Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Actually all of Child's Play 2 is good because it has Kyle in it and all the Child's Play and Chucky movies are good (some less than others) and so is the TV show :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I learned this year that I shared my birthday with Wendy Carlos, which was a really wonderful thing to learn :)

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Shard posted:

So I was browsing movies on Tubi and I saw something that was like how the gently caress was this a movie. I think it was called angel, and the tagline was high school honor student by day, hollywood prostitute by night. What the gently caress hollywood

That movie loving rules. Has one of the coolest trans characters ever. Fantastically weird villain. Incredible vibes, great cast of Hollywood Boulevard weirdos. Super fun exploitation flick.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I do not think the show about a town full of weird people would be improved with the removal of any of the weird people

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Barry Bluejeans posted:

and the videogame Deadly Premonition is basically Twin Peaks if it was made by Tommy Wiseau

Pretty reductive description. Swery, while an imperfect writer, is smart, empathetic, and funny. Tommy Wiseau is egomaniacal and doesn't know what the hell he's doing as an artist. Swery does, and much of the surreal humor is completely intentional, and his works contain a lot of high camp. While the game was always outdated and the combat and environments are rough, it's the ports that make it especially buggy and messy and where it got a lot of its reputation. Don't get me wrong, it's hilarious flipping a car or watching things drive through buildings and the car controls and combat are bad, but the actual story and characters are phenomenal. Swery's other works are similar.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

NienNunb posted:

Twin Peaks is the most important show of my life, maybe. I don’t know. Leave me alone.

David Lynch has so much beauty to give if you have the heart to accept it and the eyes to see

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

apophenium posted:

Is it possible to meaningfully spoil Twin Peaks? Like if you told me right now who killed Laura Palmer would that mean anything to me?

Uh, yeah? It's only one of the big central mysteries of the show. While it was never meant to be revealed in its original conception nor the "point" of the show, it's still a major plot beat that by the time you watch Fire Walk With Me is a huge connecting point that is pivotal to the emotional center of the series.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

neoaxd posted:

It's brutal, yeah, but it's also one of the best ones ever, imo.

Honestly at this point to me it's barely a cliffhanger, rather just a standard horror downer ending that when paired with the way the movie recontextualizes so much is so good in how brutal it is. However they got there, Frost and Lynch told a really beautiful tragedy about small town life and lurking evil and the perils of evangelizing someone before and after their death.

I'm a few episodes into The Return and wholly on board with it, but if Fire Walk With Me was all we had gotten post-series it would have still been a complete finale to me.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

NienNunb posted:

We should all post our Topsters again soon, see how our music tastes have changed in the last few years.

Hello everyone. Music.

EDIT: augh pretend I put Heroes Vol. 1 by Mega Ran on here too

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Surprised, pleasantly, at Scooter getting the reactions. I listened to that album incessantly growing up and it sticks in my regular rotation when the mood arises.

The criminal part of that particular Scooter album is how the versions on streaming all change the song Roll Baby Roll to an inferior edit named Swinging In The Jungle due to woke copyright. I will cling to that CD and the rip on my iPod 'til the day I die.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

NienNunb posted:

Would if I could, I promise you. If I had the space I would be a CRT psycho in a heartbeat.

I recommend it! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

That breaks my heart :( I bet it would have looked cool. Those poor TVs. That scene in Cowboy Bebop is inspirational to me.

I know video distribution was hardly the issue here but in the future, if you want to try the effect again, getting an AV-to-RF adapter (or old VCR with RF output) and then a coaxial splitter and running coax cable to each set may be the way to go. Most sets' coax inputs are more reliable than finding ones with working RCA jacks, and it allows you to go older (and cheaper!) since even ones without RCA usually have some form of antenna input.

You could also get crafty with it and mount LCDs inside boxy chassis but that wouldn't nearly be as cool. Still, even modern TVs often accept coaxial even as RCA connectors are phased out, you just have to make sure in the settings it knows to scan for analogue channels instead of just digital.

Benefit of having a CRT in my guest room: I get to take funny pictures when I play Mario Party 3 with friends.