life consult with your normal vet can help as well.

Thank you. She has passed. We couldn’t find a house call vet because it’s Saturday and we did not want to put her through the trip home anyway. I don’t think she even knew where she was at the end, but she knew she was with us. Putting her through any more was just out of the question once we saw her. It took a while before we could get her to recognize us, but once she did, we could tell that she relaxed and was very calm.

Thanks again for the response, it makes us feel better about making the tough choice.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I am very glad your pup is okay. :unsmith: It was absolutely worth it to get a professional opinion and make sure. You did the right thing.