Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Brother Foochs we are all on this dumb rock fighting our fights and if it would benefit you at all to put any of it into words it wouldn't be wasted. "Importance" really does mean jack poo poo, because what is important anyways, if not the struggles we face as individuals? What's more important than one's own self?

I think often about this quote from Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders:

quote:

His mind was freshly inclined to sorrow; toward the fact that the world was full of sorrow; that all were suffering; that whatever way one took in the world one must try to remember that all were suffering (non content all wronged, neglected, overlooked, misunderstood), and therefore one must do what one could to lighten the load of those with whom one came into contact; that his current state of sorrow was not uniquely his, not at all, but rather, its like had been felt, would yet be felt, by scores of others in all times, in every time, and must not be prolonged or exaggerated, because, in this state, he could be of no help to anyone, and given that his position in the world situated him to be either of great help or great harm, it would not do to stay low, if he could help it.

All were in sorrow, or had been, or soon would be.

It was the nature of things.

Though on the surface is seemed every person was different, this was not true.

At the core of each lay suffering; our eventual end; the many loses we must experience on the way to that end.

We must try to see one another in this way.

As suffering limited beings-

Perennially outmatched by circumstance, inadequately endowed with compensatory graces.

His sympathy extended to all in this instant, blundering in its strict logic, across all divides.

Foochs, EMF, Shard, Coconono, I have love for yall, I'm glad to post here with you guys and I wish the best for all of you in these uneasy times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
The AZ in my username says it all
About my thoughts on basketball
And how I feel about Chris Paul
And the Suns who could have won it all

Bucks fans laugh, "The dream is toast!
Suns in 4? A foolish boast!
Your week's been wrecked, you'll have no fun
In the valley of the sun"

But then I stand with head held high
I look the haters in the eye
Through gritted teeth I say to them
"Dynamite tomorrow at 8pm"

Ibexaz fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 21, 2021

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Godzilla 98

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Really liked Pig, intelligent filmmaking with a solid script that never goes quite where you expect, solid 8/10

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Got an interview today for more money and less stress in a WFH environment. I'm excited at the prospect but hate the thought of leaving my current skeleton crew behind to deal with the unmanageable level of work our team is currently under, but that's also my lovely company's fault and not mine!

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

4 has the best cast, 5 has the best ~style~ and 3 idk I didn't play too much of it I only had it on the PSP (Playstation Portable not Punchsport Pagoda)

Ibexaz fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 29, 2021

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The rcp90 was insane because it reloaded just as fast as any other gun in that game but had 3x the magazine size, such a shredder

Also shoutout to the laptop gun from Perfect Dark

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Just got destroyed in a guilty gear tournament but my roommate came back from losers to win the belt, 2x champ in some real fuckin good games against the final boss of our group, I'm so happy rn

Early last year Xavier Woods rolled through with Mega Ran and my buddy got him to film an inspirational fighting game promo for me, I watch it before every match and even though I lose every time I love my buds and I love wrestling and the FGC is the closest I'll come to living that life and I'm kinda drunk and fukkkkkk guilty gear is so good #psp

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Eat My Fuc posted:

So sick because you just lay down supressing fire and throw the fuckin thing behind their cover you could make a whole game based on a gun like that.

Dude perfect dark had such an amazing variety of weapons, especially with their second fires. The farsight was such an inspired weapon, did any gun from a FPS allow you to shoot through walls before that gun? What the gently caress. It was on the N64

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Eat My Fuc posted:

blocking the door in the firing range with the crate so you can shoot crossbow arrows into the invincible npc gun range guy’s dick and laugh

Lmfao EMF you get me

Gumball Gumption posted:

This made me very happy and I really want guilty gear even though I'm awful at all fighting games.

I'm the loserist loser in losers bracket but I think Guilty Gear is a great fighter for inexperienced or bad players. Each character is so finely tuned that they're all fun to play, when I was hopping around all the characters I could immediately tell what their strengths were, which is something I can't say for most other fighter I've played. They all just feel right.

Usually I struggle to find a main but everyone in GG feels like a killer, no character I'd mark below a B or C on a tier list

Ibexaz fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 1, 2021

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Minority Report had great ragdoll and you could pick dudes up and shoot them in the chest with your gun and then toss them out a skyscraper window, that game ruled.

Deus Ex 2's ragdolls were so funny, my copy of that game ran like poo poo during dialogue so I'd just load into the intro apartments and mess with all the physics objects. The ragdoll physics in this game kinda reminded me of Escape From Butcher Bay with that same bouncy quality but way worse.

I liked that one level in Unreal Tournament 2004 that had the death pit with bars going across because you could plinko your ragdoll down and it was hilarious every time

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Yeahhhhh that's how TWDG goes. I stuck through ssn 2 because the relationship between Clem and Kenny (The only character I've ever cosplayed) was engaging to see through to the end, and then season 3 throws all that out a window during a flashback and I just stopped there.

I dunno how that first walking dead game holds up but I'll always remember it fondly. I have no desire to ever go through the others lol

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

I'm not even too bummed out if my "choices matter" game railroads me if the story they're telling is worth the ride. But I don't think anything in TWDG (from what I've played) matches the strength their script had in that first season.

Witcher 2 had probably the biggest diversion I've seen from a "choices matter" game by giving you completely different towns, quests and goals for its last half based on what you chose to do. It was cool!

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Captain Magic posted:

There’s something about liberal engagement with media that puts this premium on suffering lovely, tiresome plot and character “for the good stuff” because of a belief that they have to be the adults who see the value in the things others don’t have patience for. Something like they could read the books school teachers assigned them (so many of which are also boring slogs) and so now want to continue the recognition for putting up with mediocre entertainment now because what we consume is a self-identifier instead of anything worthwhile.

When Umberto Eco wrote The Name Of The Rose he purposefully wrote the first chunk to be difficult and impenetrable, saying:

"After reading the manuscript, my friends and editors suggested I abbreviate the first hundred pages, which they found very difficult and demanding. Without thinking twice, I refused, because, as I insisted, if somebody wanted to enter the abbey and live there for seven days, he had to accept the abbeys own pace. If he could not, he would never manage to read the whole book. Therefore those first hundred pages are like a penance or an initiation, and if someone does not like them, so much the worse for him. He can stay at the foot of the hill."

Which owns and is hilarious. Theological murder mysteries and sci fi epics might not be all too similar but I always enjoyed this explanation. I've never read Dune so idk if it's good or not. But I think "people are performatively engaging with boring or tedious entertainment to seem smart" is an odd take.

I guess I can't disagree with it as I'm sure it happens, but as long as you're not still reading only Harry Potter in your 30s I can't really say I care what people decide to read, even if they're only reading Dune for liberal smart guy clout

Ibexaz fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 8, 2021

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Loved visiting LA but could never actually live there. Was really fun driving around and checking out filming locations last time I was out there. Stumbled on the donut shop in Tangerine, caught some music at that jazz cafe in La La Land, and ate at the exact table (or so they claimed) they filmed at for the Reservoir Dogs intro. Feel like that type of stuff would never get old to me. But forget having to navigate those freeways every day, no way

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

I live in a big grid your spaghetti city makes no sense

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

I picked up VR for Alyx and had expected to spend most of my time in those longer, story driven games but I've actually spent way more time in games like beatsaber, table tennis and pistol whip-- games that keep your heart rate up and act more like calisthenics exercises than anything. Those games alongside yoga kept me sane through quarantine

Edit:

drat the topic moves fast. Liquid I'm happy you got diagnosed, man. As an autistic adult I tend to hide that diagnosis from people until it's relevant, but I always need to remind myself that it doesn't define who I am as a person, it just provides context to some of my behaviors and thought patterns. You've only got one brain and you gotta be friends with it. I'm glad you got some insight to, maybe, understand that brain a little more. That's cause for celebration, imo.

Ibexaz fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 29, 2021

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Everyone already knows about Katamari Damacy and it's not like it's difficult to play nowadways with the recent PC release, but no discussion of PS2 gems is complete without highlighting how incredible that game and its soundtrack is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhlW2roqg7Y

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Annihilation was exactly the film I needed to see when I saw it, what a great film. I walked out of that theater with a lot to think about.

I caught his TV show Devs on Hulu which was interesting. Felt a little too Mr Robot for my liking but I think it worked as a whole. After that I watched Arrival for the first time and that movie bangs

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Yeah I loved Sunshine when I was younger, I'd be down to watch it again if only to see how it holds up. I remember thinking that even if the back half wasn't what I wanted it still did a well enough job of making it all work together

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The Matrix is a Terminator 2, Fury Road tier masterpiece that has a sense of danger that the sequels never really capture in the same way. Reloaded comes close in two scenes, those being the freeway chase, and the final confrontation with Trinity and the agent in the power plant. Revolutions doesn't really nail the same feelings imo but it does have that song Navras which is a goat tier final boss theme song to use in my stick figure fights for Newgrounds

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

I like that even if someone's not a Wes Anderson fan there's typically one of his films they'll give a pass to, and it's always different person to person

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

My big adventure game of choice lately has been Assassins Creed Odyssey which is serviceable in the combat sense but has stellar exploration. I've loved just sailing around to all the islands and wandering around the cities, using the photo mode and reading up on historical sites. It's been a great mindless wind-down after a stressful day

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Shard posted:

I picked up Neir Replicant remake for the ps5 and man that game is just hitting all my chill buttons. I've put 10 hours in so far and have only done like 5 main quests. Just going around doing side quests, fishing and fighting along with THAT SOUNDTRACK is like the most plug in and chill experience I've had with a game in a long time.

Nier rules, did you ever play Automata? What a series. Best D&D soundtrack you'll ever find.

The best thing Yoko Taro ever did was setting Nier in the Drakengard universe so 16 year old me could say "wait that batshit crazy PS2 game my brother had? I gotta see what this Neir game is all about!"

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Wardlow 267

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Vamp survivor is great simple fun, there's not a million weapons or status effects you gotta learn yet you're making builds that absolutely shred, excited to see how it grows over time. Great game to kill half an hour with.

Recently hopped back into Dyson Sphere Program which is a great game to kill six hours with. You'll tweak one or two things on your supply line and then all of a sudden it's 2am and your eyes are bloodshot. All the QoL improvements have been incredible since I last played, I'm 70 hours deep across two save files and I've still yet to even start on the sphere itself! Love this game

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The golden era for me was with moviepass. There was a sub shop next to the theater that gave half off subs with a movie ticket so I'd be able to catch lunch and a flick for like 5 bucks. I abused the hell out of that

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

NienNunb posted:

If they made a version of Perfect Dark that didn’t run at 2 FPS I would literally only play that for the rest of my life

That had that Xbox 360 remake that's on gamepass, luv Perfect Dark

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

NienNunb posted:

Gaming? On a computer??

U can play it on ur phone

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Thousand Year Door is an all timer too

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

It's been A Month

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Ive been struck by The Dragon's curse and the only cure is more kickboxing

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Why is Bloodfist 3 the best one

All the Bloodfists (And the cybertrackers) are ripoffs of better films you've seen before, and a lot of the fun has been guessing what ripoff you're watching as the film goes along. Where Bloodfists 1 and 2 were middling kickboxer tournament stories, Bloodfist 3 is a grimy prison flick that seems like it's trying to be something more than what it is. It's seedy enough to warrant a TW for prison violence, and it's by no means a great movie, but it's by far my favorite Bloodfist, and the most memorable one of the bunch.

That being said, the most fun out of all the Don "The Dragon" Wilson movies I've seen this month has got to be Cybertracker 2, which is a baffling Terminator 1 and 2 ripoff. It's a good time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlqe7jD7J5c

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Alton Brown once told me I should've been put up for adoption because I said I didn't like bacon

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

It was destructive but now I use it in my two truths and a lie in team building exercises so thank u Alton

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

Is Alton Brown your dad?

It was at a live show and he asked who didn't like bacon and I raised my hand so he singled me out and asked who cooked the bacon in my house growing up. I said my dad did, and he said well you don't hate bacon you hate your dad and he should have gotten rid of you

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The Stroker Ace posted:

Anyone picking up the Blade Runner remake that’s coming out in a few days? I don’t remember much except I liked it, it was the very first PC game I ever played after I financed a Gateway in college.

Whoa thanks for putting this on my radar, I never played the original but did catch Mandalores video on it, made it seem super cool. I'll probably end up snagging this one

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The Stroker Ace posted:

The minor league ballpark I worked at would play Closing Time when they announced the concessions were closing. It used to bother the poo poo out of me and I would wait until the song was over before I’d break down the snow cone stand.

They do this at my bowling alley and I wondered how the workers felt about it night after night

Edit:

I get weirdly sentimental about the music in the first super mario bros game lol. World 1-2 hits some of the earliest parts of my nostalgia brain in a way that nothing else does. Love that plumber

Ibexaz fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 30, 2022

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

a cyborg mug posted:

Hi thread Prey (2017) is somewhat wonky in execution but good fuckin lorb I loved every bit of it (apart from Nightmares!!!) and the story and even the conceptually very risky ending kicked my rear end so hard I’m thinking about it 100% of the time now. Also Mooncrash seems amazing.

Rarely does a video game and its story make me desperately want to discuss its theming and poo poo. Alright

Man I adored Prey, currently trying to get a few buds to give it a shot. Absolutely loved the ending and the implications introduced with it. Also loved how certain side quests brought up some tough questions with no clear right answer on how to handle them. You can make a decision in Prey and then spend the rest of the game with that decision in the back of your mind, wondering if you did the right thing. It's awesome.

Was pretty happy to get the achievement for completing the game in the most empathetic way without knowing how the game would react to the decisions I was making. Also really loved the world building, there's a completely skippable body in the space station that leaves a message behind that chilled my blood when I stumbled on it.

Really memorable game, that Prey. Highly recommend to anyone who ever liked a Bioshock or a Dishonored or a Deus Ex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

PlatinumJukebox posted:

This is neat, Shard Jr has a real knack for character design. I like the colour coding too.

e: while I'm unlurking, can any goons recommend a good detective game? Not a game where you just play a detective, one where you have to investigate and make deductions. Just watched a Return of the Obra Dinn LP and it's given me a great yearning for that kinda thing.
Was gonna hit you with a big ol Obra Dinn rec before getting to your last sentence, haha. Nothing really tops that one imo, but another one I'd highly recommend is The Forgotten City