Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.
We adopted a female husky mix, who was a stray that was brought in to the shelter. Adopted her the day she became available, so it was also the day she was spayed. Shelter said she's around 12 months but the vet thinks closer to 2 years.

The shelter didn't provide meds so we took her to our vet the very next morning where she received 3 days of gabapentin and cerenia.

We've set her up in the guest bedroom, she's been in a suitical and I've been sleeping on the floor next to her cage. She had fleas and has been chewing her legs and licking her paws, but has been very good about not licking her sutures.

The stitches didn't look that great from the start, but on day 4 (yesterday) it started to look wet and irritated. The redness had gone down and there was no smell sticking my nose right up to it. Today is day 5 and it looks more irritated and red. Still absolutely no smell. My best guess is she's finding a way to get under the suitical at night and has started to lick the stitches so we've been watching her at all times.

Shelter is closed all weekend (and also has a "she's yours now good luck" stance). Our primary vet says all of their doctors were out Wednesday thru Sunday, and our secondary vet was unavailable Friday through Sunday.

Yesterday I was a little concerned, but she's been good on short leashed walks and has been eating and drinking normal. Today it looks a little more concerning, but not as bad as photos I've googled.

Below are daily pictures. Hoping to receive advice on whether we need to find someone to see her today, or if waiting until tomorrow at 7am to hit the vet is a good idea, or if I'm overthinking things.

She hasn't eaten her food this morning (usually eats around 10am) but it's also her first day without gabapentin.

Day 2 sutures

Day 3 (white balance is off from color of suitical)

Day 4 - first sign of wetness, less red than before and 0 smell

Day 5 - increasingly red still 0 smell

COOKIE DELIGHT fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
That was very helpful, seriously appreciate you taking a look and providing some insight.

The stitches have looked pretty rough from the get go, but the shelter here is massively overstuffed and overwhelmed. The employees were all great to the animals and knowledgeable/helpful despite the circumstances.

She did finally eat a small amount later in the evening and finished a bowl this morning. The lack of interest for her food may have been from me feeding her about 1/6th a slice of kraft cheese while working on leash comfortability in the living room.

She'd not been super stoked on the kibble before this, so we tried adding some broth we picked up from the pet store, but she still liked to push it around with her nose, pick up a piece and spit it out.

The vet opens shortly and I can hopefully bring her in for a look.

Thanks!

e: Vet said exactly what you said and prescribed Animax ointment to make sure it doesn't become a problem. By yesterday afternoon she's very clearly feeling better, eating normal and acting much more like a husky.

COOKIE DELIGHT fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 26, 2023

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I am nearly certain this warrants a vet visit, but wanted to ask here in case anyone had ideas. We had asked at the last vet visit and they didn't have much to say other than give it time and report back.

Our newly adopted husky has a discrepancy in the musculature and thickness of her legs; both front and back on the left side are slightly smaller than her right legs. Not just muscles, even the tendons seem thinner.

She was very malnourished and in poor shape when we adopted her 7 weeks ago. She is possibly a year old and no older than 2 years.

She gets up to 3 hours a day of hiking (slowly increasing as her health improves) so it shouldn't be atrophy from a lack of recent exercise.

She was very unstable at first (legs would shake when standing still) but that has improved a lot. She will occasionally limp for a few steps and then return to normal gait.

Asking here because the vets in our town have been very understaffed due to experiences vets retiring.

COOKIE DELIGHT fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 13, 2023

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006

Crooked Booty posted:

A 1-2 year old dog should not be routinely limping after getting up, so I would investigate this with your vet. She could have old orthopedic injuries or hereditary joint issues like hip/elbow dysplasia. Any source of pain can cause a dog to bear less weight on the affected limb(s), even imperceptibly, resulting in persistent atrophy.

Thanks for the insight and the helpful response. I'm definitely down to get a vet visit scheduled and see if they are able to look into it.

We are currently using a 2hounds no-pull freedom harness. Her pulling on walks is all but gone except for prey-driven scenarios. I have wondered if we should switch her harness now to something that doesn't front clip, or one that isn't positioned around the front shoulders. If nothing else, it might be helpful to confirm that wasn't part of the issue.

Thanks again!